ADVERTISEMENT

Jacob Blake has done this before

George Floyd really is a black unicorn-type event, where I haven't seen anyone try to justify kneeling on a guy's neck for several minutes.

I don't understand why tackling him, or tasing him wasn't an option.
HE WAS ARMED WITH A KNIFE! THEY ALREADY TASED HIM! Anyone of us would have died in this exact scenario.

Reactions: Yetty and iahawks10
George Floyd really is a black unicorn-type event, where I haven't seen anyone try to justify kneeling on a guy's neck for several minutes.

I don't understand why tackling him, or tasing him wasn't an option.
I've seen too many people claim George Floyd caused his own death.

I believe they did taze him and had him down, but he got up from that. If they didn't, I agree that should be done before shooting. Or why not taze him again? I don't know. I don't think simply tackling him was necessarily an easy option. And, again, I wonder what impact the kids in the car had on the decision.

I'm not ready to convict or acquit the police in this one yet.

Reactions: Legend12
So 4 cops couldn't handle 1 guy with a knife without resorting to deadly force? Your last point is an assumption. Neither you nor me knows exactly what he was reaching for.

But again, why did they let him go all the way around the car? I get that there was a degree of danger involved in the situation. But there are too many unknowns for me to say I'm okay with shooting him, like you seem to be.
People are so quick to judge when your own life is not in danger. Nobody knows what was in the car. I am not assuming anything. The cops had shown incredible restraint up to the point the guy goes to the car and my understanding is that the guy was reaching for something. The guy was previously arrested for guns and ammunition in his car. It is not a terrible assumption that it could have been possible the guy had a gun on his seat. You are correct on one thing, there are too many unknowns. Therefore, it would be best to wait until more information comes out before jumping on the bandwagon that cops are just out to kill black people.

People are so quick to judge when your own life is not in danger. Nobody knows what was in the car. I am not assuming anything. The cops had shown incredible restraint up to the point the guy goes to the car and my understanding is that the guy was reaching for something. The guy was previously arrested for guns and ammunition in his car. It is not a terrible assumption that it could have been possible the guy had a gun on his seat. You are correct on one thing, there are too many unknowns. Therefore, it would be best to wait until more information comes out before jumping on the bandwagon that cops are just out to kill black people.
Here is our fundamental difference of opinion- a cop SHOULD - one might argue MUST - be willing to put their lives in danger in order to protect and serve the citizenry and again, constitutionally, this INCLUDES crime suspects. It is wholly irrelevant if I - Joe Blow Citizen - am willing to do so or not.
This means, yeah, a couple cops may need to risk serious injury or death to unarm a threat with a knife on the scene without resorting to lethal force. Some cops will be hurt, some may be killed. It used to be that that was considered a legitimate downside of having a job in law enforcement. If you aren’t willing to live with that risk and think every cop’s most important job is to make it home safely, then I argue you are in the wrong line of work.

And for the record, I do not view this particular situation as racially motivated. I view it as poor police work. That said, in the current climate, that is a terrible issue to have when responding to incidents in primarily black neighborhoods.

Reactions: BelemNole
Here is our fundamental difference of opinion- a cop SHOULD - one might argue MUST - be willing to put their lives in danger in order to protect and serve the citizenry and again, constitutionally, this INCLUDES crime suspects. It is wholly irrelevant if I - Joe Blow Citizen - am willing to do so or not.
This means, yeah, a couple cops may need to risk serious injury or death to unarm a threat with a knife on the scene without resorting to lethal force. Some cops will be hurt, some may be killed. It used to be that that was considered a legitimate downside of having a job in law enforcement. If you aren’t willing to live with that risk and think every cop’s most important job is to make it home safely, then I argue you are in the wrong line of work.

And for the record, I do not view this particular situation as racially motivated. I view it as poor police work. That said, in the current climate, that is a terrible issue to have when responding to incidents in primarily black neighborhoods.
Except no cop SHOULD or MUST use life threatening measures as their first options. Shooting this guy in the back while he was walking in front of the car would be far worse than what they did. Trying to tackle a guy with a knife as a first response instead of trying to get them to comply by threatening lethal force would be foolish.

It may very well turn out that these cops were derelict in their duties. As yet, I've not seen enough evidence to convince me of that.

You are wrong that a cop needs to risk death in order to unarm a person without resorting to lethal force. A cop is not required to do so and shouldn't be. A cop is allowed to defend himself and others from harm just like you are.

Reactions: haw-key
I 100 percent do and I spelled out why in an earlier thread. I will do it again now.

If this guy was such a threat he needed to be subdued before going into the car then he should have been subdued before going into the car. There were multiple officers on scene - they should have physically subdued him even at risk to their own personal safety because that is part of the job. They did not. They failed. They lost control of the situation and now a city is on fire because they suck at their job.
Man you are like the Joe Biden of HROT. Every opinion you have is wrong.

They should have put their own lives at risk by trying to take down a man with a knife? Whatever bro. You know damn well there is zero chance you'd do that were you them.

Reactions: Qued18
Man you are like the Joe Biden of HROT. Every opinion you have is wrong.

They should have put their own lives at risk by trying to take down a man with a knife? Whatever bro. You know damn well there is zero chance you'd do that were you them.
Yes they should. That is the job. Why do you support the pussification of law enforcement?

So 4 cops couldn't handle 1 guy with a knife without resorting to deadly force? Your last point is an assumption. Neither you nor me knows exactly what he was reaching for.

But again, why did they let him go all the way around the car? I get that there was a degree of danger involved in the situation. But there are too many unknowns for me to say I'm okay with shooting him, like you seem to be.
Im ok with them shooting him. Just based on what I have seen in the videos and nothing else. If you add a knife into the story even more so.

He evaded arrest, did not comply to a lawful order to stop, reached into a car while cops had guns drawn. I know if I did that Id expect to be shot.

It sucks that his actions led to this outcome. It really does. I feel for his children that their dad had such awful judgment. Same with Rayshard Brooks.

You have completely lost your mind. This is even crazy for 2020 bizarro logic. Perhaps it’s time to sit this one out.
How old are you? I’m almost 50. Know tons of family members and others that were cops in the 60s, 70s and 80s. This notion that police should never be in harms way or face any risk is very, very new. Probably late 90s at the oldest.
So no, not insane and not bizzaro.
Call it nostalgic for a better time when so many cops weren’t afraid to put themselves on the line for public safety.

Yes they should. That is the job. Why do you support the pussification of law enforcement?
The public cannot expect that police put their own lives at risk when those officers lives are threatened by a criminal.

Now, if another citizen is being threatened, I agree. It is the officers duty to put their lives at risk to protect and serve the public as they say. You are inaccurately conflating the two scenarios.

How old are you? I’m almost 50. Know tons of family members and others that were cops in the 60s, 70s and 80s. This notion that police should never be in harms way or face any risk is very, very new. Probably late 90s at the oldest.
Call it nostalgic for a better time when so many cops weren’t afraid to put themselves on the line for public safety.
See my other reply. Your analysis lacks critical details.

HE WAS ARMED WITH A KNIFE! THEY ALREADY TASED HIM! Anyone of us would have died in this exact scenario.

You are wrong that a cop needs to risk death in order to unarm a person without resorting to lethal force. A cop is not required to do so and shouldn't be. A cop is allowed to defend himself and others from harm just like you are.

You're right that a cop does not "need" to risk death. But if you're a cop, isn't the possibility of violence you should have to accept everyday you're on the job. And yeah, had I been on the scene, i'd have gotten the heck out of dodge - I'm not a violent person.

You've brought up his criminal history multiple times - Question, did the cops know this at the time? If not, then that's totally irrelevant to this conversation.

My criticism of law enforcement is primarily based on the idea that it feels like they have the reputation (somewhat deserved) of resorting to potentially lethal force too early in these situations. I've seen nothing in this video that indicates that guy needed to be shot 7 times in order to be put down.

Reactions: torbee
The public cannot expect that police put their own lives at risk when those officers lives are threatened by a criminal.

Now, if another citizen is being threatened, I agree. It is the officers duty to put their lives at risk to protect and serve the public as they say. You are inaccurately conflating the two scenarios.
Suspected criminal. Under the United States Constitution, all suspects are innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. It is not within an officer’s role to determine guilt or innocence or deliver a sentence.

Don’t like the rules? Don’t play the game.

Just being there, they’re putting their lives at risk. No need for them to go recklessly into any situation you so you can feel a little nostalgia.

Im ok with them shooting him. Just based on what I have seen in the videos and nothing else. If you add a knife into the story even more so.

He evaded arrest, did not comply to a lawful order to stop, reached into a car while cops had guns drawn. I know if I did that Id expect to be shot.

It sucks that his actions led to this outcome. It really does. I feel for his children that their dad had such awful judgment. Same with Rayshard Brooks.

Why though? He wasn't approaching any of the cops head-on, there's no reason to think an attack was imminent - at least until he got to the car door and MAYBE was reaching for another weapon.

Your bar on the what constitutes acceptable circumstances for the use of force seems to be far lower than mine.

Maybe they were trying to NOT get to the point of shooting him? Like I said, you don't know what the hell that guy was reaching for in the car. You ask good questions, but those questions should also make you question what was potentially seen in the car considering they did all you pointed out. I can't believe you are able to come up with these questions regarding the restraint of the officers and can't see how blind you are to not question what it may have been in the car the guy was reaching for? We already know in his past the guy carried guns in his car. Isn't this something a logical person would wait to hear the report before condemning the actions of the officer?
Restrained? Seems like they were “restrained” right up to the point they shot him in the back.

No reason three cops can’t take one guy down.

Suspected criminal. Under the United States Constitution, all suspects are innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. It is not within an officer’s role to determine guilt or innocence or deliver a sentence.

Don’t like the rules? Don’t play the game.
Wow dude. In for a dime in for a dollar I guess.

Why though? He wasn't approaching any of the cops head-on, there's no reason to think an attack was imminent - at least until he got to the car door and MAYBE was reaching for another weapon.

Your bar on the what constitutes acceptable circumstances for the use of force seems to be far lower than mine.
Which is why he wasn’t shot until he opened the door and reached for something.

So we agree the cops failed to do their jobs adequately or professionally. Seems we are on the same page.
Oh come on man, now you're just being ridiculous. The cops aren't failing to do their jobs bc a pos perp refuses to comply and is unable to be subdued.

Which is why he wasn’t shot until he opened the door and reached for something.

I'm sorry, I can't justify shooting someone because they MIGHT be reaching for a gun. We've seen far too many instances where the cops were wrong in that scenario.

I wish I knew what was going thru this guy's head (aside from the electricity from the Taser).

You really don't have an issue with the cops shooting this guy? We'll just have to agree to disagree I guess.

I'm sorry, I can't justify shooting someone because they MIGHT be reaching for a gun. We've seen far too many instances where the cops were wrong in that scenario.

I wish I knew what was going thru this guy's head (aside from the electricity from the Taser).

You really don't have an issue with the cops shooting this guy? We'll just have to agree to disagree I guess.
Good fair post. But you’re right we will probably have to agree to disagree but that’s all good.

Reactions: sober_teacher
If that means innocent people go home to their families, go right ahead. Can’t imagine I’m alone on this one.
Has anyone in authority ever said why he was being arrested? Who called the police, and why? It has been said by relatives that two women were fighting. Also been said by them that he broke up that fight. When he drove up were the kids in the car? If there was a gun in the car, where was it.? If if was on the seat, as has been implied then he would be guilty of negligence as far as danger to the kids (can't remember the wording of the law on that).
so much has not been told. But why do police not get trained to shoot, not to kill, but to keep possible perps from doing something. If he were carrying a knife, getting shot in the arm or the foot would have prevented using it. Are police such bad shots that they can't do that? I will say, shooting someone in the back while getting into a car(front seat) does help keep anyone else from getting shot, even those kids, if they were ALL in the back seat. And, gee, maybe they can get him for not having the kids in seat belts or car seats.

Has anyone in authority ever said why he was being arrested? Who called the police, and why? It has been said by relatives that two women were fighting. Also been said by them that he broke up that fight. When he drove up were the kids in the car? If there was a gun in the car, where was it.? If if was on the seat, as has been implied then he would be guilty of negligence as far as danger to the kids (can't remember the wording of the law on that).
so much has not been told. But why do police not get trained to shoot, not to kill, but to keep possible perps from doing something. If he were carrying a knife, getting shot in the arm or the foot would have prevented using it. Are police such bad shots that they can't do that? I will say, shooting someone in the back while getting into a car(front seat) does help keep anyone else from getting shot, even those kids, if they were ALL in the back seat. And, gee, maybe they can get him for not having the kids in seat belts or car seats.

WTF? Police are trained to stop a threat. Not shoot to kill, not shoot to wound or scare. Police are trained to aim center mass. Not the arms or legs or even head like you’ve been conditioned to seeing your whole life in movies.

Are police such bad shots that they can’t hit someone in the arm? Yes, to answer your question frankly. There are very few individuals in the world that are that good of shots, under that immense pressure and adrenaline that could aim for an arm and hit it. Not only that, but generally taking out one arm won’t necessarily end the threat.

Reactions: Yetty
If Blake wasn’t holding a knife or reaching for a weapon, it’s not going to be justified. Even if he was holding a knife, the officer must articulate they or bystanders were in imminent grave danger. Unless more verified information comes out about a weapon, according to the use of force continuum/reasonableness, current police training and tactics—the shooting was unlawful and the cop is likely going to face charges. It is for the most part immaterial, that they wrestled with Blake 10 seconds prior to the shooting as are the nature of the warrants (fleeing felon rule may apply) for his arrest. According to the law, at the precise moment Blake was no longer a grave threat, deadly force cannot be lawfully applied.

People on this site will say it doesn’t matter, but Jacob Blake, the black man from Kenosha, has had his run ins with police before involving a gun as he threatened people at a bar. In this incident he also refused to comply with police despite cops pointing guns at him and he was armed with concealed guns and a box of ammunition in his car. The media doesn’t want to show any balance of their coverage because the agenda is all white cops want to kill black people. In the recent incident, he was involved in a physical confrontation with the cops, was allegedly tased, and despite guns being pointed at him, refused compliance and was going to his car. No word as to if he had guns in his car, but his history would indicate that it is highly possible and likely he did. It is ridiculous how society is reacting to an incident they had zero knowledge of.

https://racinecountyeye.com/police-k9-dozer-helps-subdue-man-who-pulled-gun-at-bar/
Biden and the Governor of WI are going to look really stupid. Already, the Oregon Governor is walking his stance back on protests. Poll numbers in that state are taking a dive for the Democrats.

People on this site will say it doesn’t matter, but Jacob Blake, the black man from Kenosha, has had his run ins with police before involving a gun as he threatened people at a bar. In this incident he also refused to comply with police despite cops pointing guns at him and he was armed with concealed guns and a box of ammunition in his car. The media doesn’t want to show any balance of their coverage because the agenda is all white cops want to kill black people. In the recent incident, he was involved in a physical confrontation with the cops, was allegedly tased, and despite guns being pointed at him, refused compliance and was going to his car. No word as to if he had guns in his car, but his history would indicate that it is highly possible and likely he did. It is ridiculous how society is reacting to an incident they had zero knowledge of.

https://racinecountyeye.com/police-k9-dozer-helps-subdue-man-who-pulled-gun-at-bar/

Oh well I guess just shoot him 7 times in the back then, Probably deserved it like how old people deserve to die of C19...MAGA!

Biden and the Governor of WI are going to look really stupid. Already, the Oregon Governor is walking his stance back on protests. Poll numbers in that state are taking a dive for the Democrats.
Some dive, lol.

UOoxEAN.png

From the link.

"UPDATE 8/26/2020: Please note, court officials told the Racine County Eye that Mr. Blake was not convicted of any of the charges listed in this story. The charges appear to have been dismissed upon Prosecutor’s Motion. The minutes reflect that on 02-20-2018 the prosecutor moved to dismiss the case “due to witness issues and age of the case.” The reason the case is not listed in court records is because of the dismissal they appear to have met the threshold for the cases to automatically be removed from the WCCA website. "

I blame the Jacob Blake shooting on the Prosecutor who failed to uphold their duties and dismissed very serious charges against a violent and unstable individual. He simply did the same thing again and got shot for his trouble.

WTF? Police are trained to stop a threat. Not shoot to kill, not shoot to wound or scare. Police are trained to aim center mass. Not the arms or legs or even head like you’ve been conditioned to seeing your whole life in movies.

Are police such bad shots that they can’t hit someone in the arm? Yes, to answer your question frankly. There are very few individuals in the world that are that good of shots, under that immense pressure and adrenaline that could aim for an arm and hit it. Not only that, but generally taking out one arm won’t necessarily end the threat.
Well, center mass sounds like shoot to kill.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT