ADVERTISEMENT

Planning for a British Golf Trip

StormHawk42

HR Legend
Nov 3, 2009
Dad retires (or so he says) in summer of 2025. Was hoping to take him on a golf trip to Scotland. I know the big courses like St Andrew’s are probably already booked up. Beyond that, any advice on how to get started? Dad will be 73 so mobility might be a bit of an issue and I know they don’t like carts over there.

It’s a pretty intimidating process. Should I just use a travel agent?

Dad retires (or so he says) in summer of 2025. Was hoping to take him on a golf trip to Scotland. I know the big courses like St Andrew’s are probably already booked up. Beyond that, any advice on how to get started? Dad will be 73 so mobility might be a bit of an issue and I know they don’t like carts over there.

You don’t need a travel agent but hook up with a Scotland golf tee time broker. Several have guaranteed tee times at St Andrews and others.

And try some of the “lesser” courses which are very good at a fraction of the price.

Reactions: hwk23

Jealous

I think there are various specialized golf trip planners, akin to travel agents, but golf specific.

First time over there, I’d do something like pay for a service like that; and if I took a second trip, I’d plan it around my first experience.

He’s worked till 72? What does he do?

And yes, take that trip. I’d recommend golf tee times being set then make your lodging around golf. Air bnb or VRBO a place either close to each course or centrally located to all the courses so you are at one place and not bouncing around to multiple stays. Good luck.

I have a buddy from high school that he and a group of guys used to go to the Ryder cup nearly every year no matter where they played it.

All I got

Something I did not know- You didn't need a reservation to play the Old Course at St. Andrews. You could show up and get in line and if they had any openings, they'd slot you in. Now, they have a ballot/lottery system you have to enter 2 days before your planned outing. No guarantee on a tee time, but worth a shot.

He’s worked till 72? What does he do?

And yes, take that trip. I’d recommend golf tee times being set then make your lodging around golf. Air bnb or VRBO a place either close to each course or centrally located to all the courses so you are at one place and not bouncing around to multiple stays. Good luck.
I’ll keep it vague but he’s a lawyer that works for a lot of other lawyers. He loves working.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT