ADVERTISEMENT

Jacob Warner

Geez, sounds like TNT actually do make plans for their program. I was beginning to believe those Brands boys where running a D1 program on whims and wishes

I’m a TNT koolaid drinker, but in the article they do say there was no plan B after Warner. So while it’s obviously awesome that they went all in and got him, you could make the argument that they weren’t completely planning for the future on the chance that they didn’t get Warner.

From the article:

Get him in a Hawkeye singlet now, some pleaded.

Brands stuck to the plan.

“He definitely needed the redshirt," Brands says. "I think there were a lot of people on the outside giving us advice."

I wonder who these outsiders were giving advice....

we all know HR would never try to give advice on whether a true freshman should redshirt or not. Right guys?.......right? =P

I’m a TNT koolaid drinker, but in the article they do say there was no plan B after Warner. So while it’s obviously awesome that they went all in and got him, you could make the argument that they weren’t completely planning for the future on the chance that they didn’t get Warner.

Sometimes failure isn't an option.

I think plan B was in the lineup last year.

Hyperbole. Learn it. Love it.

The decision to redshirt was fairly obvious after JWars terrible showing at Midlands, where he lost to Cash and then the Purdue kid ( Morissey I believe) stuck him. I think he finished in 6th losing to dudes that didn’t AA. He also looked like he lost it mentally in those losses. He hadn’t done much losing in his career before that and it appeared to humble him. The shirt obviously helped him and he looked fantastic making the Junior World Team. The weight cleared out a bit and I’m sure the Brands have him as tough mentally as he already is physically. Getting his tail kicked might be the best thing for him. He’s gonna be a NCAA champ before all is said and done.

Perhaps one of the bigger adjustments for guys like Warner is not being able to dominate a tough opponent after doing so for years at every level. One can start to question themselves mentally, wrestle more careful and conservative and go away from what got you there. It happens a lot to these guys and some never recover or learn how to win close matches because its an art they never really had to learn. I think Jakov has made that leap and will be a top 4 guy. As for winning it, I will have to see him on the grind this season but it's not out of the question as there is no Lee or Nolf at this weight.

Perhaps one of the bigger adjustments for guys like Warner is not being able to dominate a tough opponent after doing so for years at every level. One can start to question themselves mentally, wrestle more careful and conservative and go away from what got you there. It happens a lot to these guys and some never recover or learn how to win close matches because its an art they never really had to learn. I think Jakov has made that leap and will be a top 4 guy. As for winning it, I will have to see him on the grind this season but it's not out of the question as there is no Lee or Nolf at this weight.
Jakov could have been my Russian nickname when I was 14. :D

Happy Warnerov redshirted. Looking forward to his Freshman debut!

The decision to redshirt was fairly obvious after JWars terrible showing at Midlands, where he lost to Cash and then the Purdue kid ( Morissey I believe) stuck him. I think he finished in 6th losing to dudes that didn’t AA. He also looked like he lost it mentally in those losses. He hadn’t done much losing in his career before that and it appeared to humble him. The shirt obviously helped him and he looked fantastic making the Junior World Team. The weight cleared out a bit and I’m sure the Brands have him as tough mentally as he already is physically. Getting his tail kicked might be the best thing for him. He’s gonna be a NCAA champ before all is said and done.

He lost by fall to Wilcke in overtime in the semifinals, then turned around 20-30 minutes later and lost 10-6 to Brunner. He admits in the article that he wasn’t mature enough to handle the loss and wrestle back for 3rd.

Great read by Chad Leistikow, as usual.

One thing that's striking to me about Jacob is how much thicker he is now than a year ago. That physical maturation, along with his acquired mental toughness, not to mention new techniques learned by training with HWC studs for a year, will result in a MUCH tougher wrestler this November than last November. He was great when he first set foot on the U of I campus, but he'll be a different hombre after the RS year. Very wise use of a RS year.

Don't want to put excessively lofty expectations in him, but I'll actually be surprised if he isn't a multiple NCAA champ. (We know he's gunning for undefeated 4x national champ, so his expectations are clearly higher than mine -- as they should be. Good for him, and I hope he does it.)

He lost by fall to Wilcke in overtime in the semifinals, then turned around 20-30 minutes later and lost 10-6 to Brunner. He admits in the article that he wasn’t mature enough to handle the loss and wrestle back for 3rd.
He didn't do a fake medical forfeit like some of the them do after semis. That has to stop.

Wild guess...didn't actually read the article?

Reactions: pacnorthhawkeye
From the article:

Get him in a Hawkeye singlet now, some pleaded.

Brands stuck to the plan.

“He definitely needed the redshirt," Brands says. "I think there were a lot of people on the outside giving us advice."

I wonder who these outsiders were giving advice....

we all know HR would never try to give advice on whether a true freshman should redshirt or not. Right guys?.......right? =P

I tried giving him advice and he told me to stick to coaching basketball!!!

then i asked him why he needed a new wrestling facility (just to get under his skin).

;)

Reactions: natchrlman
If you ever miss a story or an interview (especially the recent Final X coverage & Gilman interviews), be sure to check out HawkCentral, which is here:

https://www.hawkcentral.com/wrestling/

In this current video interview, Tom states they had to work extremely hard to land Jacob. He said they had to jump through some hoops with his high school coach, too.

Last edited:
Reactions: depelland
Some interesting points:

* The two 2018 NCAA finalists at 197 were seniors.

* “He’s going to step in next year and a be a contender right away, no question,” Morningstar says. “… He beat all-Americans throughout his redshirt year. And he’s done nothing but get better since he’s been here."

* The best NCAA finish by a 197-pounder in Brands’ Iowa tenure is fourth.

* This column points out the importance of the Hawkeye Wrestling Club.

Now, he’s challenging veterans of the Hawkeye Wrestling Club. And they're feeling pain from their 19-year-old counterpart.

Sammy Brooks, a recent under-23 world team qualifier and two-time all-American for Iowa at 184 pounds, has been a great measuring stick for Warner. Brooks is still getting the better of Warner, Morningstar says, but the young freshman is "catching him."

Warner's also going toe to toe with Nathan Burak, a three-time all-American for Iowa at 197.

“If he’s getting beat, our best guys in the room are having to throw everything they have at him to beat him,” Morningstar says. “And even if they do beat him, they pay the price to beat him. And he moves forward.”

Last edited:
Some interesting points:

* The two 2018 NCAA finalists at 197 were seniors.

* “He’s going to step in next year and a be a contender right away, no question,” Morningstar says. “… He beat all-Americans throughout his redshirt year. And he’s done nothing but get better since he’s been here."

* The best NCAA finish by a 197-pounder in Brands’ Iowa tenure is fourth.

* This column points out the importance of the Hawkeye Wrestling Club.

Now, he’s challenging veterans of the Hawkeye Wrestling Club. And they're feeling pain from their 19-year-old counterpart.

Sammy Brooks, a recent under-23 world team qualifier and two-time all-American for Iowa at 184 pounds, has been a great measuring stick for Warner. Brooks is still getting the better of Warner, Morningstar says, but the young freshman is "catching him."

Warner's also going toe to toe with Nathan Burak, a three-time all-American for Iowa at 197.

“If he’s getting beat, our best guys in the room are having to throw everything they have at him to beat him,” Morningstar says. “And even if they do beat him, they pay the price to beat him. And he moves forward.”
I hope he explained avoidance of bo's spladdle

Isn't Warner's old coach at Illinois now? I wonder what Brands meant by jumping through hoops with him.

Last edited:
I believe Brands quote was something like "We jumped through a bunch of hoops with his highschool coach, which turns out wasn't necessary, but we put in the work anyway." or something to that effect. Which to me indicates they tried to build a good relationship with his HS coach and everybody involved so they could be sure to land Warner, but turns out Warner was an Iowa fan already at that point. At least that's how I interpreted it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT