ADVERTISEMENT

Joe Toussaint...Wow! Jon Rothstein (CBS Sports): "Buy Stock Now."

Toussaint is already one of my favorite players. He'll undoubtedly have some growing pains in Big Ten play but that kid is going to be really really good.

For many years now certain fans have been clamoring for a legit PG, not a SG masquerading as a PG. I don't mean that as a knock on those SGs either. But this is exactly what a certain sect of the fanbase has been waiting for. Joe T is the type of PG that can break a defense down and open up opportunities for others. Not to mention his on ball defense is another special component that other Iowa guards have not had. He can keep guys in front of him. Fredrick can do the same. It's good to have.

I know, what a garbage post. Talking about a guy transferring after 4 games because of PT. He played 15 minutes last night, and is looking at about 20 if he continues to improve. How many other True Freshman is that happening to?
I said after next year if CMac continues to get more time and chances than Joe T but I understand that reading comprehension is tough for you.I will not bash you for that though.

He's better than 3* in my opinion. Fran needs to play him so he can keep getting explosive players like him.

No way Joey is happy with these minutes or CJF. those two are our best defenders with Joe T. How Can Fredericks be happy playing six min 2 half go 2-2 wit a couple of assists and not play rest of half. Joe T was dealing and they put Conner back in at the 2 and keep Frderick and Joey on bench. Frederick clearly our best defender and JoBo gets blown by all game as did Conner.

Well we know Moss can relate to that. That's the stuff about Fran that drives me nuts with his random rotations and sub patterns.

As for Toussaint it's clear he's our best PG and Fran needs to start him Sunday before our trip to Vegas. It's not like Connor is a veteran 5th yr senior ahead of him who you are replacing in the starting lineup. Connor is a good capable back up PG in the Big 10 but he's not a 25-30 min a game starter. It was also refreshing to see for once we had the guy on the floor that the other team can't keep in front of him with Joe last night.

Last edited:
I said after next year if CMac continues to get more time and chances than Joe T but I understand that reading comprehension is tough for you.I will not bash you for that though.
To even bring it up at this point, is just STOOPID.

To even bring it up at this point, is just STOOPID.
Thank you for your input and policing an online forum where everybody says stuff that people disagree with. I will make sure to ask for your permission before my next post.

Well we know Moss can relate to that. That's the stuff about Fran that drives me nuts with his random rotations and sub patterns.

As for Toussaint it's clear he's our best PG and Fran needs to start him Sunday before our trip to Vegas. It's not like Connor is a veteran 5th yr senior ahead of him who you are replacing in the starting lineup. Connor is a good capable back up PG in the Big 10 but he's not a 25-30 min a game starter. It was also refreshing to see for once we had the guy on the floor that the other team can't keep in front of him with Joe last night.
Agree that while Connor is reliable, JoeT adds another level on both sides of the court. Fran appears to be giving him more responsibility as he can handle it. Barring foul trouble, JoeT should get more minutes vs Cal Poly. Vs TTech, he could prove himself a starter. But really expect him to take a little step back vs Tech’s D only to bounce back vs a team in his home state (Syracuse) and be a starter sooner or later before Christmas.

If that was true, Connor would have started before this season and Patrick would have been a starter too.

I recall a quote in Newspaper from then High School player Connor saying he was looking foward to playing PG and having JBO next to him as shooter. The McCaffery family plan all along was moving JBO to off guard to open up a position for Connor at PG. Maybe that is why CW, Moss and Dailey took off...writing was on the wall about coach's kid getting PT. Connor missing out his Freshman year delayed that plan. JoeT may end up blowing the plan up entirely, because his quickness makes Connor look really, really, slow. I would not be surprised if the loser in PT ends up being Fredrick. Connor is going to get his 20minutes per game one way or the other.

I could see Patrick getting minutes at the 4 this year, if he gets healthy, because the talent level at 4-spot looks terrible.

I don't care if we had 5 family members in starting lineup for Iowa if they were a good team...if this Iowa team ends up sub .500 in B1G, then the complaints about the Fran Plan will be justified. JoeT to me looks better than I expected, and yes, exactly what many Iowa fans have been screaming about for about 7-8 years.

Reactions: CarterHall
If this is a throwaway year then Fran needs to be fired immediately. We have two potential all conference players and plenty of talent.

So then given this roster full of talent, and your opinion that this is not a throwaway year, please tell me what your expectations are for Iowa basketball this season? Tell me what you think the record will be overall and in conference?

So your saying play five guys the whole time? Right.....:confused:

tenor.png

So then given this roster full of talent, and your opinion that this is not a throwaway year, please tell me what your expectations are for Iowa basketball this season? Tell me what you think the record will be overall and in conference?

Make the NCAA tournament. Unless there are extreme circumstances, no coach that has been here as long as fran (and missed the tournament a couple years in a row recently) deserves a throwaway year.

I recall a quote in Newspaper from then High School player Connor saying he was looking foward to playing PG and having JBO next to him as shooter. The McCaffery family plan all along was moving JBO to off guard to open up a position for Connor at PG. Maybe that is why CW, Moss and Dailey took off...writing was on the wall about coach's kid getting PT. Connor missing out his Freshman year delayed that plan. JoeT may end up blowing the plan up entirely, because his quickness makes Connor look really, really, slow. I would not be surprised if the loser in PT ends up being Fredrick. Connor is going to get his 20minutes per game one way or the other.

I could see Patrick getting minutes at the 4 this year, if he gets healthy, because the talent level at 4-spot looks terrible.

I don't care if we had 5 family members in starting lineup for Iowa if they were a good team...if this Iowa team ends up sub .500 in B1G, then the complaints about the Fran Plan will be justified. JoeT to me looks better than I expected, and yes, exactly what many Iowa fans have been screaming about for about 7-8 years.

who hurt you?

Reactions: iahawks10
Too bad he doesn’t have Cook to drive and dish for a monster dunk. I didn’t read all the posts, I’m sure it’s been said at some point. Pointless post, just saying it would be nice to have a guy like that to round the team out. Always missing one key element for the total package to be a contender in the BIG. I’m just relieved we have guy the can penetrate and he will just open things up.

Joe T
CJF
Joe W
Kreiner
Garza

Sit JBo the rest of the year. Don't play anyone else

You nailed the S5...But we have to have a bench, albeit a short one.

Connor would play a role off the bench, could play 1-2-3 and could be especially good at end of games for ball handling and FT's (12-15 minutes)
Nunge has shown some improvement, but it really a solid bench guy at moment (14-16 minutes)
Pemsl is limited but is crafty and brings energy (8-9 minutes)

Joe T makes everyone on the floor better. He also is a guy who isn't going to back down.

This. Excellent points. I think you could see the other Hawkeyes taking more pride in making sharp passes, hustling on defense, and playing with greater urgency and energy. That's what one Joe T is doing--as a true freshman--for this basketball team.

For Iowa to have a successful season this year, whether Bohannon plays or not, Joe T has to play 30-35 minutes per game. He has what no one can teach and what Iowa has been lacking for a long, long time. It's great to see the young man from the Bronx setting the standard in Iowa City.

If you watched Touissant play D last night, you saw a guy capable of staying in front of his man. He wasn't mugging or hand-checking, just moving his feet (quickly). He kept his chest square with his guy and cut off a number of drive attempts. This is what quickness at the guard spot does--thus we have problems against it offensively.

I get it. Touissant is going to make mistakes and at times play too fast, but that's basketball. Whether it's Touissant playing too fast and losing the handle or Connor getting stripped, it's still a turnover. Touissant is a threat on offense and Connor is not. Touissant can stay in front of guys and Connor struggles. How many times did Settles mention Touissant being the only guy on Iowa quick enough to stay with quick guards? I think Settles knows a little bit about hoops.

Touissant is a guy who can make plays outside of the offense for himself and others. This ability will mitigate the type of runs Iowa has been prone to when the offense stagnates or 3's don't fall. I have been critical of Fran's recruiting, but he got a good one here.

I agree. I want to see Touissant play more (and I’m sure he will as he gets more and more ingrained). What I have trouble with is this all or nothing mentality by some fans and that Connor is described as a non- D1 player and bordering on the anti-Christ.

Connor is a fine player. He brings some positives and not sure why he can’t coexist with Touissant. I know some on here have huge hard ons fir Fran and family like they have been kicking their dog and sleeping with their wife but come in. Connor is not even close to the biggest issue.

All this hate for McC and his family is disturbing. It really does sound like kids that are still pissed about their Little League coach playing his kids. Maybe some of the posters are mad because their kids got stiffed by their Little League coaches.

C McC was an ESPN 4* top 100 recruit. He's averaging 5 assists in only 24 minutes a game, shooting .923 from the line and has a 4/1 assist to turnover ratio. He's getting the ball into scoring position, not turning it over and capitalizing at the line.

I'm high as Colorado on Joey T, think he will win the job next year. Freshmen are unpredictable. We're four games into Joey's first year. Before we assassinate the coach and his family's character perhaps a little perspective and patience might be in order.

All this hate for McC and his family is disturbing. It really does sound like kids that are still pissed about their Little League coach playing his kids. Maybe some of the posters are mad because their kids got stiffed by their Little League coaches.

C McC was an ESPN 4* top 100 recruit. He's averaging 5 assists in only 24 minutes a game, shooting .923 from the line and has a 4/1 assist to turnover ratio. He's getting the ball into scoring position, not turning it over and capitalizing at the line.

I'm high as Colorado on Joey T, think he will win the job next year. Freshmen are unpredictable. We're four games into Joey's first year. Before we assassinate the coach and his family's character perhaps a little perspective and patience might be in order.

But why couldn’t Joe T start this year, if he continues to play well? Maybe alongside Connor?

But why couldn’t Joe T start this year, if he continues to play well? Maybe alongside Connor?

There's a finite amount of time. No one knows how Joey T is going to handle the pressure of big games. I think he'll handle it well but that remains speculation.

Also, need to keep CJF in the starting line up for the shooting and defense. Joey's three ball is not pretty, nor is CMcC's.

If Patrick isn't back I'm thinking we'll see a lot of the freshmen and CMcC on the court whenever Joey W is on the bench.

Hello people, this season is going to be a struggle. Stop worrying about putting training wheels on Joe T and play him. There’s too much upside to be dinking around.

Yep, Connor did fine and is a rotational player. In the second half, there was a stretch where they had Connor in at the 2/3 with Touissant at PG, so Fran is aware and was trying different combos.

Fran was utterly effusive in his praise of Touissant after the game. I’m sure you will see different line-ups and getting the team ready for tougher games and the Big Ten.

Connor definitely isn’t as quick or dynamic or exciting as Touissant, but like Touissant he did have some nice dishes as well and he gets the ball in the right spot. He had 7 Assist to 1 TO.

I really enjoy watching Frederick play. He just seems in control and doesn’t force anything. You get the sense he knows that when needed (like against DePaul) he can turn it on.
I get the sense against better competition he will turn it up but against lesser teams, he’s just going to take what comes to him. Plus, he plays really good defense.

Every time Garza shoots right now I think it has a chance to go in.

Nunge looked decent too, which is two games in a row.

Pemsl is what he is. I think there will be 2-3 games where he will be a huge spark and play heavy minutes but in general I think he is just a 10-15 minute a game player.

Right now, Evelyn looks like the 10th guy and is there for depth only. He is this year’s Dailey.

You forgot to mention Kriener. Apparently he's burning it up, and needs to start. Nunge had 11 points, 7 rebounds, 3 assists, but yea that's not relevant at all. Just start Kreiner. Very logical.

I would love to make a bet on Connor averaging 20 min. per game for the year...:rolleyes: No way IMO.

There's a finite amount of time. No one knows how Joey T is going to handle the pressure of big games. I think he'll handle it well but that remains speculation.

Also, need to keep CJF in the starting line up for the shooting and defense. Joey's three ball is not pretty, nor is CMcC's.

If Patrick isn't back I'm thinking we'll see a lot of the freshmen and CMcC on the court whenever Joey W is on the bench.

Without question CJF is the most complete guard we have. He passes, defends, scores. Dude through a half court alley oop perfect to Joey. They goes 2-2 and gets taken out. He is our best big man feeder watch how quick he passes the ball. Growing up a Hawk fan my whole life I was taught to pass the ball ahead not dribble up court because that is slower. CMc never passes the ball ahead to the wings especially Joey. I can not tell you how many times I have seen Joey wide open on the break ahead and CMc is taking 6-7 dribbles to get ball up. Makes zero basketball sense. Way way way too much dribbling and we saw against Depaul what all that dribbling gets you against a good team....TOs

Make the NCAA tournament. Unless there are extreme circumstances, no coach that has been here as long as fran (and missed the tournament a couple years in a row recently) deserves a throwaway year.

I think you’re going to be disappointed with the results. It will then be interesting to see how you proceed from there. I decided a few years ago Fran is not the right guy. He regularly embarrasses the university, can’t recruit, attempts to play uptempo with a downtempo roster, can’t figure out defense, etc. Anyway, we all figure things out at our own pace and I will see you sooner or later in my camp :)

Reactions: LGEND24
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT