ADVERTISEMENT

Isaiah Moss scores 19pts in last 1:36

I predicted Moss would have a breakout year, instead he had one breakout game. I even messaged my buddy that went to Simeon to watch out for him. Oh well, maybe next year.

He has the overall talent to be a very good player for us. He just seems to get going too fast sometimes and is a super streaky shooter. If I were him, I would spend all summer working on ball handling and the 3 point shot.

Been one of my main concerns with the Fran era...just doesn't seem like weight training is a priority...with a few exceptions our guys seem to be so much thinner than much of our opposition....
And next year, it will become even more exaggerated with Joe and Conner.

He has the overall talent to be a very good player for us. He just seems to get going too fast sometimes and is a super streaky shooter. If I were him, I would spend all summer working on ball handling and the 3 point shot.
I can't think of many, if any, of Fran's players who have truly improved, or added new skill sets, during his tenure.

Yes side note....Moss might see a lot less time next year with JW and Conner.

The two people I see getting their minutes slashed (depending on where they like to play JW) is Moss/Bear/Nunge.

And next year, it will become even more exaggerated with Joe and Conner.
It's to be expected that a freshman would be on the skinny side and Connor just lost tons of weight during his illness so they get a pass.

My beef is guys in the program for years but they don't seem to develop physically like kids from many other programs.....looks literally like men playing against boys at times.

Used to be basketball coaches didn't want players lifting weights because they thought it'd hurt there shots or quickness. That school of thought died a couple decades ago....sometimes I think Fran still subscribes to it.

Just baffles me how Moss (many other examples) after 3 years in the program still looks skinny as a rail.

Reactions: bestive
Bohannon doesn't possess the quickness, athleticism, ball handling skills that are critical to a PG in the traditional sense at this level. The claim has been that Fran doesn't follow traditional position theory, so why try to force JBo into traditional duties such as primary ball handler? This is where some of us see the terrible roster management issues at there most critical. Whatever the position, there absolutely needs to be a higher level athlete with suerior ball handling, driving, slashing skills. Ideally, JBo would be the 3rd or 4th best ball handler on the team. He's a skilled shooter, that's where his energy should be directed. Setting up for threes, without the ball in his hands.
This is all correct. Bohannon is a point guard in the sense that he is the only "ballhandler" on the team. Iowa needs a defensive minded pg who can penetrate. This would put the bigs in more opportune positions and allow JBo to have kickouts for open 3's. Defensively it would go a long way in improving the team's overall defense. Right now the opposing pg can either get his own or get into his teams offense with ease. Disrupting this with a bulldog defender at point would help everything immensely. Bohannon is a tremendous shooter. For Iowa to become a player in March this is what he needs to be.

I don't believe JBo is playing out of position. He is a PG with weaknesses. If you move him to the 2 spot, he will be a SG with weaknesses. He's not big enough, or a good enough ball handler to penetrate with any effectiveness. In fact, no one on this team can do that, so you are looking at a team in which the PG, SG and SF are all poor ball handlers, no matter who you put in the game.

Put JBo at the point on any other B1G team and he would do just fine.

I really like JBo and I'm very happy he's on the team. But, he can't carry the team from any spot on the floor.
JBO is a real asset. However, what team in the BIG would he start for at PG? How many teams would he start for at the 2? You can hide his short comings at the 2 far easier than you can at PG. At PG, he is just too overmatched athletically and that is a not a knock on JBO.

It's to be expected that a freshman would be on the skinny side and Connor just lost tons of weight during his illness so they get a pass.

My beef is guys in the program for years but they don't seem to develop physically like kids from many other programs.....looks literally like men playing against boys at times.

Used to be basketball coaches didn't want players lifting weights because they thought it'd hurt there shots or quickness. That school of thought died a couple decades ago....sometimes I think Fran still subscribes to it.

Just baffles me how Moss (many other examples) after 3 years in the program still looks skinny as a rail.
The Strength Program has a lot to be desired. Borderline pathetic.

Reactions: hawkhorn
"Isaiah Moss, whether he realizes it or not, he's a pro. If he wants to be, he's a pro. Whether he has the mentality to develop his game and continue to get better and better, he's got the skill set to be a pro...He's got that in him, I am telling you. Look out for Isiah Moss." -- Jon Crispin

Is Jon Crispin right or wrong?

"Isaiah Moss, whether he realizes it or not, he's a pro. If he wants to be, he's a pro. Whether he has the mentality to develop his game and continue to get better and better, he's got the skill set to be a pro...He's got that in him, I am telling you. Look out for Isiah Moss." -- Jon Crispin

Is Jon Crispin right or wrong?
Dead wrong.

Reactions: Ycusi
I think we all get hung up on PG, SG, etc. JBo weakness isn't offense, It's his defense.
If Iowa can get another guard who can handle the ball and run the offense, Jbo becomes a much bigger asset with his shooting ability.
He is completely worn down at this point because he is the only guy who can dribble, set up the offense and he is our best 3 point shooter. He needs help! Next year, he will get it, we are bringing in 3 guards.

If our 2G or 3G could take the ball and dribble penetrate, then that would take a lot of pressure off JBo. Moss is not much of a a dribble drive guy-- he and Baer are mostly guys that shoot 3PT shots. I don't know how you hide JBO on defense but one thing to do is to make him the designated Flopper...just get in front of guys and flop, refs call it IF you SELL it.

Look at the tape on the professional Flopper Brad Davidson of Wisconsin...30+ drawn charges this year. The entire Iowa team probably has 1/2 that or less. All you do is look for any shoulder dip or forearm extension and you launch yourself backwards and refs call that.

Reactions: unclesammy
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT