ADVERTISEMENT

It's grilling season, boyz. Let's hear your favorite dishes.

London Broils come in two different shapes. Both are thicker than a normal steak but one is Flatter like a thick looking skirt steak or and the other is a cubed cylinder. I tend to like the flatter ones better due to there being more surface area, therefore more char. BOTH ARE PICTURED BELOW.

Fork your meat. I usually hit all four sides with a fork about 8-10 times. I'll get the off the shelf sesame ginger marinade (Ken's I think). Put it in a ziplock with all of the marinade and leave on the counter. The MOST IMPORTANT THING about grilling beef is allowing it to get to room temp.

After an hour in the marinade, take it out and season it with garlic powder, onion powder, S N P.

Put your grill on HIGH.

Put meat on grill. Cover for 2 minutes. Rotate 90 degrees. Cover.
2 minutes. Flip. Cover
2 minutes. Rotate 90 and turn off grill and cover.

IF YOU DO THE CYLYNDRICAL ONE, CUT TIME BY 30 secs and do,all four sides.

After about 8 more minutes depending on the thickness. Take out and let rest.

Carve thinly at 22 degree angle.

It pairs best with my spaghetti ala carbonara (that's what you need to learn). But the normal trimmings will do.

london-broil-steak-horiz-a-2000.jpg

London-Broil.jpg

What temp is "high"?

Grilled chicken hindquarters with a Caribbean Jerk marinade have become my specialty.

But I can't wait for peaches. Those on the grill are to die for.

Grilled wings on the weber gas grill seasoned up and tossed in some bww sauce (their wings suck but love their sauces) with some homemade blue cheese dipping sauce and some nice brews.

I grill year 'round but in the Summer months the grill takes the place of the stove or oven as we fire it up about 5 times a week. On the grill, steak is my favorite (but try not to eat red meat too often) ... Love me some chicken as well ... And always have a side dish of grilled veggies on the grill ...

As for my smoker ... ribs and beer can chicken are staples ... And every so often a pork shoulder ...

I could never, ever be a vegetarian ..

You don't use temperatures?

Nah...Ive been using my grill for 12 years now. There's no paint on the knobs anymore. My high setting is 550 I think.

I cook a steak on the highest setting. The LB is a lot thicker so I time up the desired char with desired doneness (medium rare).

I'm noticing a lot of strak houses don't have their grills hot enough. The meat ends up grey between the grill marks instead of a nice dark brown.

Can't wait to try the OP's chicken recipe. Here's another one that is a big-time family favorite. Note that it can also be made with boneless chicken breasts, in which case I omit the oven baking and just grill them until done, basting frequently with the marinade. I also garnish with chopped cilantro, which adds a great finishing touch.

GRILLED BALSAMIC CHICKEN

(4 servings)

1 chicken, quartered (2 1/2 to 3 pounds)

1/4 cup chicken broth

1/2 cup balsamic vinegar

1/3 cup chopped scallions

2 tablespoons Dijon-style mustard

1 tablespoon minced garlic

1 tablespoon sugar

2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce

1 teaspoon dry mustard

1 teaspoon cracked black pepper

Rinse the chicken pieces and pat them dry. Arrange the chicken in a shallow baking dish. In a small bowl, combine the remaining ingredients and whisk to blend well. Pour the marinade over the chicken, cover and refrigerate for at least 24 hours, turning occasionally. Bring the chicken and marinade to room temperature.

Bake in a preheated 325-degree oven for 30 to 40 minutes. Remove the chicken from the marinade, and reserve the marinade. Place the chicken on a prepared grill and cook for 5 to 6 minutes on each side, until tender, basting with the reserved marinade. Remove skin and serve immediately.

My dinner was disappointing. Pork was tough. I think maybe it was in the freezer too long -- going on 2 years -- and I apparently overcooked it.

Pineapple, on the other hand, was outstanding. Cut thick slices, dusted with demerara sugar, grilled about 3 minutes per side over medium heat.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT