ADVERTISEMENT

ISU

sadiehawkins

HB All-American
Sep 21, 2008
Don't think they'll fire their coach because of all the coaching vacancies. I think he lucked out this yr.

OK, but that is a terrible reason if they actually used that for keeping their coach. If he doesn't win any more games, he will be gone.

I doubt ISU is looking for the same guy as all the big boys anyway.

Reactions: ichawk24
I'm not sure the high profile coaches were going to consider ISU anyway. Look at who KU hired last year (just a wide receiver coach). Maybe they'll surprise me but I'm not anticipating they are going to get a really highly sought after guy.

Reactions: 1stplacehawk
Can isu afford the buyout on PR

If Paul doesn't get to five wins and keep fan interest, I am not sure we can afford not to buy him out. I have no inside information, but digging around a bit leads me to believe that there may be some donation money that came in late on the SEZ project and probably allows for the buyout without delving too deep into reserves. The real question is, in my mind, if we do make the change will enough money be found to actually attract and pay a competent HC AND staff. ISU has spent a lot of money (by ISU standards) on facilities in the last 5-6 years. It seems like the decision needs to be made to find enough money to get out of the bottom five or six of the Power 5 conference schools in coaching staff salaries.

If ISU is going to fire/hire, they should do it now. New stadium improvements, basketball team doing well...seems to be some excitement from fans around that program. I hope they just cut the cord with PR and shoot for someone known. It can't be as impossible to win there as it has been the last 10 years.

I'm not sure the high profile coaches were going to consider ISU anyway. Look at who KU hired last year (just a wide receiver coach). Maybe they'll surprise me but I'm not anticipating they are going to get a really highly sought after guy.
This is true, but high profile coaches wont look at Illinois, Minnisota, Purdue, etc either....unfortunately (or fortunately I can not decide) almost every school with an opening at the D1 level is a better gig than ISU....ISU is probably a top 5 worst P5 job

I wonder if they could get Fred to leave the Bulls and switch to football?

Don't think they'll fire their coach because of all the coaching vacancies. I think he lucked out this yr.
Uh ... filling the ISU football vacancy will be like filling the Kansas job. Rhoads is gone after this year. No ifs, ands, or buts. Next in line will either be a coordinator at a so-so school, or they will try to bring in a coach from the MAC level ... ISU simply is not going to draw a "name coach." Rhoads has been given one year too many, and he will not be on the sideline next year.

Last edited:
If ISU is going to fire/hire, they should do it now. New stadium improvements, basketball team doing well...seems to be some excitement from fans around that program. I hope they just cut the cord with PR and shoot for someone known. It can't be as impossible to win there as it has been the last 10 years.
Actually for some reason it appears that a strong basketball program does not correlate to success on the field, actually it looks like the opposite correlation- elite basketball program=poor football program (Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky would be the 3 that comes to mind) has been a basketball school for years. There are examples that this does not hold true (Florida a few year back) but overall

ISU is in a bad spot. It is clearly not a destination job. If a coach does poorly, they get fired. If they do well, they will leave.

Iowa may not be a destination job, but they have "destination money".

IMO, they did the right thing hiring Rhodes. They need someone that has ties to the school and is thrilled to be there. Someone with enthusiasm that can sell the program to fans and recruits. Maybe a former player or someone from Danny Mac's coaching tree. Or maybe they should bring Mac back.

If none of those exist, I would go to a HC candidate from a non-Power 5 conference looking to mix it up with the bigger schools. Or, maybe someone like Brock Spack. I would not go the way of hiring some hot coordinator from a successful program (e.g. Cheeze dick).

Uh ... filling the ISU football vacancy will be like filling the Kansas job. Rhoads is gone after this year. No ifs, ands, or buts. Next in line will either be a coordinator at a so-so school, or they will try to bring in a coach from the MAC level ... ISU simply is not going to draw a "name coach." Rhoads has been given one year too many, and he will not be on the sideline next year.
There are some major ifs, ands and buts. If he wins three, he will be back. Even the most virulent anti-Rhoads fans concede this. If he wins two, he might be back.

You are correct that filling the job will be similar to what the situation would be/has been at Kansas. ISU has better facilities and significantly more fan support, but the situations are analogous. And you are correct that ISU isn't going to get a "name"coach, but if you are implying ISU will try to get a "name" coach, I think you are incorrect. For that matter, how many schools actually try to get a "name" coach? A handful, at most. Iowa certainly didn't. Off the top of my head, I can't think of any BiG school except Ohio State that has gone for a "name" coach.

Of course, it depends upon your definition of a "name" coach.

My personal feeling is that if Rhoads needs to be replaced, Pollard (and Leath, probably) will prefer to get someone who has been a head coach. The last three hires have been defensive coordinators, and I don't know if ISU should go to that well again.

IMO, given Pollard is in to "sizzle" hires with no experience, ala Hoiberg, JP will hire Rosenfelds and surround him with assistants that will really "coach" the team.

He will also be good for their new QB Lanning's development.

I'd love to see Chad Morris (SMU), or Dave Christensen (Former Mizzou OC, WY HC) get a go in Ames. Both are familiar with the recruiting territory and run some high scoring offenses. Good fit for the BigXII.

IMO, given Pollard is in to "sizzle" hires with no experience, ala Hoiberg, JP will hire Rosenfelds and surround him with assistants that will really "coach" the team.

He will also be good for their new QB Lanning's development.

While it would seem out of left field on its face, what would they really have to lose by bringing in someone like rosenfels if he was interested? They could get worse and switch places with kansas, but that's not much of a fall off. It is just as likely they'd improve.

I think ISU could get a good coach. I would go after Diaco, coach at Conn. Maybe Norvell, OC at Texas, or even Brian Ferentz. There are some x-Iowa players and coaches I would consider. They come from a good coaching tree and they would probably take a chance at ISU, a power 5 school.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT