ADVERTISEMENT

Jimi Hendrix

Kinnick.At.Night

HB Legend
Jun 27, 2018
How great was this guy? He could write, sing, produce, play bass, legendary guitar and some drums. He was an incendiary talent. I think my favorite side of him was his blues side. He was most pure there and that's what he ultimately strove to work at. Jimi Hendrix was the sonic bluesman. I love this video for how simple it is. An original song played on a 12 string guitar. It's beautiful.

I think of the ones who died young, his may have been the biggest loss to the world. It would have been amazing to see where he went sonically in the 70s. He died in 1970 right as the era of axe slingers was taking flight, in large part thanks to him.

Nice post. Nice to see he's not totally forgotten as you tend to not see his name come up as much anymore.

I had the pleasure of finally meeting Billy Cox in October and we chatted a bit about their old days in Nashville. 80 years old and still touring. The last surviving member of Jimi's bands.

If you ever get a chance to attend one of those Experience Hendrix tours, definitely hit it. Seeing Joe Satriani do 30 minutes of Hendrix material was mind blowing.

Eric Clapton is one of the greatest guitarists in history. A young Jimi upstaged him.

https://www.historyvshollywood.com/video/jimi-hendrix-upstages-eric-clapton/
It makes a nice story but Hendrix was actually 3 years older than Clapton and had been playing professionally behind people like Wilson Pickett, Sam Cooke and Little Richard. He was the more experienced (ha ha) guitarist despite Clapton's fame.

Later the Hendrix group was guesting on a show hosted by Lulu who they were supposed to play with on the last song. Instead Jimi said,
"We'd like to stop playing this rubbish," he said, "and dedicate a song to the Cream, regardless of what kind of group they may be in. We dedicate this to Eric Clapton, Ginger Baker and Jack Bruce." With that the band veered off into an instrumental version of "Sunshine of Your Love" by the recently disbanded Cream. "

http://www.openculture.com/2012/09/...oc_on_the_lulu_show_gets_banned_from_bbc.html

Reactions: Gonolz
5ac0c870-b59a-4330-b93a-a56df7cfc403_text.gif

Reactions: funksouljon
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT