Anyone see anything different?

Buddy text me from the practice
“Lainez couldn’t hit water if he was in a boat”
“Dejong fake blocked a guy fell down and curled into a ball”
Hill had ball at his waist and was stripped at 5 yd line on Third and goal”
“ Hill and Lainez couldn’t hit anyone in just drills”
“ couldn’t run the ball”
Yikes, definitely not encouraging news - let’s pray that Cade is healthy all year…🙏

“ couldn’t run the ball”

That can’t be……I’ve been told 1000 times on this board alone. Marco is clearly better than Hill.

And we have the dumbest…er, I mean smartest fans on the interwebs….so they HAVE to be right….🤷‍♂️

That can’t be……I’ve been told 1000 times on this board alone. Marco is clearly better than Hill.

And we have the dumbest…er, I mean smartest fans on the interwebs….so they HAVE to be right….🤷‍♂️
What's funny is that if ML went out this year and threw only 6 TDs and committed 13 turnovers, he'd have had a better season than Hill did last year. Lol.

He is better than Hill. Hill actually had an interception and Lainez nearly had an interception. Look at the positives man...lol

The reality is nothing will change. If Cade gets hurt, which he will with our offensive line and how fragile he is. Hill and Lainez are not Div 1 qb’s. Barnett still sucks!!!! Recruiting offensively has been terrible.

Get a healthy Cade + add a portal backup. Unfortunate Lainez is struggling - but Iowa has been terrible at evaluating QBs …
I just don’t understand. The guy completed 80% of his passes his senior year and many were deep passes.

The offense will be more enjoyable to watch next year. Look at the positive side. The install isn't even finished yet. Step back from the ledge. Give next fall a chance*.

*pleasepleaseplease get a QB in the portal**
**if this does not happen, proceed to step towards the ledge again

“ couldn’t run the ball”
I guess the only part that is disappointing (considering its the spring game) is that Marco couldn't complete passes. That's troubling.

The rest of it is either not surprising given the talent or about what I would expect in a spring game after a couple of weeks of installing a new offense.

Reactions: hawkandroll
Io
I guess the only part that is disappointing (considering its the spring game) is that Marco couldn't complete passes. That's troubling.

The rest of it is either not surprising given the talent or about what I would expect in a spring game after a couple of weeks of installing a new offense.
i would say Hill and Dejong still on scholarship is disappointing

The offense will be more enjoyable to watch next year. Look at the positive side. The install isn't even finished yet. Step back from the ledge. Give next fall a chance*.

*pleasepleaseplease get a QB in the portal**
**if this does not happen, proceed to step towards the ledge again
Exactly. This guy gets it. They had 15 practices. It takes time to install a new system. When fall rolls around, I'll be shocked if Lester doesn't have a better offense than Iowa has had for the last couple years.

Last edited:
It's the old adage of just because we return everyone, it doesn't mean they're gonna magically turn into better players.

Anymore these days, guys are what they are. And we've recruited like straight trash offensively and/or not developed them worth a sh** either over the last 3-4 years..........

In this day and age, it probably speaks more to the fact that we're not having to beat coaches/NIL recruiters with a stick to keep them away from our offensive personnel.

Just sayin...........................

Reactions: littlez and 83Hawk
I just don’t understand. The guy completed 80% of his passes his senior year and many were deep passes.
This seems to be the new "I just don't understand. Petras broke all of Jared Goff's HS records."

There is an art to evaluating a QB at one level and determining how well his game will translate to the next level. The Iowa coaching staff just plain doesn't have anyone scouting HS QB's who is good at this, and hasn't for a long time (fingers crossed that Lester has this knack).

My hope is if Marco gets enough work with Lester he’ll become at least serviceable. I have no hope for Deacon. None.

I think we are seeing the full aftermath of how much Brian ****ed up quarterbacks. Spencer Petras was inconsistent his first year starting in 2020 but showed potential and had good moments. Brian takes over quarterbacks and Petras gets steadily worse every year.

Alex Padilla sucked, Cade McNamara had his struggles, Deacon Hill has been atrocious, and Marco Lainez can’t hit the broadside of a barn.

After all these quarterbacks have struggled as much as they have, it begins to become clear what the problem was. I just hope the Budster doesn’t screw up the wide receivers even worse than Brian ruined the quarterbacks.

Iowa needs a portal quarterback in the worst way. Someone who has had no contact with Brian whatsoever.

This seems to be the new "I just don't understand. Petras broke all of Jared Goff's HS records."

There is an art to evaluating a QB at one level and determining how well his game will translate to the next level. The Iowa coaching staff just plain doesn't have anyone scouting HS QB's who is good at this, and hasn't for a long time (fingers crossed that Lester has this knack).
Petras still only completed 63% of his passes in HS. It wasn’t like his completion was great in HS and went to hell. You complete 70 and 80% of your throws in HS, which is impressive, I expect you to be able to throw the ball accurately.

Reactions: Birky
“ couldn’t run the ball”
I saw it a bit different.
- Run game was pretty decent against a heck of a defense. Broke numerous runs off the tackle after motion by TE. Even some decent yards up the middle. Got stuffed up the middle a few times as well but I was encouraged by the run game.
- Deacon had a couple of bad plays no doubt. He still loses composure under pressure. And gets real loose w the ball.
- I thought Marco looked pretty good. But I would have liked to see him vs the number ones on D. Had a few really good balls. Couple of clunkers. He is definitely mobile. Hit a TE on a great throw/catch on a scramble.
- special teams needs some work. Blocked kick. Missed kicks but a few long ones were spot on
- RB White who I was not familiar with made some nice moves/plays. Great pickup of a blitz. RBs looked good. This scheme is good for them

Just a few tidbits. I feel much better than last years shitshow on offense. Lots to improve on but I like the direction.

In the very limited amount of observation on ML he is decent running the ball. That in itself is 50% better than DH if neither one can hit a receiver. Wonder how ML’s ball security is. DH’s is horrible, so ML may be 66% better. Jury is still out…

It was one practice and he was going against the second team but I thought Marco looked much better than Hill today. Still, Marco didn’t look that good. Clearly they need another portal QB.
Marco was better. Too bad his last position coach doesn’t actually coach QBs. I liked the improvement in him I saw today…and he has wheels.

Reactions: Bierhalter and nu2u

Marco is better. This is his first experience with a coach that knows how to coach.

I saw him complete a number of passes.

• Wow
Reactions: Hawk_4shur
In the very limited amount of observation on ML he is decent running the ball. That in itself is 50% better than DH if neither one can hit a receiver. Wonder how ML’s ball security is. DH’s is horrible, so ML may be 66% better. Jury is still out…
This. Let's say the passing is a wash. ML can run and he doesn't carry the damn ball around his waist in traffic waiting to fumble it.

Petras still only completed 63% of his passes in HS. It wasn’t like his completion was great in HS and went to hell. You complete 70 and 80% of your throws in HS, which is impressive, I expect you to be able to throw the ball accurately.
Petras was playing big time California high school football and probably really good defensive players rather than West Okoboji High School of the Lakes.

Reactions: Hawkeyegeorge12
“ couldn’t run the ball”
Both QB's had some good throws and some that weren't great. Caleb Brown and Terrell Washington looked really good and Wetjen, Howard and Buie all look promising. Seth Anderson , another good receiver didn't participate , nor did Logan Jones or Gennings Dunker. apparently they are nicked up a little. The TE's and running backs are excellent and deep. The statement that we couldn't run the ball wasn't accurate , each running back that participated had some good runs. Like I said the OL was without two starters, but I think the guys who did play looked improved. The defense was sending frequent blitz's from the secondary without a rb kept in to block. I'm sure they wanted to see how quickly the QB's could make their reads and get rid of the ball. Both QB's struggled some against these blitzes. Hopefully Cade will be healthy this fall. As expected the defense looks outstanding , with quality depth. Stevens looked great kicking field goals and the new punter looked good. We have a tough schedule but I think the Hawkeyes could be outstanding this fall. Go Hawks !

Marco was better. Too bad his last position coach doesn’t actually coach QBs. I liked the improvement in him I saw today…and he has wheels.
I’d be more than OK with QB rollouts and let Marco wing it or run every pass play over another year of an immobile fence post in the pocket.

Three years of Petras followed by another long year of Deacon Hill is going to finally destroy my liver.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT