ADVERTISEMENT

JB on PSU fans disrespect.

Interesting comment by Truzzcat on themat forums(Penn State called out by Burroughs thread)

"Living in central PA and having been at the trials I can attest that at least the people around me were not very informed compared to a normal wrestling fan. And there are a lot of people that cult follow psu sports that do not care about wrestling just that psu is good at it. I think that part of the fanbase sucks and unfortunately represents a large part of it."

Pretty much sums up the majority of that fanbase since Cael got there. 😜

Interesting comment by Truzzcat on themat forums(Penn State called out by Burroughs thread)

"Living in central PA and having been at the trials I can attest that at least the people around me were not very informed compared to a normal wrestling fan. And there are a lot of people that cult follow psu sports that do not care about wrestling just that psu is good at it. I think that part of the fanbase sucks and unfortunately represents a large part of it."

When B1Gs was in Ann Arbor a couple years ago, I was in a section with a bunch of Penn State fans. Many of them were older and friendly enough, but knew very little about wrestling.

Yes you have PSU fans that follow any PSU sport and are not well versed in wrestling. But to say people in PA are not informed and knowledgeable of wrestling is a dumb take. I realize you all are here trying to do the propaganda thing agaisnt PSU. But you’re attacking PA wrestling as a whole now. What PA kid or parents would want that?

Reactions: USPMAN
Yes you have PSU fans that follow any PSU sport and are not well versed in wrestling. But to say people in PA are not informed and knowledgeable of wrestling is a dumb take. I realize you all are here trying to do the propaganda thing agaisnt PSU. But you’re attacking PA wrestling as a whole now. What PA kid or parents would want that?
It was an interesting comment made by a person that lives in Pennsylvania. Nobody here is attacking PA wrestling as a whole.

Serious question here. If the wrestling community wants to grow the sport, how do you grow the sport without having a significant share of the fan base less knowledgeable about the sport than the average fan? It is good for the sport if the fans stick. The next question is, do the fans stick around after the team is less dominant?
There is zero doubt in my mind that the average Iowa fan is more knowledgeable about wrestling than the average PSU fan. In 10 years I'll bet that is not the case.
This is a true story from the Olympic Trials. I was talking to some friends in another section and I said that Nolf was up on another mat. I guy in the row behind asked who Nolf was. He literally did not know any wrestlers besides Haines, Mesenbrink, Starocci, Brooks, and Kerkvliet. So there is that. But we do want new fans. So we need to encourage and educate them if they're interested.

Serious question here. If the wrestling community wants to grow the sport, how do you grow the sport without having a significant share of the fan base less knowledgeable about the sport than the average fan? It is good for the sport if the fans stick. The next question is, do the fans stick around after the team is less dominant?
There is zero doubt in my mind that the average Iowa fan is more knowledgeable about wrestling than the average PSU fan. In 10 years I'll bet that is not the case.
This is a true story from the Olympic Trials. I was talking to some friends in another section and I said that Nolf was up on another mat. I guy in the row behind asked who Nolf was. He literally did not know any wrestlers besides Haines, Mesenbrink, Starocci, Brooks, and Kerkvliet. So there is that. But we do want new fans. So we need to encourage and educate them if they're interested.
In 10 years all the knowledge PSU fans will be dead. You’re fans average age is like 85.

Over the years here I have seen a few people complain at Penn State's dominance isn't good for fandom in a sport in general. And that we need new fans as you said this will mean that the new fans will tend to know less about the sport

Put another teams history in history of sport in general? In this modern world, just don't give a crap about the sports history, another teams, history, and this history might only go back just a few years. Just as you illustrated with how this fell only knew these guys, the news guys.

That knowledgeable fan base thing is similar to hey look at our attendance. How many consecutive home games has Nebraska's football team sold out? The only one who cares about that is the Nebraska faithful and the people selling the tickets.

It's more true these days than back in Al Davis's day when he said just win baby!

People couldn't agree on the correct answers to the knowledge questions. I don't think there would even be agreement on whether most puppies are cute. I think bridge fights are better. Usually a clear winner.
They should all be about Bo Nickal, nothing else . 😂😂

I can only imagine (without too much difficulty, mind you) @MSU158 pontificating as much on the wording of the question as any possibly correct answer.
In......your,,,,,head. Please give my apology to your wife, family and friends, since I am sure they feel you haven't been "available" due to your obvious obsession. If I knew this would be the result of being left in my wake, I would have tried to handle you with a much softer touch.

My sincere apologies. Make sure you go outside, hug some trees and help a few women get abortions. That should help you reset and get past this obsession!

Attend a PSU home matcha dn the following is GENERALLY true.. the closer to the mat you get-- the wealthier the fan and they tend to be much older. I do not know their wrestling knowledge but most of those fans are huge donors and that's their claim to fame. I get the biggest kick out of the older women who play games on their phones during some of the matches and we sat and watched an older lady do a word search one night until intermission and then she got up and left with all of her stuff.... Until her husband tapped her on the shoulder as she was walking away to tell her that the match wasn't over yet and it was just an intermission.

In......your,,,,,head. Please give my apology to your wife, family and friends, since I am sure they feel you haven't been "available" due to your obvious obsession. If I knew this would be the result of being left in my wake, I would have tried to handle you with a much softer touch.

My sincere apologies. Make sure you go outside, hug some trees and help a few women get abortions. That should help you reset and get past this obsession!
ron burgundy GIF

TORCHED

• Love
Reactions: WildTurk
Not a psu fan but was at ott. Manning should have ignored and just walked out. Instead he was like a 3rd grader whining with his fists to his eyes to the crowd walking out. It was the most immature thing I have ever see a coach do. Had nothing to do with JB just Manning drawing attention.
You miss the Mongolian coaches stripping down at the last Olympics?

Sorry, I tried to help you. Apparently, you are either unwilling or unable to accept it. I can at least let my conscience rest easy, knowing I tried. Please, at the very least, pass on my apologies to those close to you, like I asked earlier.

You're weird. Why bring abortions into it?

I tried to help you. Apparently, you are either unwilling or unable to accept it.

How about I ignored you?

A best friend always knows their solicited advice may not be followed their bestie. But you really think an anonymous message board poster might take unsolicited advice from another anonymous message board poster?

How about you remember this unsolicited advice:

you are welcome to disagree with me, dislike me and/or even ignore me

Everyone here already knows their options. So it was just another case of your diarrhea of the keyboard.

You're weird. Why bring abortions into it?

At one time (on this very wrestling board) he proposed a statewide anti-abortion referendum should be put on the Michigan ballot. Then Michigan put protection of women's reproductive rights on its ballot, and passed it. I had engaged him on the subject. He remembers. He is still licking his wounds. He projects when he says he is in my head.

• Haha
Reactions: MSU158
At one time (on this very wrestling board) he proposed a statewide anti-abortion referendum should be put on the Michigan ballot. Then Michigan put protection of women's reproductive rights on its ballot, and passed it. I had engaged him on the subject. He remembers. He is still licking his wounds. He projects when he says he is in my head.
It's disrespectful of you as a Penn State fan to come here and deflect the topic to abortion from the topic of disrespectful Penn state fans.

We don't want to lock this dandy of a thread..

How about I ignored you?

A best friend always knows their solicited advice may not be followed their bestie. But you really think an anonymous message board poster might take unsolicited advice from another anonymous message board poster?

How about you remember this unsolicited advice:

Everyone here already knows their options. So it was just another case of your diarrhea of the keyboard.
Ignored me? Go back and look at your last several posts. If “ignore” somehow means “obsess” in your bizarro world, then yes, you have absolutely ignored me…

I was at Bigs in Michigan and sat in psu section as well for the first session anyway. Couldn’t take it anymore and moved over to the open section above the Hawk section. The section I was in was definitely new to the sport. Nothing good to say about anybody other than their guys but had no idea why they were getting 4 back points. LOL. That being said I sat at a table full of psu fans for breakfast Saturday morning. Definitely a lot of knowledge about wrestling there. Talked a lot about Kem and Spencer.
As for PA wrestling let’s be real by far the best state for high school wrestling. Deepest and most dominant by far.

In 10 years all the knowledge PSU fans will be dead. You’re fans average age is like 85.
lol. I myself have joked about the average age of the PSU season ticket holder. Probably like this everywhere, but the waiting list is based on nittany lion club points, meaning how much money you’ve contributed lifetime to the athletic department.

“The people around me” to you equals the psu fanbase? That’s funny🤣🤣🤣

When B1Gs was in Ann Arbor a couple years ago, I was in a section with a bunch of Penn State fans. Many of them were older and friendly enough, but knew very little about wrestling.
So a bunch of uneducated psu fans drive all the way to Ann Arbor for a 2 day tournament yet don’t understand the sport? Pennsylvania the king of wrestling year in and year out, that’s just the facts….pretty sure the people of PA know the sport, but that’s a cool story bro🤣

Reactions: hlstone
JB was being a prima donna against MM. ("How dare you keep touching my legs after we've gone out of bounds. Don't you know who I am?") He was exhausted and expected MM to stop wrestling with 10 seconds left and just give him the win.

Manning was being the DB that he always is. No surprises there.

But the Penn State fan yelling "Your career is over!" wins the title of King of the DBs. He was wearing a NLWC t-shirt, not a Penn State t-shirt, so let's not pretend he was just a newbie generic PSU sports fan. He got carried away in the excitement of Nolf's win and went overboard. Way overboard. He's like a road-rage level DB. Sorry, Penn State, you own him. Keep rationalizing and deflecting all you want, but he's your spawn.

I'm happy for JB that he won last weekend.

So a bunch of uneducated psu fans drive all the way to Ann Arbor for a 2 day tournament yet don’t understand the sport? Pennsylvania the king of wrestling year in and year out, that’s just the facts….pretty sure the people of PA know the sport, but that’s a cool story bro🤣

No one is disputing that PA has outstanding talent. Best in the country. That plus great clubs and parent support. Yet your state tourney at the Giant center at just over 10,000 has a ton of open seats during the prelims and semis every year. I was kind of amazed when I started watching them on Flo. Even when the Olympic Trials were at PSU, the first freestyle session looked like Iowa vs Purdue on a Sunday morning and there were some great matches with a ton of PA/PSU connections.

I don't know how it is in PA but I remember when a kid made it to state from the town I lived in, half the high school kids would go watch them down in Des Moines. I have been to the past few state tourneys and that place is packed even when its just one class going. We've got knowledgeable fans on here that I know never wrestled a day in their life and don't have kids in the sport. One of them started https://www.wrestlestat.com/

Is all that a correlation to knowledgeable fans? I dunno. But I do think folks like a winner. Like most of our niche sports, the juice is in the college part of it and I think many might not understand that the Worlds and Olympics are the pinnacle for the wrestler but maybe not the fan.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT