ADVERTISEMENT

Is pizza essentially American at this point?

Hawki97

HR Legend
Dec 16, 2001
Iowa City, IA
Yeah, sure…the Italians started it all but haven’t they passed the baton to us? They’ve gone stale and are still making their flatbreads and we’re over here innovating in the form of breakfast pizza, taco pizza, crab rangoon pizza, you name it. We’ve created styles from Chicago deep dish to NY thin and everything in between. Plus, we’re bringing it to the masses thanks to international chains like Domino’s and eventually Casey’s global domination. At this point, can we just claim pizza as ours?

OK, user poll - how many of you have eaten pizza in italy?
Yes, and it is different. And nowadays if you look, the outdoor pizza oven market has exploded. That's a win for Italy, not the US. Everyone wants Neapolitan or artisanal pizza.

Reactions: bhawk24bob
Yes, and it is different. And nowadays if you look, the outdoor pizza oven market has exploded. That's a win for Italy, not the US. Everyone wants Neapolitan or artisanal pizza.
So my buddy invested (wait for it) sixty-nine dollars ($69.00)*, bought a couple dozen bricks, and 3 large pieces of slate. He piled them up in his back yard (with vent in back), without mortar, to cook a pizza oven. After some modest experimentation with configuration (first go round cracked the oven-level slate) (additional cost $21.00)*, he now has a highly functional outdoor oven that can produce temperatures in the 600-700 degree range, and can be moved at will. The pizza is simply fantastic. He buys dough balls from local "Italian Store" pizza shop, and uses fresh mozz, etc. Char on the crust, etc.

I told him that he should now get one of those 55 gallon drums for a fireplace so we can watch his outdoor big screen in his driveway, and an old automobile wheel for a barbecue grill base, but his wife put the kibosh on it.

*DC prices. My daughter replicated this in Georgia for under $50.

Reactions: GOHOX69
So my buddy invested (wait for it) sixty-nine dollars ($69.00)*, bought a couple dozen bricks, and 3 large pieces of slate. He piled them up in his back yard (with vent in back), without mortar to cook a pizza oven. After some modest experimentation with configuration (first go round cracked the oven-level slate) (additional cost $21.00)*, he now has a highly functional outdoor oven that can produce temperatures in the 600-700 degree range. The pizza is simply fantastic. He buys dough balls from local "Italian Store" pizza shop, and uses fresh mozz, etc. Char on the crust, etc.

Your buddy is a smart man. But most of us Americans are fat slobs who lack ingenuity. I built a tandoor using a similar process. I like to spend money buy not $2000 bucks on a pizza oven pre-fab or tandoor. Nowadays, there are so many freaking outdoor pizza ovens clogging the market at every price point it isn't even funny.

As far as dough is concerned, just get 00 flour (Caputos), use a tiny amount of yeast, about 57% hydration until you know how to handle wet dough, 2% salt, and ferment for a few days in your fridge. Comes out spectacularly well.

Your buddy is a smart man. But most of us Americans are fat slobs who lack ingenuity. I built a tandoor using a similar process. I like to spend money buy not $2000 bucks on a pizza oven pre-fab or tandoor. Nowadays, there are so many freaking outdoor pizza ovens clogging the market at every price point it isn't even funny.

As far as dough is concerned, just get 00 flour (Caputos), use a tiny amount of yeast, about 57% hydration until you know how to handle wet dough, 2% salt, and ferment for a few days in your fridge. Comes out spectacularly well.
Yeah, when i make deep dish, i make my own. But the place he is buying his dough from is cheap, and more importantly, it's very high end NY connections and not some local/chain shop.

Tandoor is a fascinating option! BTW, it is sort of funny, as our mutual friend paid several thousand to build a giant pizza oven in his back yard. It makes great pizza, and retains heat well enough to cook two more days worth of meals in it, but man, that's a lot of overhead to earn off.

There is a Casey's in Milan, but not the one in Italy. I'm calling it a win for America.
Ever eat here Moral?

It's good (and not QC style for you tasteless heathens that can't appreciate greatness):

pagalo-s-pizzeria-gelato.jpg

Reactions: Moral and GOHOX69

Are you making Indian pizza? ;)

Yeah, when i make deep dish, i make my own. But the place he is buying his dough from is cheap, and more importantly, it's very high end NY connections and not some local/chain shop.

Tandoor is a fascinating option! BTW, it is sort of funny, as our mutual friend paid several thousand to build a giant pizza oven in his back yard. It makes great pizza, and retains heat well enough to cook two more days worth of meals in it, but man, that's a lot of overhead to earn off.
Currently, I've been sucked into the dark hole that is espresso coffee. 😉

• Love
Reactions: Obviously Oblivious
Currently, I've been sucked into the dark hole that is espresso coffee. 😉
This is basically what my buddy's pizza oven looks like...

As to espresso, that is not a machine I can build. :) I love espresso, but i have to say, i just can't get wound up about the incremental improvements you can get out of an ultra high end machine or roasting my own beans. We've regressed to pods, though I may go back to a relatively simple non-pod machine, as I do like the process and taste a little better.

Funny espresso story - a buddy who was a consultant had a project in italy. His boss would come down to the lobby in the morning, where they had a free espresso machine. In typically american fashion, he thought the machine was ripping him off based on the small quantity dispensed, so he kept pressing the button until his big cup was full. It took a couple of days of Floyd Landis-level nonfunctionality before anybody filled him in. I had a similar experience in a small town cafe in Boiling Springs PA years ago when i stopped for a mid-bike ride espresso at a local shop on an early morning winte rride. Big fat guy was just staring at me, and finally came up on his way out the door and said, 'hey buddy i think they're ripping you off there with that coffee."

This is basically what my buddy's pizza oven looks like...

As to espresso, that is not a machine I can build. :) I love espresso, but i have to say, i just can't get wound up about the incremental improvements you can get out of an ultra high end machine or roasting my own beans. We've regressed to pods, though I may go back to a relatively simple non-pod machine, as I do like the process and taste a little better.

Funny espresso story - a buddy who was a consultant had a project in italy. His boss would come down to the lobby in the morning, where they had a free espresso machine. In typically american fashion, he thought the machine was ripping him off based on the small quantity dispensed, so he kept pressing the button until his big cup was full. It took a couple of days of Floyd Landis-level nonfunctionality before anybody filled him in.
Haha, I hear you. But if you check out reddit's espresso subreddit, people are indeed building their own high tech machines or modi'ng them. I have a low end one I keep at work and a high end one I keep at home. To be honest with you, making an espresso requires time and helps me destress. But I'm pretty much a caffeine nut so any type of coffee and I'm there.

Yeah, sure…the Italians started it all but haven’t they passed the baton to us? They’ve gone stale and are still making their flatbreads and we’re over here innovating in the form of breakfast pizza, taco pizza, crab rangoon pizza, you name it. We’ve created styles from Chicago deep dish to NY thin and everything in between. Plus, we’re bringing it to the masses thanks to international chains like Domino’s and eventually Casey’s global domination. At this point, can we just claim pizza as ours?
Did Italy create it, though? Or was it just a type of flatbread that Americans changed to the modern recipe that then made it's way back to Italy. At least one Italian dude says it was the second version. Apparently there is debate on that.

Haha, I hear you. But if you check out reddit's espresso subreddit, people are indeed building their own high tech machines or modi'ng them. I have a low end one I keep at work and a high end one I keep at home. To be honest with you, making an espresso requires time and helps me destress. But I'm pretty much a caffeine nut so any type of coffee and I'm there.
At my office, we invested in an outstanding machine when we remodeled our offices. So, one when i wake up, and a doppio when i get to the office.

Did Italy create it, though? Or was it just a type of flatbread that Americans changed to the modern recipe that then made it's way back to Italy. At least one Italian dude says it was the second version. Apparently there is debate on that.

As is always the case in any of this shit, I bet the Chinese had it first.

Reactions: torbee

That guy's obviously a traitor.

When i was a young kid and my dad was doing grad work at U. Wyoming, we had an italian professor living in the apartment above us. His name was Mr. Marcantonio, but I always pronounced it Mr. Macaronitoes. One time we were out of control when my parents were out of the house and he really came down hard on us.

• Haha
Reactions: BioHawk and GOHOX69
It is funnier than the vast majority of straight comedies
There's no substitute to brilliant writing; especially when it's perfectly matched to the character. There are very few shows like that. Sopranos and Andre's show Homicide come to mind.

Ditto. It's good....but I was underwhelmed. Had better pizza in the states.

I’m not against European “pizza” or thin crust. For example, the Alsace can rock out one fine tarte especially smothered in truffle oil. And food snobs preemptively F off…tartes are basically pizza.

Last edited:

Man, now I want to build a homemade tandoor for my patio cooking area! I have the round kettle weber, a chiminea with a grate and my smoker out there. I NEED the tandoor!

Do you think a mechanically challenged, bad-at-math, white guy could build his own?

Even more reason to claim it as our own! Hamburgers. Pizza. ‘Merica!

Reactions: FSUTribe76
Man, now I want to build a homemade tandoor for my patio cooking area! I have the round kettle weber, a chiminea with a grate and my smoker out there. I NEED the tandoor!

Do you think a mechanically challenged, bad-at-math, white guy could build his own?
You could easily make one!

Ever eat here Moral?

It's good (and not QC style for you tasteless heathens that can't appreciate greatness):

pagalo-s-pizzeria-gelato.jpg

I have once, I thought it was good. I need to venture out again.

I'm having my semi-annual QC pizza craving so I may have to go to Uncle Bills. Last time I got Harris and I think I need to switch it up.

Reactions: torbee
So my buddy invested (wait for it) sixty-nine dollars ($69.00)*, bought a couple dozen bricks, and 3 large pieces of slate. He piled them up in his back yard (with vent in back), without mortar, to cook a pizza oven. After some modest experimentation with configuration (first go round cracked the oven-level slate) (additional cost $21.00)*, he now has a highly functional outdoor oven that can produce temperatures in the 600-700 degree range, and can be moved at will. The pizza is simply fantastic. He buys dough balls from local "Italian Store" pizza shop, and uses fresh mozz, etc. Char on the crust, etc.

I told him that he should now get one of those 55 gallon drums for a fireplace so we can watch his outdoor big screen in his driveway, and an old automobile wheel for a barbecue grill base, but his wife put the kibosh on it.

Pic of redneck pizza oven?

I have once, I thought it was good. I need to venture out again.

I'm having my semi-annual QC pizza craving so I may have to go to Uncle Bills. Last time I got Harris and I think I need to switch it up.
Can never go wrong going in person to Frank's.

I think a right-out-of-the-oven one from there might be the best the QC has to offer.

Reactions: Moral
Pizza is definitely my favorite food. Got a large Happy Joe's just this past Saturday, man it was good. So many good places to try too.

Everywhere I have traveled across the world there is pizza. In great supply.

costco right now has a electric pizza oven that gets up to 800 degrees F. 250 bucks which is insanely cheap.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT