ADVERTISEMENT

J’Den Cox retires

Class act and a hell of a competitor. Forgot he was a 6 time world/olympic medalist with 2 golds, thought he had like 4 or so medals total only. That plus 3x ncaa champ and 4x state champ. Guy really did accomplish just about everything this sport had to offer. 29 with 2x 6 month olds sounds like a good time to hang it up. Best of luck to him in his future endeavors.

Pure class as always. J'Den's impact goes beyond his incredible success on the mat--talking openly about his mental health struggles to help others, dealing with hearing loss and learning ASL, a calm and measured voice of reason during times of social upheaval. Truly one of the best ambassadors our sport has ever had. He's inspired me and no doubt countless others. Congrats on an amazing competitive career and best of luck with whatever comes next (I hear Iowa City is nice this time of year by the way).

I’ve told this story before, but I went to the 2012 Trials when Henry Cejudo retired, and tossed his boots into the stands. A friend of mine is big in the wrestling community, and the next day bought dinner for a group of about fifteen of us. Royce Alger was sitting next to me, working hard on his steak, when someone asked if we all thought Cejudo was really retired or if he might come back. Royce didn’t look up, but immediately said, “No, he’s not wrestling again.”

We all asked how he was so sure, and still looking down while cutting his steak he said, “For one thing, he doesn’t have any boots.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT