ADVERTISEMENT

Is anybody else extremely concerned about our QB vs Miss St?

Sep 20, 2006
It seems us Hawkeye fans are doing a pretty good job of refusing to think about the liability our QB has become.
Everything about this game points to disaster:
-Big stage (even tho an exhibition game)
-Toughest D yet
-Shrinking confidence (if there was even any there to begin with)
-Diminishing accuracy (if there was even any there to begin with)

Please give me something to remain hopeful about with our QB on Jan. 1st?

It seems us Hawkeye fans are doing a pretty good job of refusing to think about the liability our QB has become.
-Toughest D yet

Its not up to someone else to give you hope. Sounds like your negative self talk is the issue. How is that you accurately represent what us Hawk fans are thinking?
While I'm not overly optimistic about our O going against their Defense, I'm not convinced your views on Stan are accurate or sensible. We will have a good gameplan in place with Stan to try to limit mistakes. We will need to run the ball well and rely on the defense to put us in good position on offense.

Reactions: mmotto and thewop
-Toughest D yet

How has Stanley looked against aggressive defenses so far this year and last year? Mississippi State has a month to break down Stanley's weaknesses and Iowa has a month to improve on Stanley's weaknesses.

Its not up to someone else to give you hope. Sounds like your negative self talk is the issue. How is that you accurately represent what us Hawk fans are thinking?
While I'm not overly optimistic about our O going against their Defense, I'm not convinced your views on Stan are accurate or sensible. We will have a good gameplan in place with Stan to try to limit mistakes. We will need to run the ball well and rely on the defense to put us in good position on offense.
my main concern is he seems to lack vision beyond about 30 yds and he seems to not be too mobile and he seems to throw the int when he could throw it away. other than that he is fine. seriously though, he is not mobile enough for my taste but he's ok. he isn't joe montana but he's ok. sometimes he just throws a perfect pass, beautiful. usually to a tight end. hopefully there are a lot of those passes.

How has Stanley looked against aggressive defenses so far this year and last year? Mississippi State has a month to break down Stanley's weaknesses and Iowa has a month to improve on Stanley's weaknesses.
Mississippi State's defensive players also have a month to acquire an agent and sit out the bowl game.

-Toughest D yet

My take is that you are putting too much emphasis on Stanley. There are so many other aspects of the game that will decide who wins and who loses. For instance if our Oline does their job and protects Nate and opens some holes for the RB's we win. If the defense shuts down MSU's run game we win. And so on.

BTW MSU only scored 16 points in their 4 loses whereas the Hawkeyes scored 87 points in their 4 loses...........a telling stat? MSU's offense can be shut down me thinks.

-Toughest D yet

Poor attempt at trolling.

Reactions: FranklinHawk
As long as we don’t get embarrassed I’ll be happy. A win would be icing on the cake of this ‘what could have been’ season.

You're claiming this season was a big "What could've been season" while hoping we don't get embarrassed in a bowl game. Do you think this team is good or bad? Mixed signals post...make up your mind.

-Toughest D yet

Meh. What is there to be extremely concerned about for this bowl game?

Is something gonna happen that we haven't seen before?

Reactions: Tim Dodge Rules
-Toughest D yet

With all that going for us maybe we forfeit and stay home. I for one think we ought to give them a little taste of hock over the middle and follow up with AJ around the end and see how they get along!

-Toughest D yet

His hand injury should finally be healed?

-Toughest D yet

Haven't thought about it at all because it doesn't matter.

Most likely won't watch.

OP rest easy. I talked to Gary Barta and he has withdrawn our team from the Outback Bowl. He has re-watched our games and has found our team to be completely lacking in EVERY respect. We have forfeited the Outback Bowl. Thank you sir.

Reactions: iahawkeyes17
Is anybody else extremely concerned about our QB vs Miss St? Nope, everyone is still posting about the Nebraska game.

Reactions: TugsMcGee
I'm really not worried about MSU's defensive line. Stanley will have time to throw the ball. Iowa has already faced the #1 and #2 defenses in total sacks and Stanley had plenty of time to throw the ball in those games.

MSU, on the other hand, is not great at protecting their QB. In their 4 loses, they allowed 15 sacks and they are a running team. That quite a bit for a team that mainly runs the ball.

Iowa should be able to shut down MSU's rushing attack as Iowa is one of the best in the country at shutting down the run. Iowa is even a little better than MSU statistically against the run. So shutting down an already one dimensional team shouldn't be a tall order.

Our offense really needs to step up, because our defense is going to keep us in the game. Not having the combo of Fant and Hockenson really hurts Iowa. Hopefully Brian has enough time under his belt that this game can be a turning point for our offense.

The idea that MSU wins by two scores is a stretch. I wouldn't be surprised if no touchdowns were scored by either team. The game will probably be a bunch of field goals.

Actually, Iowa has had 5 months to work on Stanley's weaknesses.

It's not easy fixing "shook." The guy is a head case. Can't make a play under pressure and chokes.

shook1
/SHo͝ok/
verb
  1. 1.
    past of shake.
adjective
INFORMAL
  1. 1.
    emotionally or physically disturbed; upset.
    "she looks pretty shook up from the letter"

It's not easy fixing "shook." The guy is a head case. Can't make a play under pressure and chokes.

shook1
/SHo͝ok/
verb
  1. 1.
    past of shake.
adjective
INFORMAL
  1. 1.
    emotionally or physically disturbed; upset.
    "she looks pretty shook up from the letter"
I think Stanley will struggle. Fant was always his blanket and now that's gone. Granted Hok is still there but Fant was his favorite. In a way Fant leaving though might be a good thing. Not many teams are successful with a two tight end passing game. It limits the passing options. Iowa might be forced to involve their wide receivers more.

Reactions: ClarindaA's
I think stanley used Fant AS a wide receiver. He was the TD guy, but lately Hock was his favorite target I think. Unfortunately we don't really have someone with Fant's ability at WR so unless someone steps up, we may have trouble passing.

My take is that you are putting too much emphasis on Stanley. There are so many other aspects of the game that will decide who wins and who loses. For instance if our Oline does their job and protects Nate and opens some holes for the RB's we win. If the defense shuts down MSU's run game we win. And so on.

BTW MSU only scored 16 points in their 4 loses whereas the Hawkeyes scored 87 points in their 4 loses...........a telling stat? MSU's offense can be shut down me thinks.
:confused:
Well let's see. All four of our losses were to teams in the Top 14. Only one of yours was.

All our losses came vs teams in the Top 22 Scoring Defenses (two in the Top 8). Three of your four came vs #'s 40, 43 & 67. (Penn State was #20).

So, no...not a telling stat.

I think stanley used Fant AS a wide receiver. He was the TD guy, but lately Hock was his favorite target I think. Unfortunately we don't really have someone with Fant's ability at WR so unless someone steps up, we may have trouble passing.
msu fans on here are saying their dbs are their weakest link.
so, who knows......

:confused:
Well let's see. All four of our losses were to teams in the Top 14. Only one of yours was.

All our losses came vs teams in the Top 22 Scoring Defenses (two in the Top 8). Three of your four came vs #'s 40, 43 & 67. (Penn State was #20).

So, no...not a telling stat.

Since Iowa's scoring defense is #11 I feel even better after reading your post.

-Toughest D yet

Please get another name.

msu fans on here are saying their dbs are their weakest link.
so, who knows......

Northwestern played Iowa without 2 starting corners and a starting safety. How’d we take advantage of that again? 10 points.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT