ADVERTISEMENT

Isaiah Fenton a Hawkeye

My uncle was a pin setter back in the day. He said he would throw a pin in once in awhile to make games go faster if he had something going on after work.
My brother had a similar job way back in the day and his trick of the trade was to write a flirty note, roll it up and put it in the thumb hole of a ball. Once returned through the conveyor to the pretty young ladies on lane 7...they would take it out, read it and start to giggle.

According to him...it worked as a way of getting the attention of bowler gals. I cannot personally confirm this story, but he stuck to it. :)

Amen, Brother. It's no surprise their business has gone down the crapper.

It is actually possible that Subway is "more fresh" than they once were, but it doesn't taste nearly as good. I might be wrong on that. I miss that early Subway smell and flavor.
Not only that but you barely get anything on your sandwich and the buns always seem to be dry and crusty AF. For the money you pay there you'd expect a better product. Jersey Mike's is Chef's kiss, IMO. It's similarly priced as Subway with much better ingredients, and they don't skimp on anything.

Reactions: blcoach80
Not only that but you barely get anything on your sandwich and the buns always seem to be dry and crusty AF. For the money you pay there you'd expect a better product. Jersey Mike's is Chef's kiss, IMO. It's similarly priced as Subway with much better ingredients, and they don't skimp on anything.
Subway and Pizza Hut love? This must be Iowa!

Subway and Pizza Hut love? This must be Iowa!
i've changed my choice of which sub's I prefer, Casey's has one of the sub's now. they still bake their own bun's, which to me makes the sub seperate from the others. most sub places now get the meat, lettuce and the other ingredient in packages that they just open and dump into the tray's that way it doesn't let the ingredients spoil.
used to have a place called Gas and Grub it was just 2 blocks away.

Subway you need to toast the cheese, onions, and green peppers before you add anything else. It was a game changer for me.

i've changed my choice of which sub's I prefer, Casey's has one of the sub's now. they still bake their own bun's, which to me makes the sub seperate from the others. most sub places now get the meat, lettuce and the other ingredient in packages that they just open and dump into the tray's that way it doesn't let the ingredients spoil.
used to have a place called Gas and Grub it was just 2 blocks away.
Gas stations don’t have the best food, in general, imo.

Oh there's little doubt Subway is the bottom of the barrel when it comes to sandwich shops. But sometimes it is about all you have, so you make due. The point was it was much better 25-30 years ago.

In my younger years
back in the mid 80’s we lived in the middle of nowhere and Dysart opened a Caseys and we were thrilled to be able to order carry out Pizza…… I tend to agree with you but Caseys ain’t bad

Kwik Star chicken and mac n cheese ain’t bad either

overall gas station food and bar food is nasty but exceptions to the rule and in these small towns a lot depends on the staff some Caseys are better than others

and finally small town burger joints like Hardees and McDonalds are better than big city ones as they usually cook stuff fresh but I haven’t ate at one in years….. the only fast food sandwich I buy is Burger Kings classic chicken……..I crave that occasionally

Reactions: el dub
In my younger years

back in the mid 80’s we lived in the middle of nowhere and Dysart opened a Caseys and we were thrilled to be able to order carry out Pizza…… I tend to agree with you but Caseys ain’t bad

Kwik Star chicken and mac n cheese ain’t bad either

overall gas station food and bar food is nasty but exceptions to the rule and in these small towns a lot depends on the staff some Caseys are better than others

and finally small town burger joints like Hardees and McDonalds are better than big city ones as they usually cook stuff fresh but I haven’t ate at one in years….. the only fast food sandwich I buy is Burger Kings classic chicken……..I crave that occasionally
I got spoiled after moving to west coast. The food, especially in California is generally a couple of notches above most other states, imo.

• Love
Reactions: natchrlman
this place did as their biggest customer was Traer Manufacturing a subsidery of MAGNA Corp out of Canada, they ended up closing all their factories in Iowa and moved those employees that wanted to go to Kentucky. for a Bull Sh** excuse to be closer to their customers.
The Big 4 in Detroit
John Deere a distance of 45 minutes away.

these for oversea customers
Toyota
Misitubisi
Honda

since most of the parts we make were transported by truck then shipped over by cargo ship except the Deere products all went to the Waterloo plant which are about 30 to 45 minutes away. they ended up putting about 1300 people out of work.

all the Iowa plants were with in 30 minutes of a interstate so semi's had no trouble getting in or out of.

Last edited:
Reactions: el dub
Back when I was In highschool Pizza Hut was sandwiched between subway and Burger King. The 3 hangouts for us Friday night after games. The bacon double cheeseburger combo was my go to. $3.17. And Enough to buy a cherry pie when all you had was 5 spot👍🏿

Reactions: natchrlman
Friday night was Happy Chef for a midnight breakfast Saterday night was a trip to the local sand pit for a couple beer's and fire pit to sit around. the police made their round to make sure we were not getting over board with our drinking.

they were avoiding any fight that may break out as local Son's of Silence Chapter would show up to make trouble and there was always some one to accomidate them, not exactly the exactly the brightest bulbs in the group.
but not ones to back away from a fight boy do I miss those days,a woman got killed there and the city fathers turned into a park and cleaned up the pit and turned into a lake stocking it with more bass, bluegil the red ear.

this place had it all a Pizza Hutt about 8 blocks away a 50 lane bowling center 1 more block, one of those early one stop gas stations that had gas fast food and the most importang item of all beer, single cans, 32 ounce bottle, by the case or a pony keg or the 16 gallon keg.

our own little paridise we even had a local pool hall. eating in at the PH.

wrestlers grow up eating PH pizza thick crust of course/thin crust if they are trying to make weight.
hey don't try to dismiss the importance of pizza in any form.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT