ADVERTISEMENT

Is the fear mongering by Fox over shoplifting more fake news?

Fox has admitted to making things up, so does their non stop coverage of rampaging shoplifters in Lib cities bear up to scrutiny?
Not so much.
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/the-...erblown-data-shows_n_656794a5e4b07b937ff36408
You read the links in that article right?
Especially the one interviewing employees?

Jonathan wants me to guess how often retail workers see someone steal. It’s a challenge he likes to make to friends, who always underestimate it. “It’s multiple times a day, maybe as often as once an hour. And that’s the stuff you can see, like the really blatant ones,” he says. “A lot of people picture a scared kid with a candy bar under their jacket, and you get that, but the majority of it is seasoned shoplifters going out with carts full of beer and liquor and hygiene products and electronics and laundry detergent, etc.”

The truth is in the middle but leveraging crime stats isn’t going to help anybody’s cause if crime isn’t reported for any number of reasons.

I’m in Minnesota this weekend and have had to run some errands for family. I can tell you that it’s night and day a different shopping experience, even down to seeing Salvation Army volunteers ringing a bell. That doesn’t happen in a big city because some jackass is going to attack the volunteer and steal the donations. It was strange walking through Menards or the grocery stores and not having security to get through on the way out.

I’m not referring to the subject or truthiness. I’m referring to how shitty of a job the writer did getting the point across.
I didn’t read it as most HuffPost content is garbage.

The NPR story is excellent.

Basically shows that this “phenomenon” is not actually happening. NYC and SF have had some specific groups/gangs engaging in organized retail theft but it is virtually unheard of in 99% of the country.

Basically shows that this “phenomenon” is not actually happening. NYC and SF have had some specific groups/gangs engaging in organized retail theft but it is virtually unheard of in 99% of the country.
JFC.......

You read the links in that article right?
Especially the one interviewing employees?

Jonathan wants me to guess how often retail workers see someone steal. It’s a challenge he likes to make to friends, who always underestimate it. “It’s multiple times a day, maybe as often as once an hour. And that’s the stuff you can see, like the really blatant ones,” he says. “A lot of people picture a scared kid with a candy bar under their jacket, and you get that, but the majority of it is seasoned shoplifters going out with carts full of beer and liquor and hygiene products and electronics and laundry detergent, etc.”

The "expert" presenting the initial testimony to congress used 2016 data. You can provide cover for MAGA zealots and fools since the club is all-inclusive. And BTW, shoplifting didn't start last year, or decade. It's been going on a thousand years. I'll bet you knew that already.

The "expert" presenting the initial testimony to congress used 2016 data. You can provide cover for MAGA zealots and fools since the club is all-inclusive. And BTW, shoplifting didn't start last year, or decade. It's been going on a thousand years. I'll bet you knew that already.
Think "volume," Slick.....

It's breaking the heartless Right's heart to hear crime rate are decreasing. Excepting mass shootings, of course.

Shoplifting is a tradition of not paying for merchandise at the expense of others. Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: dgordo

They are individual stories. Not a phenomenon. The individual stories become more newsworthy when there are videos attached. When major chains close and put their merchandise behind glass, that’s real as well. You don’t need it to be a phenomenon to take interest in each story or feel empathy for the victims. As a news person you know “if it bleeds, it leads”.

The media people talking about Fox skewing data for fearmongering purposes are the same ones who went a week screaming about the “record increase of violent attacks on Asians” after the Atlanta massage parlor murders. Then when they dug they learned it wasn’t white people attacking them, so they ended that line quickly. News is narrative.

It's breaking the heartless Right's heart to hear crime rate are decreasing. Excepting mass shootings, of course.
Where do we "hear" this heartwarming news? Call me a boomer, but any cold, hard substance other than liberal babbling?

This is just another made-up story to pretend that rich companies have it so bad and are once again being victimized by poor people. Eff people who keep buying into this.
If that's not a marxist attitude I don't know what is.....

This. It's frustrating how people are so easily influenced by viral videos and/or sensational media. Facts and reputable statistics in regard to crime are readily available. Yet, instead, Joe Schmo watches a viral theft video and forms an assumption about the entirety of theft in America. It's absurd.

This. It's frustrating how people are so easily influenced by viral videos and/or sensational media. Facts and reputable statistics in regard to crime are readily available. Yet, instead, Joe Schmo watches a viral theft video and forms an assumption about the entirety of theft in America. It's absurd.
Are you saying smash and grabs are not increasing vs 5 years ago?

This is just another made-up story to pretend that rich companies have it so bad and are once again being victimized by poor people. Eff people who keep buying into this.
Do you have enough money saved up to buy a new vehicle?

They are individual stories. Not a phenomenon. The individual stories become more newsworthy when there are videos attached. When major chains close and put their merchandise behind glass, that’s real as well. You don’t need it to be a phenomenon to take interest in each story or feel empathy for the victims. As a news person you know “if it bleeds, it leads”.

The media people talking about Fox skewing data for fearmongering purposes are the same ones who went a week screaming about the “record increase of violent attacks on Asians” after the Atlanta massage parlor murders. Then when they dug they learned it wasn’t white people attacking them, so they ended that line quickly. News is narrative.
lol, so stupid. You mean my parents, who have Fox News on at least two TVs 24/7, are scared of rampant crime because of personal experience and not because it’s being intentionally fed to them? Gtfooh

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT