ADVERTISEMENT

Is pizza essentially American at this point?

Just because I call a Volkswagen a BMW does not make it a BMW.

Eagle_-_Haters.JPG

Reactions: NoleATL
So my buddy invested (wait for it) sixty-nine dollars ($69.00)*, bought a couple dozen bricks, and 3 large pieces of slate. He piled them up in his back yard (with vent in back), without mortar, to cook a pizza oven. After some modest experimentation with configuration (first go round cracked the oven-level slate) (additional cost $21.00)*, he now has a highly functional outdoor oven that can produce temperatures in the 600-700 degree range, and can be moved at will. The pizza is simply fantastic. He buys dough balls from local "Italian Store" pizza shop, and uses fresh mozz, etc. Char on the crust, etc.

I told him that he should now get one of those 55 gallon drums for a fireplace so we can watch his outdoor big screen in his driveway, and an old automobile wheel for a barbecue grill base, but his wife put the kibosh on it.

*DC prices. My daughter replicated this in Georgia for under $50.

Can you post here the plans to construct such a pizza oven? TIA!

I have, several times in fact. None of them would crack my all time top 10 list AINEC. Different, but not remarkable or noteworthy. Italian pizza did open my eyes to anchovies as a legit topping.
One of the best pizzas I've had was in Paris, of all places.

La Dulcinea, just down the street from the famous Moulin Rouge, if you are ever in Paris. Amazing desserts too.

pizza-specials-lasagna.jpg

Reactions: BrianNole777
One of the best pizzas I've had was in Paris, of all places.

La Dulcinea, just down the street from the famous Moulin Rouge, if you are ever in Paris. Amazing desserts too.

pizza-specials-lasagna.jpg

We stayed in that neighborhood on our last visit, our hotel was halfway between the Sacre Couer and the Moulin Rouge. Interesting neighborhood, especially after the sun goes down. It never would have occurred to me to seek out an Italian restaurant, there are just too many great bistros to try. I will admit we ducked into a Chinese restaurant near the Louvre one day for lunch just to change things up a bit.

Reactions: torbee
We stayed in that neighborhood on our last visit, our hotel was halfway between the Sacre Couer and the Moulin Rouge. Interesting neighborhood, especially after the sun goes down. It never would have occurred to me to seek out an Italian restaurant, there are just too many great bistros to try. I will admit we ducked into a Chinese restaurant near the Louvre one day for lunch just to change things up a bit.
We might have stayed in the same hotel. It is an interesting neighborhood and I like that it is a little rough-around-the-edges, definitely not super touristy (other than the aforementioned Moulin Rouge, of course.)

We had our then 12-year-old son with us and he was absolutely DONE with "weird" French food, lol, so we told him we'd get him pizza. Ironically, it ended up being one of the best meals we had in Paris.

Neapolitan, even from Italy, is underwhelming IMO (too much flop). Had some great pizza in Japan (of all places).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT