ADVERTISEMENT

Is the fear mongering by Fox over shoplifting more fake news?

lol, so stupid. You mean my parents, who have Fox News on at least two TVs 24/7, are scared of rampant crime because of personal experience and not because it’s being intentionally fed to them? Gtfooh
Who said that? Tell them to turn off FOX and teach you to read.

I'd say no, but until they give at least equal time to the hundreds of millions being stolen by white collar criminals, I have to say they're being hypocritical.
White collar crime costs the average American far more than shoplifting, but it doesn’t produce quite the fear in white people for some reason, so Fox won’t talk about it.

Shoplifting theft is both a real and significant issue, while also being exaggerated and spotlighted, for political manipulation.

abstract GIF by Borrachas

Ok...so the number they are using is 1.6% for shrink. Absolutely impossible to know exactly what part of that is theft...anyone saying a number as if it's the truth is full of it. Educated guess for sure....but knowing a cold hard number of what causes it is impossible. Kind of the way of shrink...it's missing money...the where it is missing comes from multiple sources.

Someone steals a candy bar...that is shrink.

The cashier accidently gives you an extra dime in your change....that is shrink.

You sign an invoice for 1,000 cases of candy bars...but actually only received 999...that is shrink.

You do a price change up on a candy bar in the computer on more than you actually have...that is shrink.

The people doing your inventory under count a candy bar....that is shrink.

Either way....that 1.6% is just another 1.6% you are going to pay for what you purchase. The money to pay for shrink has to come from the some where.

Trying to put numbers on shoplifting based on crime reports is rather hilarious. Even if a store does stop a shoplifter....what is the odds that a cop shows up to fill out a report these days?

I’ll assume this is just like they “they are putting cat litter in bathrooms” story they were spreading

Reactions: fsu1jreed
The truth is in the middle but leveraging crime stats isn’t going to help anybody’s cause if crime isn’t reported for any number of reasons.

I’m in Minnesota this weekend and have had to run some errands for family. I can tell you that it’s night and day a different shopping experience, even down to seeing Salvation Army volunteers ringing a bell. That doesn’t happen in a big city because some jackass is going to attack the volunteer and steal the donations. It was strange walking through Menards or the grocery stores and not having security to get through on the way out.
Yup. I live in eastern Iowa in a nice community. Most of the problems facing the Nation are simply TV and Internet stories. It would be easy for me to not care about those things, but I still do.

But, no one seems interested in solving problems - they would prefer to just blame someone.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT