ADVERTISEMENT

Jerry Kill Retiring

Curt Furence

HB MVP
Sep 30, 2014
I can post a link to twitter right now but Minnesota Football tweeted that Jerry Kill is retiring immediately due to health concerns and that Tracy Claeys was named the interim coach.

Wow. That's too bad. Good man. Good coach.

Yet another in a long line of gut punches for Minnesota.

I did not mind Jerry at all. They guy has fought through a bunch. I hope that is health issue is not life threatening.

He must have had another seizure.

Seemed like a good guy. Hopefully the break from coaching will help him get his health in order.

Just saw the news ticker on ESPN, hope Coach Kill is OK. He is one of the good guys. Teams played tough hard-nosed football and embraced the rivalry with Iowa.

I'm very glad to hear this. I have been seriously concerned about his health for the past few years. I figured it was just a matter of time until there was another Terry Hoeppner or Randy Walker story. Bottom line is that his career just wasn't one for someone with health concerns. I hope he goes on to have a happy, healthy retirement.

Does anyone think this could be related to the "off the field issues" the school was notified about recently? I am just wondering?? Wasn't there some emails sent to former AD Teague and the school just found out about them?

Regardless Kill was a great coach, i remember watching his teams at SIU and NIU and they both were very tough. No matter how bad of a season they were having (not too many) his teams competed and always would pull a major upset late in the season. Some of his teams at Southern Ill were down right nasty good.

It was just a matter of time there...too bad. It's very hard to win at Minnesota, and he found a way to do it. Very good coach.

No job is worth killing yourself over, though. He made the right decision.

Does anyone think this could be related to the "off the field issues" the school was notified about recently? I am just wondering?? Wasn't there some emails sent to former AD Teague and the school just found out about them?

Regardless Kill was a great coach, i remember watching his teams at SIU and NIU and they both were very tough. No matter how bad of a season they were having (not too many) his teams competed and always would pull a major upset late in the season. Some of his teams at Southern Ill were down right nasty good.

I thought of this too...hard to say until more details about that situation emerge.

Damn that is too bad, seemed like a really good guy and obviously a good coach. Best of luck to Jerry and his family on the next chapter of his life

This is devastating news to the cadre of Gopher Loyalists up here in Twin Cities. The typical MN Pro Sports crowd in MSP will show respect for 24 hours and then move back to the Vikings/Wild. I know a few Gopher diehards and they are crushed. Get better Jerry!

One of the most underrated coaches around. Obviously they hoped to be better this year but overall what a great job he's done taking over a tire fire and making them very competitive.

Reactions: IaHawk44
One of the most underrated coaches around. Obviously they hoped to be better this year but overall what a great job he's done taking over a tire fire and making them very competitive.

Yep. Not going to miss facing him and his teams in big games, but a very sad day when a coach like this has to leave the game. Props to Jerry and all he's accomplished at MN over the past years.

Reactions: BubsFinn
Thats sad. He seems like a good coach and a good person.

And I love that of all the potential coaches in the world Minnesota could have pursued, Jerry Kill is the one that looks most like a Gopher.

Best wishes to Coach Kill, seemed like a good guy and was a heck of a coach. As others have stated, it was scary seeing what he was going through the past couple years and hope him stepping away will allow him many more wonderful years with his loved ones.

Semi-related, this opens up yet another Power 5 head coaching job this off-season, my goodness there is going to be a lot of movement in the off-season. It will be interesting to see what direction Minny goes...perhaps promote one of Kill's long time assistants? It wouldn't be a splashy hire, but I suspect one of the assistants is ready, able and willing.

I thought Kill was a great coach and a good man. Hope his health is ok, but I think there is more to come about problems with the Gophers program.

Reactions: And1Hawk
Sad news but hopefully this will help give Coach Kill many more years with his family and loved ones.

On another note, I know our 2016 class is mostly full but are there any Minny recruits that might be worth checking in with now?

Sad news but hopefully this will help give Coach Kill many more years with his family and loved ones.

On another note, I know our 2016 class is mostly full but are there any Minny recruits that might be worth checking in with now?
Jerry had a fine class verbally committed; several 4-stars. Some will wait until a new coach is hired and can meet with him b4 deciding.

Lots of stress and anxiety on 17-18 year old minds and their parents. Some will open up their recruiting again immediately.

It will be interesting to see how Kirk handles any further offers. IMHO, 4 to 6 of Iowa's current commit list will have second thoughts and move on if they get their 'dream offer' from an in-state school. Young and the 2 DE's from Michigan seem prime candidates.

That's too bad. He seems like a good guy and is a good coach.
Tracy Claeys wasn't too bad filling in for him a couple years ago and I would imagine he has the inside track for job.

Sucks to hear the news - he seems like one of the good guys and he's a hell of a coach. I hope he's able to have a healthy retirement.

I always liked Coach Kill, even when he was at Northern Illinois. Sad day but I hope this allows him to live a healthier and longer life.

Jerry had a fine class verbally committed; several 4-stars. Some will wait until a new coach is hired and can meet with him b4 deciding.

Lots of stress and anxiety on 17-18 year old minds and their parents. Some will open up their recruiting again immediately.

It will be interesting to see how Kirk handles any further offers. IMHO, 4 to 6 of Iowa's current commit list will have second thoughts and move on if they get their 'dream offer' from an in-state school. Young and the 2 DE's from Michigan seem prime candidates.
Agreed. It makes me wonder why both KF and GD attended Stanley's game last Friday night. I would have liked to have seen KF showing Young some love and strengthening his commitment but maybe they don't feel that was necessary.

While not speaking in detail, Kill confirmed in a press conference that he has suffered a number of recent seizures, including two shortly before a practice this week as the Gophers prepare for a huge match-up Saturday with Michigan.

"I don't want to be a liability," he told reporters. "I don't want somebody to have to worry that I'll drop on the field. I don't want to coach from the press box. I want to coach the way I've coached for my whole life. And I still want to coach."

Kill says his wife, his children and hopefully future grandchildren will need him in the future more than football does. The decision is clearly a heart-wrenching one for the coach, who is struggling with the questions that are coming.

"I know somebody will ask, 'Coach, what are you going to do?' I don't know," Kill said, choking back tears. "I ain't done anything else. That's the scary part. ... Last night, when I walked off the practice field, I feel like a part of me died."

Even as he faced this announcement, Kill said he was wrestling with the decision.

"I was at practice yesterday after having two seizures. I probably wasn't supposed to go there," he said. "I made my decision but I said, 'Maybe not. Let me go out here and give it one last shot.'"

Ultimately, he felt he needed to listen to his doctor -- a person Kill admits he fought against for far too long -- and take care of his health so he can be there for his family. He also said he wanted to be fair to the team.

"I've never listened to a doctor. Ever," he said. "When I had cancer, I was cut open and I was out on the road recruiting in five days. But I'm going to listen this time. Cause that gal, my two kids, my brother and my mom ... need me more."

"I don't have any energy left. None. I've left it all right here in the great state of Minnesota and I have no regrets."

The coach spoke of not being able to think right due to the stress of his job and physical struggles. He told reporters that during a recent night his wife stayed up with him all night, as he managed just one hour of sleep -- a scenario that's become commonplace in their household.

"Probably the most sleep I've gotten over the last three weeks is three hours or less," he said. "She stays there, sits in a chair and watches me. That's what she did last night. Hell, that ain't no way to live. I've taken years off my life and hers. But we both say we'd do it again, wouldn't we? Damn right."

His doctor said if he continued down that road, it would do irreversible damage.

"If I can give anybody any advice: Count on your health, instead of your wealth," he said. "Count on God, instead of yourself. At the end of the day, if you don't have your health and you don't have God, you ain't gonna make it."

Kill is leaving college football with a career record of 156-102. His mark at Minnesota is 29-29.

The news of his retirement comes just over two months after Kill signed a contract extension that raised his salary to $2.5 million a year.

"I've never stole from anybody and I'm not going to steal now," Kill said. "I'm walking away from a lot of money."

http://www.kare11.com/story/sports/2015/10/28/gopher-football-coach-jerry-kill-retires/74729316/

Shame he has to go out like this, but it's better than the alternative. He's done great things at Minnesota. Best of wishes to Coach Kill.

Reactions: the24fan
While not speaking in detail, Kill confirmed in a press conference that he has suffered a number of recent seizures, including two shortly before a practice this week as the Gophers prepare for a huge match-up Saturday with Michigan.

"I don't want to be a liability," he told reporters. "I don't want somebody to have to worry that I'll drop on the field. I don't want to coach from the press box. I want to coach the way I've coached for my whole life. And I still want to coach."

Kill says his wife, his children and hopefully future grandchildren will need him in the future more than football does. The decision is clearly a heart-wrenching one for the coach, who is struggling with the questions that are coming.

"I know somebody will ask, 'Coach, what are you going to do?' I don't know," Kill said, choking back tears. "I ain't done anything else. That's the scary part. ... Last night, when I walked off the practice field, I feel like a part of me died."

Even as he faced this announcement, Kill said he was wrestling with the decision.

"I was at practice yesterday after having two seizures. I probably wasn't supposed to go there," he said. "I made my decision but I said, 'Maybe not. Let me go out here and give it one last shot.'"

Ultimately, he felt he needed to listen to his doctor -- a person Kill admits he fought against for far too long -- and take care of his health so he can be there for his family. He also said he wanted to be fair to the team.

"I've never listened to a doctor. Ever," he said. "When I had cancer, I was cut open and I was out on the road recruiting in five days. But I'm going to listen this time. Cause that gal, my two kids, my brother and my mom ... need me more."

"I don't have any energy left. None. I've left it all right here in the great state of Minnesota and I have no regrets."

The coach spoke of not being able to think right due to the stress of his job and physical struggles. He told reporters that during a recent night his wife stayed up with him all night, as he managed just one hour of sleep -- a scenario that's become commonplace in their household.

"Probably the most sleep I've gotten over the last three weeks is three hours or less," he said. "She stays there, sits in a chair and watches me. That's what she did last night. Hell, that ain't no way to live. I've taken years off my life and hers. But we both say we'd do it again, wouldn't we? Damn right."

His doctor said if he continued down that road, it would do irreversible damage.

"If I can give anybody any advice: Count on your health, instead of your wealth," he said. "Count on God, instead of yourself. At the end of the day, if you don't have your health and you don't have God, you ain't gonna make it."

Kill is leaving college football with a career record of 156-102. His mark at Minnesota is 29-29.

The news of his retirement comes just over two months after Kill signed a contract extension that raised his salary to $2.5 million a year.

"I've never stole from anybody and I'm not going to steal now," Kill said. "I'm walking away from a lot of money."

http://www.kare11.com/story/sports/2015/10/28/gopher-football-coach-jerry-kill-retires/74729316/
WOW, thanks for sharing these....very powerful

Reactions: OnceAhawk
There aren't a lot of great men out there, but Coach Jerry Kill was certainly one of them. I'm glad he got as long as he did with the sport. I'll always remember his example whenever I consider quitting something because the going gets rough.

Coach Kill is one of the good guys. I'm sorry to see him leave the game, but I'm sure that he's making the best decision for himself and his family. I hope that he can get his health issues under control. The gophers lost a good one. Hopefully they're smart enough to keep the staff as-is. It's one heck of a coaching staff.

I di

I disagree about young and the two DE's. Young has been nothing but a peer recruiter for Iowa and Lattimore is consistently been seen wearing iowa gear and is one of the major reasons we are on Alaric Jackson's top list.

Coach Kill was old school all the way. He gave everything he had and he expected nothing less of his players. Too bad it had to end this way. Good for him for knowing when to get out.

Reactions: nu2u
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT