ADVERTISEMENT

Is Dorothy Lynch the absolute best salad dressing of all time?

RicoSuave102954

HR All-American
Jul 17, 2023
Montezuma, Iowa
Me thinks so.

For you dregs who have never had the sweet taste of Doroty Lynch tickle your taste buds, I just pity you.

According to company lore, Dorothy Lynch was named after the woman who developed the recipe in the late 1940s. While working at a Legion Club in St. Paul, Nebraska, Dorothy and her husband mixed up the first batches of sweet, tomato-based dressing that drove Nebraskans to the club in droves. Gordon "Mac" Hull bought the patented recipe in 1964 and opened up the original factory in Columbus, Nebraska, where the corporate headquarters remain (the dressing is now manufactured in Duncan, Nebraska, pop. 351).

For this article, I reached out to Dorothy Lynch (to be clear, I called the corporate office and did not seance the spirit of its creator) for insight into current trends and was surprised to receive a call from the owner herself. Marilea Hull, Mac's daughter, took over the CEO role in 2021. She had formerly worked in the Chicago area in corporate finance but had fond memories of her father's hard work. Family vacations, she remembered, included many stops at grocery stores to connect with grocers, encouraging them to stock the product. After much thought, she moved to Columbus to take up the rein of "Dotty Lynch" upon her father's retirement to keep the company based in Columbus and keep the brand strong. When I asked her how the transition from Chicago to Columbus went, Marilea noted she loved that, true to small-town form, everybody knows everybody else. "And," she added, "you can get anywhere in 10 minutes."

This Midwestern, bright-side-ism completely aligns with the brand of Dorothy Lynch and the people who love it. Some may consider the sunny orange dressing a bit too sweet, but drizzled over spinach (or, Marilea promises, incorporated into wing sauce), showcases its flavor profile. Since taking the reins, Marilea has been awed by the devotion people feel to Dorothy Lynch. This past December, while working after hours, she fielded a call from someone whose family hadn't been together for Christmas in two years because of COVID. Though scattered throughout the country, the family wanted some Dorothy Lynch memorabilia – the dressing was a point of connection for all of them. Marilea sent them a box of shirts and related swag and got a note back about how amazed the family was and how much joy it brought them. On vacation herself (though not selling the product to stores like her father), she's run into fans of Dorothy Lynch in Hilton Head and Chicago who hear that she works for the company and can't help but describe their love for the dressing.

Homestyle-Dorothy-Lynch-Salad-Dressing-Gluten-Free-Trans-Fat-Free-Ingredients-Sweet-and-Spicy-Thick-And-Creamy-Single-Bottle-8-oz_401ac064-53fd-4b38-a6d6-18e0f359e47c.903121caa9159a22e106aa2b92b30b00.jpeg

Reactions: NewVicHawkeye
A Homerun in everyone's book!

Dorothy Lynch Grilled Shrimp & Pepper Skewers​

Ingredients​

• 1 lb. large shrimp, peeled and deveined (12 shrimp)
  • 1 can (20-oz.) pineapple chunks, drained
  • 2 red bell peppers, cut into 2-inch pieces
  • 2/3 c. Dorothy Lynch Home Style
Number of Servings: 2

Cooking Instructions​

Alternately thread shrimp, pineapple and red pepper on 4 skewers. Generously brush with Dorothy Lynch Home Style. Grill or broil for 6 minutes or until shrimp turn pink, turning once halfway through cooking. Serve over lettuce and drizzle with remaining dressing. Optional: Serve over a bed of rice. Note: Long or short skewers can be used. If using bamboo skewers on a grill, soak skewers in water for 1 hour prior to grilling.

Reactions: The Tradition
I've never actually had it on a salad but use it for a ton of things.

Dorothy Lynch Goat Cheese and Tomato Tart​

Ingredients​

• 3 Roma tomatoes
  • 1 unbaked, refrigerated pie crust
  • 4 T. Dijon or whole grain mustard
  • 4 T. Dorothy Lynch Home Style (separated into 2 T. each)
  • Salt and freshly ground pepper
  • 2 T. (generous) chopped fresh chives
  • 8 oz. fresh goat cheese sliced into rounds
  • 2 T. honey
Number of Servings: 4

Cooking Instructions​

Tart can be made on a baking sheet or in a tart pan. Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees. If necessary to cover tart pan, roll out pie crust on floured surface to desired size. Mix together 2 T. Dorothy Lynch Home Style with 4 T. mustard. Spread evenly on bottom of the tart dough and let it sit a few minutes to dry out. Slice the tomatoes and arrange them over the mustard dressing in a single even layer. Drizzle (or spray) olive oil over the top. Sprinkle with some chopped chives, then arrange the goat cheese on top and add some more fresh chives. Mix together 2 T. Dorothy Lynch Home Style and 2 T. honey and drizzle over the top of tart. Bake for 30 minutes until the dough is cooked, the tomatoes are tender and the cheese on top is nicely browned. Check frequently in the final 10 minutes to avoid over-cooking. Depending on your oven, passing the tart under the broiler to brown cheese may be necessary.

What the actual **** is a dorothy lynch dressing and what does it have to do with the best salad dressing of all time, zio johnos ranch. THis threa is dump

What the actual **** is a dorothy lynch dressing and what does it have to do with the best salad dressing of all time, zio johnos ranch. THis threa is dump
Dorothy Lynch is a brand of salad dressings that offers endless flavorbilities for every dish.

DorothyLynch-portrait.png

Meet Dorothy Lynch​

In the late 1940s, Dorothy Lynch and her husband ran the restaurant at the local Legion Club in St. Paul, Nebraska. This is where she first served up the original recipe for Dorothy Lynch Home Style Dressing. As more Legion Club members tasted the sweet and spicy flavor, the legend of Dorothy Lynch began to grow, and the dressing became a statewide favorite. Locals even brought in their own bottles to fill up with "that delicious Dorothy Lynch salad dressing." Today, Dorothy Lynch Home Style Dressing & Condiment is the essential ingredient in every Midwestern family’s favorite recipes—not just salad.

DID YOU HEAR THAT - iT'S JUST NOT FOR SALADS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The hole is too big and it pours out too fast.

Somebody else can finish off the mom joke. It’s on a tee for you.
Does Dorothy Lynch still come in glass bottles?
Longtime fans will remember when Dorothy Lynch came in a classic glass bottle. In 2010, we made the switch from glass to plastic. The new hourglass shape and wider mouth make it easier to handle and pour—plus, it fits smaller hands.

Dorothy Lynch is the GOAT.

I had a client in Nome, AK that I had to go visit about 10 years ago. The Rehab manager was from Nebraska. He asked if I would bring him some. So I brought up the big bottles from Sam’s in my suitcase. Dude was forever grateful.

Reactions: RicoSuave102954
Dorothy Lynch is a brand of salad dressings that offers endless flavorbilities for every dish.

DorothyLynch-portrait.png

Meet Dorothy Lynch​

In the late 1940s, Dorothy Lynch and her husband ran the restaurant at the local Legion Club in St. Paul, Nebraska. This is where she first served up the original recipe for Dorothy Lynch Home Style Dressing. As more Legion Club members tasted the sweet and spicy flavor, the legend of Dorothy Lynch began to grow, and the dressing became a statewide favorite. Locals even brought in their own bottles to fill up with "that delicious Dorothy Lynch salad dressing." Today, Dorothy Lynch Home Style Dressing & Condiment is the essential ingredient in every Midwestern family’s favorite recipes—not just salad.

DID YOU HEAR THAT - iT'S JUST NOT FOR SALADS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Would not....

GGE5GNoawAADMpj.jpg:large

Would^^^

I have never tried Dorothy's dressing, but I would vote no
1. Dorothy doesn't know if the sauce is a salad dressing or condiment, loss of points for indecisiveness

I have never tried Dorothy's dressing, but I would vote no
1. Dorothy doesn't know if the sauce is a salad dressing or condiment, loss of points for indecisiveness
Dorothy Lynch = Endless Flavorbilities

What does it taste like?
In a word, delicious. Loyal eaters describe the flavor of Dorothy Lynch as sweet and spicy with a thick and creamy texture. We often hear people say that it tastes like you made it yourself. And as everyone knows, there’s no taste like home. Picky eaters love it, dads love it, and you'll love how many different ways it can come to the table.

Reactions: NoleinATL
It’s thousand island dressing mixed with cat piss and orange. Not orange the fruit but somehow the color.
How does Dorothy Lynch compare to other dressings nutritionally?
Dorothy Lynch contains no MSG, cholesterol, or trans fats. The total fat, saturated fat, and sodium levels of our original are below that of the most popular light ranch dressing. Our Light & Lean dressing compares even better! All ingredients are carefully selected and procured with a minimum of additives and preservatives. Our dressings are gluten free, making them the perfect choice for those with Celiac disease.

Looks like a runny 1000 island.

Dottie Lynch’s Home Style Pizza​

Ingredients​

• 1/4 c. Dorothy Lynch Home Style
  • 1/2 c. pizza sauce or tomato paste
  • 1 pkg. pre-made pizza crust
  • 1 c. shredded mozzarella cheese (about 6-oz.)
  • Large pinch dried oregano and Italian seasoning
  • 1 pkg. pepperoni
  • 1 (4-oz.) can diced green chilies, drained
Number of Servings: 4

Cooking Instructions​

Prepare pizza crust per directions on package. Combine Dorothy Lynch Home Style, pizza sauce and seasonings in a bowl. Spoon evenly atop crust. Sprinkle on cheese and add pepperoni and chilies. Bake per directions on the pizza crust package. Serve with side bowl of Dorothy Lynch Home Style for dipping!

You wouldn't dare make a pizza with Thousand Island dressing!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT