ADVERTISEMENT

Is there a classier former President than Jimmy Carter?

I'm sad to say that he came to my mind, too. Sad because that's the caliber we need, but I don't see anyone like that in the world of politics. Might be someone, but no one well known.

A decade or so ago, Kucinich might have been that person.

Obama might be the closest, but he can't run.

Of those running, I think Bernie and Lizzie are closest programmatically - by which I mean that they want to heal the nation - but don't have Carter's demeanor.

Pete may have the best demeanor, but lacks the sincerity that Carter had (or that Bernie and Lizzie have). I think Booker probably has the sincerity, but lacks the demeanor.
Andjrew Sullivan on the Democrats:

"I’ll vote for anyone, including Warren or Sanders or even the vacuous “Beto” to defeat Trump. We proud human scum will not be distracted from the central task at hand. But let’s be honest: This is a field that has largely wilted upon inspection. For what it’s worth, I suspect Warren will win the nomination and dutifully lose the election just like Mondale, Dukakis, Gore, Kerry, and the second Clinton. She has that quintessential perfume of smug, well-meaning, mediocre doom that Democrats simply cannot resist."

http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2019...erence-between-boris-and-trump.html#democrats

You may have to scroll down.

Gandhi successfully led the movement that pushed the British out of India. He was killed during the chaos caused by the Partition after the British divided the subcontinent into Pakistan/India.

We never really had a chance to see him as the leader of a nation. Pakistani/Indian relations might well be completely different than they turned into.
Didn’t the Indian people choose the partition against the urgings of Gandhi? The British didn’t decide that after they were out of power. Gandhi was a successful revolutionary who couldn’t control the peace after the victory. That’s certainly not the example I want from our next leader.

Didn’t the Indian people choose the partition against the urgings of Gandhi? The British didn’t decide that after they were out of power. Gandhi was a successful revolutionary who couldn’t control the peace after the victory. That’s certainly not the example I want from our next leader.

I don't know for certain, that's not a subject I'm as familiar with. I do know that part of the chaos came from the British simply pulling out. I believe that Gandhi hoped for a united India. According to Wikipedia (so take it with a grain of salt), the partition was laid out in the Indian Independence Act of 1947.

How much say Indians/Pakistanis had in the partition I have no idea. My understanding has always been that the British mostly did this on their own and simply wanted out. There certainly doesn't appear to have been much thought to how the partition would ultimately happen. Something like 14 million people relocated between '47 and '50.

I didn't realize Gandhi was already 78 at the time of the Partition, so who knows how much he could have done during the transition period. He apparently was already attempting to do what he could to moderate what was happening, with some success, but tragically it was a fellow Hindu who killed him.

It's a sad fact that a lot of the men and women who started movements that had changed the world often do not get to see the fruits of their labours. Think Lincoln, MLK and Gandhi to name 3.

Reactions: naturalmwa
Jimmy Carter has not been silent on major issues.
Come to think of it, he needs to keep his mouth shut. From Wikopedia

Carter began his first year out of office with a pledge not to critique the new Reagan administration.[276] He spoke out after the assassination attempt on Reagan,[277] and voiced his agreement with Reagan on building neutron arms in the wake of the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan.[278] He later disagreed with Reagan's handling of the Middle East.[279] The following year, Carter called for bipartisanship to fix American economic issues,[280] and criticized the Reagan administration's handling of the Sabra and Shatila massacre.[281] Carter responded favorably to Reagan choosing to remain within the Camp David agreement,[282] with distaste toward what he felt was Reagan blaming his tenure for continued difficulties in policy.[283][284] In 1983, Carter judged the Reagan campaign with having falsified simplicity in solving issues,[285] and criticized Reagan for a lack of attention to human rights violations.[286] In 1984, Carter stated he had been wrongly presented as weak by Reagan due to a commitment to human rights during the previous presidential election,[287] and condemned Reagan for not making rescue efforts to retrieve four American businessmen from West Beirut.[288] In 1985, Carter rebuked Reagan over his handling of peace within the Middle East,[289] his support of the Strategic Defense Initiative,[290] and Reagan's claim of an international conspiracy on terrorism.[291] Carter's insistence that Reagan was not preserving peace in the Middle East continued in 1987,[292] Carter during the year also criticizing Reagan for adhering to terrorist demands,[293] nomination of Robert Bork for the Supreme Court,[294] and handling of the Persian Gulf.[295]

During the presidency of George W. Bush, Carter stated his opposition to the Iraq War,[296] and what he considered an attempt on the part of Bush and Tony Blair to oust Saddam Hussein through the usage of "lies and misinterpretations".[297] In May 2007, Carter stated the Bush administration "has been the worst in history" in terms of its impact in foreign affairs,[298] and later stated he was just comparing Bush's tenure to that of Richard Nixon.[299] Carter's comments received a response from the Bush administration in the form of Tony Fratto saying Carter was increasing his irrelevance with his commentary.[300] By the end of Bush's second term, Carter considered Bush's tenure disappointing, which he disclosed in comments to Forward Magazine of Syria.[301]

Though he praised President Obama in the early part of his tenure,[302] Carter stated his disagreements with the use of drone strikes against suspected terrorists, Obama's choice to keep Guantanamo Bay detention camp open,[303] and the current federal surveillance programs as disclosed by Edward Snowden indicating that "America has no functioning democracy at this moment."[304][305]

During the Trump presidency, Carter spoke favorably of the chance for immigration reform through Congress,[306] and criticized Trump for his handling of the U.S. national anthem protests.[307]

I don't know for certain, that's not a subject I'm as familiar with. I do know that part of the chaos came from the British simply pulling out. I believe that Gandhi hoped for a united India. According to Wikipedia (so take it with a grain of salt), the partition was laid out in the Indian Independence Act of 1947.

How much say Indians/Pakistanis had in the partition I have no idea. My understanding has always been that the British mostly did this on their own and simply wanted out. There certainly doesn't appear to have been much thought to how the partition would ultimately happen. Something like 14 million people relocated between '47 and '50.

I didn't realize Gandhi was already 78 at the time of the Partition, so who knows how much he could have done during the transition period. He apparently was already attempting to do what he could to moderate what was happening, with some success, but tragically it was a fellow Hindu who killed him.

It's a sad fact that a lot of the men and women who started movements that had changed the world often do not get to see the fruits of their labours. Think Lincoln, MLK and Gandhi to name 3.
That’s why I don’t think we need a revolutionary. A nice unifying centrist is what I’ll be hoping for. Bernie is also 78.

That’s why I don’t think we need a revolutionary. A nice unifying centrist is what I’ll be hoping for. Bernie is also 78.

If I had my pick, I think I'd prefer Klobuchar at the moment. I really don't want anyone in their 70s. If nothing else, that's just the period of time that I start to worry about the body breaking down.

I fully expect at least one, if not two surprises in the Iowa caucus.

Come to think of it, he needs to keep his mouth shut. From Wikopedia

Carter began his first year out of office with a pledge not to critique the new Reagan administration.[276] He spoke out after the assassination attempt on Reagan,[277] and voiced his agreement with Reagan on building neutron arms in the wake of the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan.[278] He later disagreed with Reagan's handling of the Middle East.[279] The following year, Carter called for bipartisanship to fix American economic issues,[280] and criticized the Reagan administration's handling of the Sabra and Shatila massacre.[281] Carter responded favorably to Reagan choosing to remain within the Camp David agreement,[282] with distaste toward what he felt was Reagan blaming his tenure for continued difficulties in policy.[283][284] In 1983, Carter judged the Reagan campaign with having falsified simplicity in solving issues,[285] and criticized Reagan for a lack of attention to human rights violations.[286] In 1984, Carter stated he had been wrongly presented as weak by Reagan due to a commitment to human rights during the previous presidential election,[287] and condemned Reagan for not making rescue efforts to retrieve four American businessmen from West Beirut.[288] In 1985, Carter rebuked Reagan over his handling of peace within the Middle East,[289] his support of the Strategic Defense Initiative,[290] and Reagan's claim of an international conspiracy on terrorism.[291] Carter's insistence that Reagan was not preserving peace in the Middle East continued in 1987,[292] Carter during the year also criticizing Reagan for adhering to terrorist demands,[293] nomination of Robert Bork for the Supreme Court,[294] and handling of the Persian Gulf.[295]

During the presidency of George W. Bush, Carter stated his opposition to the Iraq War,[296] and what he considered an attempt on the part of Bush and Tony Blair to oust Saddam Hussein through the usage of "lies and misinterpretations".[297] In May 2007, Carter stated the Bush administration "has been the worst in history" in terms of its impact in foreign affairs,[298] and later stated he was just comparing Bush's tenure to that of Richard Nixon.[299] Carter's comments received a response from the Bush administration in the form of Tony Fratto saying Carter was increasing his irrelevance with his commentary.[300] By the end of Bush's second term, Carter considered Bush's tenure disappointing, which he disclosed in comments to Forward Magazine of Syria.[301]

Though he praised President Obama in the early part of his tenure,[302] Carter stated his disagreements with the use of drone strikes against suspected terrorists, Obama's choice to keep Guantanamo Bay detention camp open,[303] and the current federal surveillance programs as disclosed by Edward Snowden indicating that "America has no functioning democracy at this moment."[304][305]

During the Trump presidency, Carter spoke favorably of the chance for immigration reform through Congress,[306] and criticized Trump for his handling of the U.S. national anthem protests.[307]

Carter has had a reputation at times for interjecting himself into foreign policy discussions at times without invitation, which has definitely irked multiple presidents.

He wasn't a great president, though he meant well. To an extent I've always felt like he was done in somewhat by circumstance. The Iran Hostage crisis would probably have torpedoed any presidency, or at least seriously damaged it at the very least. I do wonder if the rescue attempt that he authorized had succeeded...how much that would have changed his reputation. Would probably have made the election in '80 much more interesting at the very least.

Reactions: naturalmwa
If I had my pick, I think I'd prefer Klobuchar at the moment. I really don't want anyone in their 70s. If nothing else, that's just the period of time that I start to worry about the body breaking down.

Carter has had a reputation at times for interjecting himself into foreign policy discussions at times without invitation, which has definitely irked multiple presidents.

He wasn't a great president, though he meant well. To an extent I've always felt like he was done in somewhat by circumstance. The Iran Hostage crisis would probably have torpedoed any presidency, or at least seriously damaged it at the very least. I do wonder if the rescue attempt that he authorized had succeeded...how much that would have changed his reputation. Would probably have made the election in '80 much more interesting at the very least.
I could live with Amy.

Imagine a world where Carter wins a second term. No Reagan, no Republican revolution no Rush,Gingrich or Hannity, no Fox, no Trump. Republicans remain sane. Think what we could have accomplished if we hadn’t pissed away the last 40 years.

Reactions: billanole
Major issues are different than petty attention whoring issues.

I never voted for Obama and wasn't a huge fan, but what "attention whoring issues" has Obama chimed up about? Most everything I can remember has been him making a statement when Trump is making absolutely moronic decisions that hurt the nation or when he's directly responding to something about his Presidency that Trump is lying about.

If he would have indicated his support for the Shah, we would not have had the crisis.

hwB3fi5.jpg
Wifey just said, “ Yep, there is a real man right there.”
Depth of character, humility, lack of self importance, ability to see the big picture, no thought about holding a grudge. Wow. I wanna be like him if I ever grow up.

Reactions: Menace Sockeyes
Ehhhh, Obama is too much of a political activist in my mind. He needs to STFU, that is what has traditionally happened with ex-presidents.

"Political activism" such as...?

Sorry the popular black President still triggers you though. You should probably learn to let that go. It's been almost three year. You can wipe the froth from your mouth now.

Reactions: billanole
"Political activism" such as...?

Sorry the popular black President still triggers you though. You should probably learn to let that go. It's been almost three year. You can wipe the froth from your mouth now.
Welll, it is just that it has historically been the case that former presidents stay out of the fracas. It is dividing for the former presidents to get involved, and we need ONE to lead. That is how the system is set up.

Welll, it is just that it has historically been the case that former presidents stay out of the fracas. It is dividing for the former presidents to get involved, and we need ONE to lead. That is how the system is set up.

Again, I'm waiting for actual evidence of this "political activism"...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT