ADVERTISEMENT

Is there a classier former President than Jimmy Carter?

carter-flag-e1534723854101.jpg

I'm sad to say that he came to my mind, too. Sad because that's the caliber we need, but I don't see anyone like that in the world of politics. Might be someone, but no one well known.

A decade or so ago, Kucinich might have been that person.

Obama might be the closest, but he can't run.

Of those running, I think Bernie and Lizzie are closest programmatically - by which I mean that they want to heal the nation - but don't have Carter's demeanor.

Pete may have the best demeanor, but lacks the sincerity that Carter had (or that Bernie and Lizzie have). I think Booker probably has the sincerity, but lacks the demeanor.

Yep, the main thing I’m looking for in a candidate is moral core. That’s what they lean on when stuff gets hard. Right now I’m leaning Warren based on that.

The office of US President was beneath him. The Democrats abandoned him, the GOP resented him. And, as with the end of most 2 term Republican administrations, the economy tanked. He never had a chance.

Carter and W are both classy and well liked people— except by the extreme right and left idiots who seek attention.

I'm sad to say that he came to my mind, too. Sad because that's the caliber we need, but I don't see anyone like that in the world of politics. Might be someone, but no one well known.

A decade or so ago, Kucinich might have been that person.

Obama might be the closest, but he can't run.

Of those running, I think Bernie and Lizzie are closest programmatically - by which I mean that they want to heal the nation - but don't have Carter's demeanor.

Pete may have the best demeanor, but lacks the sincerity that Carter had (or that Bernie and Lizzie have). I think Booker probably has the sincerity, but lacks the demeanor.
Remember Gandhi wasn’t really that successful a leader. After the obvious bad guys were pushed out, his country fell apart. Hopefully we can find someone to push the bad guy out, without partitioning the nation.

It was President Jimmy Carter who told the American
people: "The Presidency is too big of a position for
one person."

It was President Jimmy Carter who went on national
television to tell the American people during the energy
crisis: "Tonight, I have turned down the thermostat
in the White House and I am wearing a sweater. I ask
you to do likewise in your home."

It was President Jimmy Carter who told the American
people: "The Presidency is too big of a position for
one person."

It was President Jimmy Carter who went on national
television to tell the American people during the energy
crisis: "Tonight, I have turned down the thermostat
in the White House and I am wearing a sweater. I ask
you to do likewise in your home."
Did you do it?

I wonder if Pence is allowed to have lunch with a gay guy without his wife present.

I think that's the rub: He's giving his wife the ol' head fake because he wants exactly the scenario you describe. I get that vibe with him, like most vocal gay haters.

Reactions: unIowa
Remember Gandhi wasn’t really that successful a leader. After the obvious bad guys were pushed out, his country fell apart. Hopefully we can find someone to push the bad guy out, without partitioning the nation.

Gandhi successfully led the movement that pushed the British out of India. He was killed during the chaos caused by the Partition after the British divided the subcontinent into Pakistan/India.

We never really had a chance to see him as the leader of a nation. Pakistani/Indian relations might well be completely different than they turned into.

I would say both Obama and GWB have been really good ambassadors of decency and classiness post presidencies.
Ehhhh, Obama is too much of a political activist in my mind. He needs to STFU, that is what has traditionally happened with ex-presidents.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT