ADVERTISEMENT

"It’s time to say it: the US supreme court has become an illegitimate institution" - Do You Agree?

Rate SCOTUS's legitimacy. Then indicate if you think overturning Roe improved or hurt its legitimacy

• Total voters
This always should have been an issue determined by legislative bodies, not by the courts.

Quite frankly a lot of supreme court decisions have done that sort of thing. The root of this entire problem is that the court has been making decisions that the legislative bodies should be making.

Not intended to be combative, but can you link something that references 300+ Obama appointments. With that said, I agree the R's were not willing to consent to the appointees being presented, but I am not willing to call it obstruction the way Obama labeled it. Obama's appointees were politically motivated in the 2nd most powerful circuit court of appeals in the country, that btw had the lowest volume of appeals out of any of the circuit appeals courts. The workload of the courts was not the issue. The issue was Obama was going to take an evenly divided court and make it 7-4.

Filibuster at its core is to force compromise. Ending the filibuster was wrong, and in my view, it put in motion a culture within congress that refuses to compromise. If Obama had put forth more moderate appointees, then there would not have been a need for the filibuster. I think it was wrong for the R's to block Garland, but it was in response to the nuclear option put in place by the democrat senators under Harry Reid.

I am personally against the most recent Gun Safety Bill that was signed into law, but I love that it received more than 60 votes in the senate. It is what happens when both parties compromise. Filibuster being returned would lead to more moderate judges being appointed in the Judicial System.

Our Legislative Branch would be an even bigger disaster if they completely remove filibuster, which some senators want to do. We can not let our Senate become a circus, which will happen if they end filibuster.

He did put forth a moderate Merrick Garland and they wouldn't give him a vote either. But of course ACB got a quick vote like 2 weeks before an election.

There is no question that McConnell was using the power of the filibuster to hold up the works of government.

The Republicans ultimately refuse to govern in good faith. That's why even in this election I'll be voting for Dems even though I would prefer the Republicans be writing the laws on abortion. Because the right refuses to govern in good faith and has been for years. There are multiple examples of their flat out refusal to act in good faith. Their response to Jan 6th as been another one.

And I don't take seriously anyone who posts bullshit like that. It's already been shown to be woefully misinformed so no need for me to rehash it.

And it's not the greatest tool, it's simply an easy one to point out abject foolishness.
What part of my post was BS in your OBJECTIVE view? Why? Be a contributor rather than being emotional. I seem to be one of the posters who does my best to listen and stay informed. It is an opportunity for you help other understand why my view is the wrong one.

What part of my post was BS in your OBJECTIVE view? Why? Be a contributor rather than being emotional. I seem to be one of the posters who does my best to listen and stay informed. It is an opportunity for you help other understand why my view is the wrong one.
SL Hawk Fan laid it out very nicely. As did Hoosier just a minute ago. Your suggestion was pure propaganda from the right.

He did put forth a moderate Merrick Garland and they wouldn't give him a vote either. But of course ACB got a quick vote like 2 weeks before an election.

There is no question that McConnell was using the power of the filibuster to hold up the works of government.

The Republicans ultimately refuse to govern in good faith. That's why even in this election I'll be voting for Dems even though I would prefer the Republicans be writing the laws on abortion. Because the right refuses to govern in good faith and has been for years. There are multiple examples of their flat out refusal to act in good faith. Their response to Jan 6th as been another one.
I don't know that I agree MG is a moderate, but I do agree it was a BS move by R Senators to not allow Obama to make the appointment citing it was an election year. It is even worse that they rushed through an appointment in ACB at the witches hour of an election.

MM came right out said the D's would live to see a day they eliminated Filibuster for judicial and executive appointments. Had HR not removed Filibuster, none of this would have been an issue.

The D's never accepted the results of the 2016 election and MAGA never accepted the results of the 2020 election. To say one side acts in good faith and the other does not is not objective. Neither side has acted in good faith. This is what makes the recent Gun Safety bill a spark of hope in the senate. Filibuster must remain and I am not sure why some people can't understand how problematic it has been and will be without it.

• Haha
Reactions: RileyHawk
I don't know that I agree MG is a moderate, but I do agree it was a BS move by R Senators to not allow Obama to make the appointment citing it was an election year. It is even worse that they rushed through an appointment in ACB at the witches hour of an election.

MM came right out said the D's would live to see a day they eliminated Filibuster for judicial and executive appointments. Had HR not removed Filibuster, none of this would have been an issue.

The D's never accepted the results of the 2016 election
and MAGA never accepted the results of the 2020 election. To say one side acts in good faith and the other does not is not objective. Neither side has acted in good faith. This is what makes the recent Gun Safety bill a spark of hope in the senate. Filibuster must remain and I am not sure why some people can't understand how problematic it has been and will be without it.
Bullshit.

SL Hawk Fan laid it out very nicely. As did Hoosier just a minute ago. Your suggestion was pure propaganda from the right.
Great example of SL Hawk Fan being a contributor. You should be more like him. Hoosier was objective and I agreed with him on some of it. It was a great contribution to the discussion and gave an opportunity to find common ground.

You are not objective and you are not a contributor. Why is it you refer to everything from the conservative side as propaganda and see nothing from your own view as propaganda?

The D's never accepted the results of the 2016 election and MAGA never accepted the results of the 2020 election. To say one side acts in good faith and the other does not is not objective. Neither side has acted in good faith. This is what makes the recent Gun Safety bill a spark of hope in the senate. Filibuster must remain and I am not sure why some people can't understand how problematic it has been and will be without it.

MG was a moderate in his rulings. He was put forward specifically because Obama thought a moderate might pass a Republican controlled senate.

And the thing is he would have passed if he would have even gotten a vote. There was a reason that McConnell chose to not even hold the vote rather then just vote him down. Because he knew a few Republican senators would give him an up vote.

I can't say that the Dems always govern in good faith but I've seen way more bad faith out of the right.

The fact that Trump led a freaking coup on the government and the right protected him and continues to protect him is telling. Nixon did way less and was going to be impeached and removed.

Great example of SL Hawk Fan being a contributor. You should be more like him. Hoosier was objective and I agreed with him on some of it. It was a great contribution to the discussion and gave an opportunity to find common ground.

You are not objective and you are not a contributor. Why is it you refer to everything from the conservative side as propaganda and see nothing from your own view as propaganda?
I didn't need to contribute. Your foolishness had already been well refuted. But then you decided to double down and ignore what you learned from those posters. Ending the filibuster was forced and it did not lead to the SC as we see it now. That was all McConnell. This has been a long time strategy since the Obama days to make him a one term President. Obstruct, delay and lie. And you bought it.

MG was a moderate in his rulings. He was put forward specifically because Obama thought a moderate might pass a Republican controlled senate.

And the thing is he would have passed if he would have even gotten a vote. There was a reason that McConnell chose to not even hold the vote rather then just vote him down. Because he knew a few Republican senators would give him an up vote.

I can't say that the Dems always govern in good faith but I've seen way more bad faith out of the right.

The fact that Trump led a freaking coup on the government and the right protected him and continues to protect him is telling. Nixon did way less and was going to be impeached and removed.
I admit to being ignorant and unqualified to have an opinion on his rulings. MM may very well have given a "Heisman Pose" to MG even if HR didn't eliminate filibuster for judicial and executive appointments. None of us know.

We should all agree that the hypocrisy of not voting on MG and then giving consent on ACB is divisive and wrong. Also, while I believe Trump and any others accused should get to put forth their defense, if what he is being accused of is true, then the punishment must be so severe that is ensures it will never happen again.

I don't know when both sides can call a truce and get back to working together, but it would be in the best interest of the People that it does..

I didn't need to contribute. Your foolishness had already been well refuted. But then you decided to double down and ignore what you learned from those posters. Ending the filibuster was forced and it did not lead to the SC as we see it now. That was all McConnell. This has been a long time strategy since the Obama days to make him a one term President. Obstruct, delay and lie. And you bought it.
My best regards to you. We have nothing to gain from each other. You lack civility, measure and reason. You come across as a fascist.

My best regards to you. We have nothing to gain from each other. You lack civility, measure and reason. You come across as a fascist.
Lol - you the right wing playbook and have the nerve to call someone else a fascist? GFY.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT