ADVERTISEMENT

Jeopardy - Do you watch it? Are you good enough to get on the show?

Herkmeister

HR Legend
Gold Member
Dec 17, 2006
I love Jeopardy. I watch it almost every day. And I'm pretty damn good at it. (Other than literature, plays, and European history.)

Just curious if other HROTers watch and if any of you have ever tried to get on the show. Or do you know anyone who has been on the show?

I was thinking about trying to qualify but then I realized I'd choke on TV because I'd be afraid to blurt out answers that make me look stupid.

Reactions: BrianNole09
I watch it. My childhood tutor got on it. He didn't win.

I think I could get on it. I used to take the online tests, then quit. I think if I got the right categories, I could pwn some n00bs.

I rarely watch it. If I was a celebrity, I'd be okay on it. Don't think I would do the best on smart people jeopardy, though.

I watch it. My childhood tutor got on it. He didn't win.

I think I could get on it. I used to take the online tests, then quit. I think if I got the right categories, I could pwn some n00bs.

For sure the categories are the key.

Plus, I get kind of scared because on rare occasions I can't pull the answers out of my butt. I concerns me that I may be getting dementia. When it happens it lasts through the whole show. It has happened less than 10 times, but it's really strange and leaves little doubt something is going on.

Reactions: BrianNole09
For sure the categories are the key.

Plus, I get kind of scared because on rare occasions I can't pull the answers out of my butt. I concerns me that I may be getting dementia. When it happens it lasts through the whole show. It has happened less than 10 times, but it's really strange and leaves little doubt something is going on.

If I got on Jeopardy, I'd be aggressive as hell. I'd be clicking the button fast.

Go big or go home :)

I kill on that show when I'm half drunk and sitting on the couch. Pretty sure I would do good enough to earn a participation trophy if I was sober, baking under the hot lights, scared shitless knowing there were millions of people watching and feeling the pee run down my legs. ;)

Reactions: jellyfish10
I DVR the show.

I was on Quiz Bowl teams in high school.

It is my destiny that I triumph magnificently on that show and I'll never do that if I have to wear this stupid hoochie-mama looking dress that you bought me which was obviously a poor excuse to cover up the fact that you fvcked up again! I'm going to get on that motherfvcking show, and I'm going to win, because I'm filled with more useless goddamn information than any human being on this fvcking planet! Who's James K. Polk? How many moons are on Pluto? What's a quince? It's a food, Billy, that starts with the letter Q, and I got seven more! I can't believe you lost the goddamn money!

I kill on that show when I'm half drunk and sitting on the couch. Pretty sure I would do good enough to earn a participation trophy if I was sober, baking under the hot lights, scared shitless knowing there were millions of people watching and feeling the pee run down my legs. ;)

Wear whitey tighties, they eliminate the pee run down. :cool:

Reactions: shank hawk
images

I DVR the show.

I was on Quiz Bowl teams in high school.

It is my destiny that I triumph magnificently on that show and I'll never do that if I have to wear this stupid hoochie-mama looking dress that you bought me which was obviously a poor excuse to cover up the fact that you fvcked up again! I'm going to get on that motherfvcking show, and I'm going to win, because I'm filled with more useless goddamn information than any human being on this fvcking planet! Who's James K. Polk? How many moons are on Pluto? What's a quince? It's a food, Billy, that starts with the letter Q, and I got seven more! I can't believe you lost the goddamn money!

I feel your pain Strummingram. My friends mock my superfluous knowledge. And then they wonder why I can converse with anybody.

I watched it religiously when my daughter was in high school. She'd beat me almost every day.

When she was in grad school a USC, she took the quiz for the show made the cut but wasn't called. She and her husband both watch it regularly. Fortunately his ego is in check and understands that he won't often beat her.

Reactions: strummingram
I watched it religiously when my daughter was in high school. She'd beat me almost every day.

When she was in grad school a USC, she took the quiz for the show made the cut but wasn't called. She and her husband both watch it regularly. Fortunately his ego is in check and understands that he won't often beat her.
Good. So he only beats her when she needs it. :confused:

Reactions: 3 and Out on D
I love Jeopardy. I watch it almost every day. And I'm pretty damn good at it. (Other than literature, plays, and European history.)

Just curious if other HROTers watch and if any of you have ever tried to get on the show. Or do you know anyone who has been on the show?

I was thinking about trying to qualify but then I realized I'd choke on TV because I'd be afraid to blurt out answers that make me look stupid.
They came to town some years ago--10-15 maybe-- and I had to get into a long line just to get into a preliminary test. I passed even though I wasn't sure I had. Then a second test at another location in town. Guess I didn't pass that one.. I'm better at straight trivia, not the gimmicky things, like answers that have to conform to certain rules. Do others find the big question that ends the show is often easier than the prelims? Maybe it's supposed to be.

Reactions: Herkmeister
I only watch if I happen to stumble across it while channel surfing. I'm no Ken Jennings but I'd probably kick some ass for a week or two.

Depending on the day. Some days I can crush shows like Jeopardy. Other days, it hurts me head.

I watch it fairly regularly and my performance is strictly based on the categories offered.
Shakespeare and European art are admitted weaknesses along with chemistry.
Anything with history or government I own, along with sports and colleges.

Surprisingly I do very well on final Jeopardy.

One of the professors at our college was on and he one the first day and got beat the second. He is hands down the smartest guy I know. He has two doctorates, one in physics and one in literature. He competes in trivia contests regularly. I wouldn't do anywhere nearly as well.

Interestingly, he auditioned or test for jeopardy and millionaire. He was called to compete in both and had to chooses as he couldn't try both. Obviously chose trebek

I really enjoy Jeopardy but would not do well. There are times I could compete but there are categories I have no idea.
If I knew how I would post when Cliff Clevin from Cheers was on Jeopardy. Classic Cheers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tunadog
Good. So he only beats her when she needs it. :confused:
That's right. Actually he is a great SIL better in every way I can think of a tremendous provider, husband, and father. Unfortunately he is a Pittsburgh Penguin and New York Giants fan. He has season tickets the New York Islanders just to see the Penguins.

Met the parents of a guy from Mason city who was on it a few months ago. Dunn was his last name. Said one of the hardest things was getting the timing done on pushing the button. I think they had 3 or 4 auditions. i beleive he won 2 and lost on the third,

I watch it in the summer sometimes. Usually not home to do so. Sometimes I feel good and that I can compete, maybe not win. Other times, I feel like I would be destroyed.

As others said, depends on the category.

Met the parents of a guy from Mason city who was on it a few months ago. Dunn was his last name. Said one of the hardest things was getting the timing done on pushing the button. I think they had 3 or 4 auditions. i beleive he won 2 and lost on the third,

Auditions or actual episodes? If episodes, how much did he win? That's cool he got to do it.

I am quite good at trivia and feel like I could to well on the show once I got going. It seems like it might be a little difficult to settle into a rhythm.

I think I could get on the show, but how well I'd do is entirely dependent on the categories.

Not that I believe I'm Jeopardy champion smart, but my friends have always told me I should go on this cause I have a knack of remembering obscure stuff. I'll watch the show with friends, and they get annoyed when I know half the answers immediately.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT