ADVERTISEMENT

Is it wrong I find this kind of cool?

Screenshot-20230818-130048-Chrome.jpg

dewey-cox-been-halved-serious.gif

If his hands were tied behind his back when he jumped he was most likely a Russian oligarch or general.

Reactions: Tenacious E
Kid who worked for us up state was laid off ( I was too eventually) and apparently it was a trigger. He drove down near me and jumped off the Foresthill Bridge (4th tallest in the US). It's a popular jumping spot and they've made some changes to make it harder, plus people watch for jumpers now.
The thing is, most jumpers hit the structure on the way down. They pick up pieces, not bodies. Sometimes parts are stuck in the structure. Not great for the people who have to pick it all up.

Foresthill_1_Web-1.jpg

Kid who worked for us up state was laid off ( I was too eventually) and apparently it was a trigger. He drove down near me and jumped off the Foresthill Bridge (4th tallest in the US). It's a popular jumping spot and they've made some changes to make it harder, plus people watch for jumpers now.
The thing is, most jumpers hit the structure on the way down. They pick up pieces, not bodies. Sometimes parts are stuck in the structure. Not great for the people who have to pick it all up.

Foresthill_1_Web-1.jpg
Watched a documentary a while back called The Bridge. They set up a camera by the Golden Gate Bridge, also a popular jumping spot. They caught 13 jumpers on video over that year, one survived. They then tracked down the families to learn more about their situations and what may have led to suicide. A pretty fascinating watch, tastefully done.

But honestly, what an absolute asshole way to kill yourself. You could hurt/kill someone below. You are gonna traumatize anyone who has to see it, respond to the 911 call, or clean up the aftermath.

Watched a documentary a while back called The Bridge. They set up a camera by the Golden Gate Bridge, also a popular jumping spot. They caught 13 jumpers on video over that year, one survived. They then tracked down the families to learn more about their situations and what may have led to suicide. A pretty fascinating watch, tastefully done.

That was a very good one. Also, every jumper that has survived the jump from Golden Gate said they realized half way down that they were making a mistake trying suicide.

Met a guy who survived that jump. It changed his life in a way he said he couldn't imagine. Said he'd convinced himself his family would be better off, but had never considered anyone else, fire/police who retrieved the bodies, the bridge workers who saw jumpers but couldn't act fast enough, anyone who saw them jump, etc.

After recovering, mentally and physically, he became a firefighter and ended up spending part of his time visiting schools and telling his story. He said at almost every place he spoke, someone came up and wanted to talk about how not to do what he did.

Pretty remarkable story.

That was a very good one. Also, every jumper that has survived the jump from Golden Gate said they realized half way down that they were making a mistake trying suicide.

The dude I met said exactly that. He said he decided before he hit the water he'd try to change lives if he survived.

Reactions: Menace Sockeyes
My buddy’s kid is an EMT in Chicago. When they get a jumper call he says they usually grab two scoop shovels and a big garbage can…
An Asian girl jumped off my apartment building in San Francisco.

The story (which seemed to be second or third or fourth hand) was that she bounced about a story and a half.

I recall reading about how at another popular bridge for suicides, the government put up anti suicide signage and fencing that made it difficult to climb over the edge. The suicide rate plummeted because most people willing to do it that way are looking for an easy opportunity. When you make it a little bit harder for them, they give up and back out of the attempt.

I know there has been a push by a small group of people to do similar safety measures at the Golden Gate Bridge. But there's been pushback against it because of ruining the aesthetic appeal of the bridge.

Reactions: jasonrann
Yes. I hate thinking about suicide except those end of life situations where someone taps out with a narcotics OD at the end of losing battle with a fatal disease. I hate even more thinking about public suicide that traumatizes and/or endangers innocents after someone decides to end it.

I've seen this as well. A creepy doc but well done and at least tried to garner a little bit of insight instead of just sensationalizing.

Reactions: jasonrann
I know there has been a push by a small group of people to do similar safety measures at the Golden Gate Bridge. But there's been pushback against it because of ruining the aesthetic appeal of the bridge.
When I was watching it, I remember thinking "wow, that seems way too easy".

I recall reading about how at another popular bridge for suicides, the government put up anti suicide signage and fencing that made it difficult to climb over the edge. The suicide rate plummeted because most people willing to do it that way are looking for an easy opportunity. When you make it a little bit harder for them, they give up and back out of the attempt.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT