ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa's Press Defense

wbrhawkeye

HR MVP
Jun 12, 2012
Davis was a master at the press, but I have not been impressed with Fran's variation. It seems when we are playing against quick guards, they can usually beat it fairly easily and we rarely get turnovers. I liked Davis' press because it often created turnovers.

I like Fran's offense, but I think he needs to bring in a great defensive-minded assistant coach.

Playing a press with our roster makes no sense. We should be utilizing our size advantage and play in a zone. That was evident during the Grambling State game.

Playing Press when you are out quicked at nearly every position is not very smart. I guess when it didn't give up layups, it did slow Louisiana down and at least in 2nd half we got some stops.

Reactions: SDHawkDoc
I wish the TV angle was full court till the team with the ball gets into their half court offense. I'm not able to tell what is happening on the back end of the press.

Where should I begin? All of the posts before me where insightful, thoughtful and about knowledge of the college game and Iowa BB.

The Hawks took a big hit when Christian chose not to stick it out. Great defender, not much on offense, Iowa needed him in this game. Best of luck for this kid.

Iowa once again is a Tyler Ulis away and competing for BTN title and a Final Four.

Let us only hope that Isiah and Jordon do not get injured and somehow Brady, Conner and Dailey can come along..

Otherwise we have the best BIGS and Deep on the front line, yet totally F75cked because of not much quickness,, no on-ball D and shooting outside.

Where should I begin? All of the posts before me where insightful, thoughtful and about knowledge of the college game and Iowa BB.

The Hawks took a big hit when Christian chose not to stick it out. Great defender, not much on offense, Iowa needed him in this game. Best of luck for this kid.

Iowa once again is a Tyler Ulis away and competing for BTN title and a Final Four.

Let us only hope that Isiah and Jordon do not get injured and somehow Brady, Conner and Dailey can come along..

Otherwise we have the best BIGS and Deep on the front line, yet totally F75cked because of not much quickness,, no on-ball D and shooting outside.
*sighs* If only Joe Wieskamp were a PG... *sighs*

I'm of the opinion in that today's day and age a full court press is not a very good strategy in major conferences. Good guard play beats it every single time. Teams used to be a lot more sloppy with the ball in the 80s and 90s when the game was played at a faster pace. Now it's easy pickings for a well coached team.

The only benefit I see today from a full court press is to just sort of time waste and let the opposing team start their offense with 18 or 20 seconds on the clock instead of 23 or 25. You aren't going to force enough turnovers to make it worthwhile going all out for them.

Our press was great when we had White on the inbounds and Gesell and Clemmons getting steals the past few years. But those guys showed heart and hustle no matter the score, which is why they were winners, and this team just likes to score points and put up great offensive numbers without the effort on defense. We live and die by the 3 pointer, so any night it isn't falling isn't going to be made up for by ramping up the defense. Remember when we won at UNC two years ago, we couldn't hit a basket to save our lives after the first few minutes, White didn't make a FG the whole game IIRC, but we matched intensity and won it with defense. This team does not have that ability, if we aren't shooting well we rely exclusively on the other team having a bad shooting night too. When we won against Indiana last year when Kriener was blocking all those shots and not giving an inch, that's the kind of hustle they need to show on a nightly basis if they want to be a tourney team.

I'm of the opinion in that today's day and age a full court press is not a very good strategy in major conferences. Good guard play beats it every single time. Teams used to be a lot more sloppy with the ball in the 80s and 90s when the game was played at a faster pace. Now it's easy pickings for a well coached team.

The only benefit I see today from a full court press is to just sort of time waste and let the opposing team start their offense with 18 or 20 seconds on the clock instead of 23 or 25. You aren't going to force enough turnovers to make it worthwhile going all out for them.
This and only this! The press isn't to just create turnovers! They jacked up awful shots today while we pressed.. we just didn't get any boards

Reactions: DougFHawkeye

That’s exactly it. Iowa is trying to waste time so they don’t get a good shot in their half court set. Turnovers are just a bonus.

Reactions: unclesammy
Biggest flaw I saw with the press was allowing them to just beat it on the sideline with help being late.

Never has been.

Playing a press with our roster makes no sense. We should be utilizing our size advantage and play in a zone. That was evident during the Grambling State game.

it does not produce a lot of turnovers but it does take off 10 seconds from the shot clock and forces the opponent to get going on their offensive possession

Reactions: perryhawk

it does not produce a lot of turnovers but it does take off 10 seconds from the shot clock and forces the opponent to get going on their offensive possession

That’s it exactly Fran.....that’s what this press is intended to do....

The area where it makes perfect sense is making the other team exert a lot of energy and brings this teams depth in to play.

That’s it exactly Fran.....that’s what this press is intended to do....

The area where it makes perfect sense is making the other team exert a lot of energy and brings this teams depth in to play.

and part of the theory is to hurry them up, where they might make a bad pass or a bad shot selection

They've got a lot of fouls to give in the front court. They need to learn to use them wisely. Don't need to be thugs. But they could definitely be meaner.

Think we should see move improvement bringing the ball up court with more screens. Hopefully won't where JB out. Really like him and Moss shooting FT to get us back into the game. The team is learning bit by bit. I think we will see a better start and focus tomorrow. Go Hawkeyes!

Tough to press effectively when you are basically down a guard.....

Never has been.

I felt like in the 1980s and 1990s I was able to see teams get more consistent defensive success with it. Thinking back to some of those Kentucky teams and the 40 minutes of hell Arkansas teams.

Why it worked better back then I can merely speculate, but now a days I just think players are much better prepared for how to handle it.

That said if I was coaching I'd have lazy full court pressure by my guards just to waste 3 or 4 seconds on a possession. I wouldn't force anything, just make them catch the ball back by the baseline and not be able to sprint up court with it. With a 30 second shot clock instead of 35 seconds, it's a little more impactful to cut those few extra seconds off the clock. I definitely would not try to force turnovers or risk stupid foul trouble as those are the situations you get opened up and burned by the opponent IMHO.

I felt like in the 1980s and 1990s I was able to see teams get more consistent defensive success with it. Thinking back to some of those Kentucky teams and the 40 minutes of hell Arkansas teams.

Why it worked better back then I can merely speculate, but now a days I just think players are much better prepared for how to handle it.

That said if I was coaching I'd have lazy full court pressure by my guards just to waste 3 or 4 seconds on a possession. I wouldn't force anything, just make them catch the ball back by the baseline and not be able to sprint up court with it. With a 30 second shot clock instead of 35 seconds, it's a little more impactful to cut those few extra seconds off the clock. I definitely would not try to force turnovers or risk stupid foul trouble as those are the situations you get opened up and burned by the opponent IMHO.

Today's game is different than the 1980s or 90s. Most teams have at least 3 and many times 4 guys who are comfortable with the ball in their hands making decisions on the fly. In the 1980s teams had one ball-handling guard and another guard who had some ball-handling skills, maybe. Today many more guys on the floor are fine with the ball in their hands.

Today's game is different than the 1980s or 90s. Most teams have at least 3 and many times 4 guys who are comfortable with the ball in their hands making decisions on the fly. In the 1980s teams had one ball-handling guard and another guard who had some ball-handling skills, maybe. Today many more guys on the floor are fine with the ball in their hands.

that's true and I guess is the good side of the ugly part of AAU where every single kid wants the ball in their hands and to play on the perimeter instead of banging away down low.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT