ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa's May 21 RPI is 66 (WAS 34 ON APR 1); Overall Strength of Schedule is 124 (WAS 54 ON MAY 7)

Iowa slipped a bit after losing 2 of 3 to Minny.

RPI's after completion of Apr 22 games:

26 IU
39 OSU
40 Minnesota
45 Iowa
54 Michigan
58 Illinois
76 Purdue
117 Nebraska
123 Maryland
140 Rutgers
203 Mich State
209 Penn State
241 Northwestern

Here are the conference standings with the RPI from Franisdaman
DbeAO9dW4AANF-7.jpg

Iowa slipped a bit after losing 2 of 3 to Minny.

RPI's after completion of Apr 22 games:

26 IU
31 Missouri
36 Oklahoma State

39 OSU
40 Minnesota
45 Iowa
54 Michigan
58 Illinois
76 Purdue
117 Nebraska
123 Maryland
140 Rutgers
203 Mich State
209 Penn State
241 Northwestern
Although they lost the series, Iowa was able to quiet the bats of one of the nations best offensive teams this weekend. One more timely hit and Iowa could have easily won the series.

One thing I thought was interesting on the BTN broadcast was no mention of the schedule imbalance in the B1G. They kept mentioning that Michigan is undefeated, but here's who they've played: Michigan State, Northwestern, Maryland, and Penn State. Iowa has played: Indiana, Illinois, Ohio State, Nebraska, and Minnesota. Michigan has played 4 of the 5 worst teams whereas Iowa has played 4 of the 5 best teams plus Nebby.

Either way the schedule is still going to be tough for Iowa the next 2 weeks with series against Michigan and Oklahoma State with a midweek matchup with Mizzu in between. I'll be at the games Friday and Saturday. Should be fun!

Although they lost the series, Iowa was able to quiet the bats of one of the nations best offensive teams this weekend. One more timely hit and Iowa could have easily won the series.

One thing I thought was interesting on the BTN broadcast was no mention of the schedule imbalance in the B1G. They kept mentioning that Michigan is undefeated, but here's who they've played: Michigan State, Northwestern, Maryland, and Penn State. Iowa has played: Indiana, Illinois, Ohio State, Nebraska, and Minnesota. Michigan has played 4 of the 5 worst teams whereas Iowa has played 4 of the 5 best teams plus Nebby.

Either way the schedule is still going to be tough for Iowa the next 2 weeks with series against Michigan and Oklahoma State with a midweek matchup with Mizzu in between. I'll be at the games Friday and Saturday. Should be fun!
its a tough schedule for sure.

whats cool is the interest that people have with Heller in charge. they play a fun brand of baseball that is fun to watch

hopefully there are some good crowds for the remaining home schedule

Wild horses would not be able to drag me away from this weekend's series against the Wolverines.

You know what will keep me away?

My daughter's graduation at . . . yep . . . the University of Michigan. Irony of ironies.

I'll be celebrating her graduation on both Friday and Saturday while getting updates on Twitter or having the game going on BTN To Go.

Go Hawks! Huge weekend.

Wild horses would not be able to drag me away from this weekend's series against the Wolverines.

You know what will keep me away?

My daughter's graduation at . . . yep . . . the University of Michigan. Irony of ironies.

I'll be celebrating her graduation on both Friday and Saturday while getting updates on Twitter or having the game going on BTN To Go.

Go Hawks! Huge weekend.

i will have free live game video links and the video looks great on a smart phone

when watching on your phone the only thing that is different is when the page comes up you have to hit the play button

Reactions: 750075 and HawkPT
i will have free live game video links and the video looks great on a smart phone

when watching on your phone the only thing that is different is when the page comes up you have to hit the play button

Great to know. Will be more than happy to celebrate some Hawkeye wins in "enemy" territory. Although, to be fair, the good folks in Ann Arbor were awfully friendly with me as they watched Iowa smoke Ohio State this past Fall (that weekend was Parent's Weekend in Ann Arbor).

Illinois dropping 2/3 to Grand Canyon did not help our RPI out either. Illinois fell like 30 spots by going 1-2.

Most publications I reviewed last week had Illinois in the NCAA tournament. If they fall out of contention, that may end up helping (RPI be damned).

Iowa slipped one spot after taking 2 of 3 from 1ST PLACE Michigan..

RPI's (and Overall Strength of Schedule) after completion of Apr 29 games:

20 (106) IU
28 (78) Minnesota
38 (80) OSU
46 (65) Iowa
48 (70) Illinois
57 (161) Michigan
58 (87) Purdue
102 (31) Maryland
109 (63) Nebraska
153 (242) Rutgers
204 (135) Michigan State
224 (180) Northwestern
235 (74) Penn State

Check it all out here: https://d1baseball.com/nitty-gritty/

Iowa slipped one spot after taking 2 of 3 from 1ST PLACE Michigan..

RPI's (and Overall Strength of Schedule) after completion of Apr 29 games:

20 (106) IU
28 (78) Minnesota
38 (80) OSU
46 (65) Iowa
48 (70) Illinois
57 (161) Michigan
58 (87) Purdue
102 (31) Maryland
109 (63) Nebraska
153 (242) Rutgers
204 (135) Michigan State
224 (180) Northwestern (3)
235 (74) Penn State (3)

Check it all out here: https://d1baseball.com/nitty-gritty/
FYI FWIW this week is Iowa's last chance to get a few quality wins outside of the B1G Tournament.

Remaining Schedule:
24 (59) Missouri
286 (259) Western Illinois
21 (48) Oklahoma State (3)
224 (180) @ Northwestern (3)
286 (259) @ Western Illinois
235 (74) Penn State (3)

FYI FWIW this week is Iowa's last chance to get a few quality wins outside of the B1G Tournament.

Remaining Schedule:
24 (59) Missouri
286 (259) Western Illinois
21 (48) Oklahoma State (3)
224 (180) @ Northwestern (3)
286 (259) @ Western Illinois
235 (74) Penn State (3)
good point.

also, its clear we have to do really well against N'western, W Illinois and Penn State to stay in the Top 8 of the B1G and to keep the RPI up.

Reactions: whatsup13579er
3-3 vs NW/PSU gets Iowa in the B1G tournament IMO. 2-4 might also do it.

NOW with that said, we obviously want to go 6-0 as any loss to teams with RPIs like they have can kill our at-large chances ESPECIALLY if it's a home loss. I am somewhat concerned because we have the injury to McDonald and also at this point I am not convinced Schanuel is going to give us a quality start.

3-3 vs NW/PSU gets Iowa in the B1G tournament IMO. 2-4 might also do it.

NOW with that said, we obviously want to go 6-0 as any loss to teams with RPIs like they have can kill our at-large chances ESPECIALLY if it's a home loss. I am somewhat concerned because we have the injury to McDonald and also at this point I am not convinced Schanuel is going to give us a quality start.

any updates on McDonald? Hate to say it but it looked like an elbow issue.

any updates on McDonald? Hate to say it but it looked like an elbow issue.

I posted a "heard it from a friend-of-a-friend" post in the other thread . . . I won't write exactly what I've been told because I don't believe that it is right to do so. Suffice it to write, I'm not expecting good news and expecting that the coaching staff is making plans on how to address the remainder of the season.

I posted a "heard it from a friend-of-a-friend" post in the other thread . . . I won't write exactly what I've been told because I don't believe that it is right to do so. Suffice it to write, I'm not expecting good news and expecting that the coaching staff is making plans on how to address the remainder of the season.
yeah, that did not look good when he walked off the mound and when it was obvious it was an elbow issue; i hope it is not major where surgery is required

What's this do to the Iowa pitching rotation, obviously Nick is the #1 and Brady will be throwing in Game 2's most likely, however does this elevate guys like Nelson and Probst? Maybe we cobble together a game three vs. Okie St with a combo of those two and maybe Leonard?

What's this do to the Iowa pitching rotation, obviously Nick is the #1 and Brady will be throwing in Game 2's most likely, however does this elevate guys like Nelson and Probst? Maybe we cobble together a game three vs. Okie St with a combo of those two and maybe Leonard?
I see lots of long outings for the middle releivers coming up. Hopefully Nick continues to throw well and can keep some of the pressure off of the bullpen on Friday nights.

I see lots of long outings for the middle releivers coming up. Hopefully Nick continues to throw well and can keep some of the pressure off of the bullpen on Friday nights.
Exactly. If Nick A. can go 6, 7 innings this will keep the pressure off the pen and keep them fresh when both teams are searching for arms in Game 3 of a weekend series or deep in the Big 10 tourney. Really, really some quality starts from Brady!

Kendall Rogers said in this weeks chat IF Iowa can take the Oklahoma State series and not have any major slip ups he doesn't see how we can be left out.

Reactions: Couppee
Iowa slipped FOUR SPOTS after losing a heart breaker to #32 (RPI) Missouri and taking 2 of 3 from #22 (RPI) Oklahoma State.

RPI's (and Overall Strength of Schedule) after completion of May 6 games:

14 (42) Minnesota
24 (80) Indiana
30 (62) Ohio State
47 (149) Michigan
50 (54) Iowa
57 (68) Illinois
59 (116) Purdue
113 (47) Maryland
114 (73) Nebraska
153 (219) Rutgers
216 (182) Michigan State
232 (184) Northwestern
238 (84) Penn State

Last edited:
If the RPI is already +50 after beating OSU twice, Iowa will likely need at least 2 wins over quality teams in the B1G Tournament, will they not? (to get into the NCAA)

If the RPI is already +50 after beating OSU twice, Iowa will likely need at least 2 wins over quality teams in the B1G Tournament, will they not? (to get into the NCAA)
See above post but from reading the tea leaves and other baseball bloggers you would be very hard pressed to leave out Iowa after it took the OSU series and played probably the most difficult schedule in conf. Now, if they somehow lose a series to NW OR PSU then they need to beat a decent team in the Big Ten Tourney.
That said, IMO, if the Regionals started today Iowa would be there, you can't just look at conf. standing and SOS/RPI, you have to look at overall schedule and body of work. I thought I saw where LSU beat a top ten team (Arkansas?) over the weekend and their RPI only improved a few spots as well.
5-1/4-2 and a win in the Big Ten Tourney would lock us up..

Reactions: Couppee
Kendall Rogers is the Managing Editor for @d1baseball
kendall@d1baseball.com
http://d1baseball.com

Here is what he tweeted (and what Iowa Baseball Retweeted):

Kendall Rogers‏Verified account@KendallRogers 23h23 hours ago

So, the Big 12 leader (Oklahoma State) by several games is getting pummeled at #Iowa. That’s a rough weekend for that league. Barring a meltdown, a bid solidifier for @UIBaseball as well.

He also said this:

Kendall Rogers‏Verified account@KendallRogers 15h15 hours ago
Kendall Rogers Retweeted glen clark

RPI is fickle....Hell, Iowa took two of three from Oklahoma State and dropped four spots over the past week.

Kendall Rogers is the Managing Editor for @d1baseball
kendall@d1baseball.com
http://d1baseball.com

Here is what he tweeted (and what Iowa Baseball Retweeted):

Kendall Rogers‏Verified account@KendallRogers 23h23 hours ago

So, the Big 12 leader (Oklahoma State) by several games is getting pummeled at #Iowa. That’s a rough weekend for that league. Barring a meltdown, a bid solidifier for @UIBaseball as well.

He also said this:

Kendall Rogers‏Verified account@KendallRogers 15h15 hours ago
Kendall Rogers Retweeted glen clark

RPI is fickle....Hell, Iowa took two of three from Oklahoma State and dropped four spots over the past week.

RPI isn't really fickle. Similar to the RPI in basketball, it's an imperfect metric. But it's the one that matters to the baseball selections. Remember while Iowa is getting the boost from playing Okie State, Iowa is also having other lower-ranked RPI teams on its schedule continue to play games. And RPI weighs more heavily road games, so the times Iowa has jumped up significantly have been away winning weekends against good teams. @ Illinois was the best example.

What will help Iowa is the .500 or so record against Top 100 RPI teams. Hawks will have to win enough over the next 2 weeks where a good win or 2 in the Big Ten tournament will put them in.

Reactions: Franisdaman
RPI isn't really fickle. Similar to the RPI in basketball, it's an imperfect metric. But it's the one that matters to the baseball selections. Remember while Iowa is getting the boost from playing Okie State, Iowa is also having other lower-ranked RPI teams on its schedule continue to play games. And RPI weighs more heavily road games, so the times Iowa has jumped up significantly have been away winning weekends against good teams. @ Illinois was the best example.

What will help Iowa is the .500 or so record against Top 100 RPI teams. Hawks will have to win enough over the next 2 weeks where a good win or 2 in the Big Ten tournament will put them in.
RPI is not fickle........

RPI sucks. <-(period)

/ thread

Iowa slipped 14 SPOTS in the RPI (from 50 to 64) after losing 2 of 3 to Northwestern.

Iowa's RPI was 34 on April 1.

RPI's (and Overall Strength of Schedule) after completion of May 13 games:

24 (63) Minnesota
27 (75) Indiana
33 (44) Ohio State
44 (59) Illinois
54 (149) Michigan
56 (100) Purdue
64 (81) Iowa
99 (54) Maryland
108 (49) Nebraska
167 (221) Rutgers
195 (126) Michigan State
215 (169) Northwestern
239 (120) Penn State

SOURCE: https://d1baseball.com/nitty-gritty/

Last edited:
So....would a sweep of PSU and winning 3 games in the Big Ten Tourney give us a shot to get back in regionals?

So....would a sweep of PSU and winning 3 games in the Big Ten Tourney give us a shot to get back in regionals?
good question! i think we have to win our last 4 reg season games AND play really well in the B1G tourney and hope for the best.

Damn, a week ago we were thinking we were in really good shape for the NCAA Tournament. Now? Not so much.

Losing to NW...BAU!
Yeah, what a difference a week makes, you would think with everything we had on the line and a very poor NW team we could've taken 2/3 at worst!
Now we are a bubble team with 'work to do' as Bracketology would say!

Reactions: Franisdaman
Losing to NW...BAU!
Yeah, what a difference a week makes, you would think with everything we had on the line and a very poor NW team we could've taken 2/3 at worst!
Now we are a bubble team with 'work to do' as Bracketology would say!

Heller said before the series that he was worried about energy and a sense of urgency because the players had just got done with finals.

Iowa's RPI is going to take a hit over the next 4 games no matter what. That's how bad PSU and W Illinois are. I think Warren Nolan predictor puts it right around 75 to end the year assuming Iowa goes 4-0. They will likely need a couple good wins to help get the RPI back down to an acceptable level.

This weekend was also a huge blow as far as their conference standing goes. Going into this weekend there was a legitimate path to 3rd or 4th in the conference which would have looked really good for the resume. Now Iowa will likely finish 6th or 7th in the league, and regardless of the unbalanced schedule, isn't a good look.

Iowa's best hope is to win out to finish 13-9 in the league. If tOSU and Illinois both drop their series to finish 14-10, Iowa should hold the tiebreaker. And if Indiana doesn't sweep they finish 13-10. Iowa would finish 4th and that would be a big positive on the resume. Also, that would mean Iowa would get the 5th seed tOSU (33), then the 1st seed Minn (24) and hopefully the 7th seed Indiana (27) to give them some RPI boosting games.

Michigan also needs to beat Purdue this weekend to get their RPI back above 50 to bolster Iowa's top 50 wins. If you look at the other bubble teams versus the top 50, Iowa is as good as any of them. Assuming Michigan gets back into the top 50, Iowa will be 10-9 to end the season against the top 50. Only LSU (50) and Houston (52) have more from 41-80. 10 would also be the most of any B1G team.

Speaking of Michigan, 25 of their 32 wins come against RPI 151+ teams compared to 12 for Iowa...

Iowa's RPI is going to take a hit over the next 4 games no matter what. That's how bad PSU and W Illinois are. I think Warren Nolan predictor puts it right around 75 to end the year assuming Iowa goes 4-0. They will likely need a couple good wins to help get the RPI back down to an acceptable level.

This weekend was also a huge blow as far as their conference standing goes. Going into this weekend there was a legitimate path to 3rd or 4th in the conference which would have looked really good for the resume. Now Iowa will likely finish 6th or 7th in the league, and regardless of the unbalanced schedule, isn't a good look.

Iowa's best hope is to win out to finish 13-9 in the league. If tOSU and Illinois both drop their series to finish 14-10, Iowa should hold the tiebreaker. And if Indiana doesn't sweep they finish 13-10. Iowa would finish 4th and that would be a big positive on the resume. Also, that would mean Iowa would get the 5th seed tOSU (33), then the 1st seed Minn (24) and hopefully the 7th seed Indiana (27) to give them some RPI boosting games.

Michigan also needs to beat Purdue this weekend to get their RPI back above 50 to bolster Iowa's top 50 wins. If you look at the other bubble teams versus the top 50, Iowa is as good as any of them. Assuming Michigan gets back into the top 50, Iowa will be 10-9 to end the season against the top 50. Only LSU (50) and Houston (52) have more from 41-80. 10 would also be the most of any B1G team.

Speaking of Michigan, 25 of their 32 wins come against RPI 151+ teams compared to 12 for Iowa...

Iowa right now looks solidly as the B1G's 7th best team.

7th in the standings.

7 seed in the B1G Tournament.

7th best RPI in the B1G.

7th best won't cut it when it comes to at large NCAA Tournament berths.

Iowa baseball: Fuzzy RPI math means Heller's Hawkeyes must finish strong

Chad Leistikow, cleistik@dmreg.com
Published 2:50 p.m. CT May 16, 2018 |
Updated 3:33 p.m. CT May 16, 2018

In preparation for writing this column, I went through Iowa’s 2018 baseball schedule through 48 games and circled:

Wins against top-25 opponents.

Wins against teams in the NCAA RPI’s top 50.

And one-run losses.

(There were a lot of circles.)

In fact, you could argue that this has been one of the most impressive of Rick Heller’s five consecutive 30-win seasons. With a team that was supposed to be rebuilding after last year’s stirring Big Ten Conference tournament championship run, the Hawkeyes have posted a 10-9 record against the (current) top-50 RPI.

(Remember that stat; we’ll come back to it.)

Yet, the Hawkeyes — almost inexplicably — enter their final weekend on the outskirts of the NCAA Tournament bubble.

“This team has really, really played well. And our schedule was brutal,” says Heller, close to wrapping up his 31st season as a college head coach. “The RPI is fickle, that’s for sure. I would tell you, based on all my years, that we should be in the 30s right now.”

Instead, entering the regular-season-finishing series that starts at 6:05 p.m. Thursday against Penn State, Iowa’s RPI is … 64.

That’s probably almost certainly too high to get in if at-large bids were doled out today.

Baseball America didn’t even list Iowa among it’s “first four out” and “next four out” Wednesday when it published its latest projections for the field of 64.

It seems no matter what Iowa does, its RPI takes a hit.

Two weeks ago when Iowa won two of three games against then-No. 12 Oklahoma State (now RPI 22) and lost 17-16 against Missouri (RPI 32), the Hawkeyes’ RPI actually got worse (going from 46 to 50).

Still, Iowa was considered “in” the NCAA field (barely) by the experts that are usually pretty accurate on this stuff.

But on the heels after losing two of three at Northwestern (RPI 214 out of 297) over the weekend, a strong body of work all season almost entirely unraveled as Iowa plummeted 14 precious RPI spots.

A top-50 RPI, and Iowa could feel pretty safe.

Being outside the top 60? The outlook suddenly became: Better win the Big Ten Tournament.

“I used to think I had a grip on (the RPI),” Heller says. “But this year’s been really weird.”

Digging inside the numbers, Iowa has a legitimate gripe
Remember Iowa's 10-9 record against top-50 RPI teams?

Here is a sampling of teams ahead of Iowa in the RPI, with their record vs. top-50 RPI opponents:

21. Jacksonville, 4-8.

24. Tennessee Tech, 4-2.

26. Indiana, 7-10.

28. Florida Atlantic, 2-4.

29. Dallas Baptist, 4-6.

35. St. John’s, 3-5.

37. UCLA, 5-7.

41. Northeastern, 3-9.

42. Missouri State, 1-7.

49. Baylor, 6-11.

50. Michigan, 2-6.

52. Cal-State Fullerton, 1-7.

And here’s the kicker: Baseball America projects all 12 of those teams to occupy spots in an NCAA regional.

Sure, the Hawkeyes are justifiably dinged for being 10-2 against 200-plus RPI teams (both at Northwestern, with mid-30s wind chills on the heels of finals week, with one of those losses by one run in extra innings).

But St. John’s is 12-3 against 200-plus teams; Missouri State is 8-2. Yet the RPI formula hasn't punished those teams, or others, as sternly as it has Iowa.

The math doesn’t add up.

And that’s why Heller hopes — if his team doesn’t repeat as Big Ten tournament champs next week — the NCAA selection committee looks at much more than the RPI.

For example, UNLV was one of the top Division I teams (top-20 RPI) when it swept three games from Iowa in early March. The Running Rebels have since faded to 75.

Nestled into Iowa’s 10-9 record vs. the top-50 RPI are five losses by one run (against Illinois, Ohio State, Minnesota, Missouri and Oklahoma State — all considered solidly in the NCAA field).

“There wasn’t a hotter team in the country than UNLV. And it was our fourth week on the road in a row,” Heller says. “(Northwestern) shouldn’t be the death blow, because our resume, I think, is really good.”

How can the Hawkeyes make a third NCAA appearance under Heller?

“Not lose again” would be the obvious answer. The Hawkeyes eked one out Tuesday, with Mitchell Boe’s steal of home plate in the ninth inning providing a 5-4 win at Western Illinois. (Assistant coach Marty Sutherland, who was coaching third with Heller ill, made the call.)

You’d think Penn State being the worst team in the Big Ten would be good for Iowa. But it’s actually not good.

Even if the Hawkeyes pull off a three-game home sweep, they won’t get much (if any) credit for doing so against a team with an RPI of 235.

Still, the Hawkeyes must sweep. Anything less, and their only NCAA hope would be winning the Big Ten Tournament — which they have yet to qualify for.

The top eight teams make it; Iowa is seventh, at 10-9. Maryland and Michigan State are tied for eighth, at 9-11.

“There’s lots of ways that we could get knocked out if we don’t play well,” Heller points out.

The good news is Iowa should get right-hander Cole McDonald back this weekend, for about 60 pitches in a Friday start. The solid No. 3 starter has been sidelined for several weeks with inflammation on his ulnar nerve. That'll help.

Once in Omaha, Iowa will then get some at-large litmus tests. Beating a team like Minnesota (RPI 18) or Indiana (RPI 26) would help its NCAA case. It would be a shame if Iowa got boxed out of the NCAAs despite 11 or 12 top-50 RPI wins.

Minimum, it'll probably require another magical Big Ten run to find the NCAA promised land.

Under Heller, we know that’s a firm possibility. Iowa was the tournament runner-up in 2016 and won it in 2017.

He is bringing the proper perspective into the stretch run.

“I couldn’t be prouder of a group of guys than this group,” Heller says. “Sitting here with the schedule we’ve played, still with a chance to do everything we set out to do at the beginning of the year, is a good feeling.

“You just hope the baseball gods look down on you. It would be just phenomenal for this team to get to a regional.”

Hawkeyes columnist Chad Leistikow has covered sports for 23 years with The Des Moines Register, USA TODAY and Iowa City Press-Citizen. Follow @ChadLeistikow on Twitter.

#Hellerball finishes regular season

Matchup: Iowa (30-18, 10-9 Big Ten) vs. Penn State (15-31, 3-18) at Banks Field, Iowa City

Start times, TV: Thursday, 6:05 p.m. (BTN Plus); Friday, 6:05 p.m. (BTN Plus); Saturday, 6:30 p.m. (ESPNU)

Notable: Despite their record, the Nittany Lions arrive in Iowa City having won six of their last nine games. ... Catcher Tyler Cropley (.367 average) has reached base safely in 19 straight games and is tied for the Big Ten lead with 19 doubles. ... Iowa's pitching staff leads the Big Ten in strikeouts, with 447; second-place Ohio State has 398.

https://www.hawkcentral.com/story/s...heller-hawkeyes-big-ten-tournament/615040002/

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT