ADVERTISEMENT

Joey Buckets has some work to do!

And I have no problem with the Zags. As you've said its kind of a cool story. My response was to the question if Gonzaga would have been this good in a major conference, thats all I'm stating to. IF they had been Historically n a major, then NO they would never have become what they are.
But do you really know that for a fact? It's impossible to tell. Duke didn't become a power until the 80s. UConn didn't become a power until the late 90s (granted UConn is kind of a weird one since their glory days were in the Big East when it was a legit power conference, but I still think the point stands).

Gonzaga doesn't play in a power league, but they also play above-average OOC competition which partially neutralizes the "they don't play in a great league" argument that they face every season. Does Gonzaga have the goods to compete in a power conference? Absolutely, but their problem is that they are located in eastern Washington state where there just aren't many D1 conferences period, let alone power conferences. The only conference that would be a definite upgrade to the WCC is the PAC, and since Gonzaga doesn't play football, they aren't going to get an invitation. The Mountain West might be slightly more lucrative, but the competition isn't appreciably better than the WCC. I don't think the Zags are interested in the Big East (they do fit the Catholic profile) as they'd be racking up some hefty travel costs, and there aren't a lot of viable travel partners either. Given their prestige and location, going independent sounds like a fine idea but probably not feasible money-wise (they're too big for "body bag" games and I don't know how many P5 teams would be up for home-and-homes). Basically they're a victim of their own success.

Reactions: littlez
But do you really know that for a fact? It's impossible to tell. Duke didn't become a power until the 80s. UConn didn't become a power until the late 90s (granted UConn is kind of a weird one since their glory days were in the Big East when it was a legit power conference, but I still think the point stands).

Gonzaga doesn't play in a power league, but they also play above-average OOC competition which partially neutralizes the "they don't play in a great league" argument that they face every season. Does Gonzaga have the goods to compete in a power conference? Absolutely, but their problem is that they are located in eastern Washington state where there just aren't many D1 conferences period, let alone power conferences. The only conference that would be a definite upgrade to the WCC is the PAC, and since Gonzaga doesn't play football, they aren't going to get an invitation. The Mountain West might be slightly more lucrative, but the competition isn't appreciably better than the WCC. I don't think the Zags are interested in the Big East (they do fit the Catholic profile) as they'd be racking up some hefty travel costs, and there aren't a lot of viable travel partners either. Given their prestige and location, going independent sounds like a fine idea but probably not feasible money-wise (they're too big for "body bag" games and I don't know how many P5 teams would be up for home-and-homes). Basically they're a victim of their own success.
Well said.

That makes zero sense.
So you think drake has a better shot at building a national championship team than we do?
Sorry, but I fail to see what Drake has to do with anything. Gonzaga would not have been winning 25 to 30 games a year in a major conference, they wouldn't be recruiting like they are or getting one and done transfers, and Few probably would not have Stayed at Gonzaga without being able to build what he has, BECAUSE he can win 25 to 30 games every year, on;y playing 4 or 5 really good teams.

Sorry, but I fail to see what Drake has to do with anything. Gonzaga would not have been winning 25 to 30 games a year in a major conference, they wouldn't be recruiting like they are or getting one and done transfers, and Few probably would not have Stayed at Gonzaga without being able to build what he has, BECAUSE he can win 25 to 30 games every year, on;y playing 4 or 5 really good teams.
Of course they wouldn't be winning 30 games annually. To think he can get good talent to come play a lower tier league but not a top tier league....c'mon now.

If it's so easy, how come every mid-major team doesn't do it?

If it's so easy, how come every mid-major team doesn't do it?
For Christs sake, I never said it was easy. Okay , so your saying that Gonzaga would have done all they have the last 15 years or so of they'd been in a power conference? Really. So playing a schedule full of tough conference games and getting your ASS beat on EVERY night in a conference where even the bad teams have several really talented players, means nothing? We'll just have to agree to disagree then, because I just don't see it.

For Christs sake, I never said it was easy. Okay , so your saying that Gonzaga would have done all they have the last 15 years or so of they'd been in a power conference? Really. So playing a schedule full of tough conference games and getting your ASS beat on EVERY night in a conference where even the bad teams have several really talented players, means nothing? We'll just have to agree to disagree then, because I just don't see it.
No one knows where the Zags' program would be had they been playing in a higher level conference the past 10 years, so there is no need to speculate about fantasy worlds. They are top-notch basketball program, plain and simple.

You just need to stop with the "easy schedule" fallacy. Last I checked their scheduled was ranked #15. Gonzaga has played 11 QUAD 1 games this year, more than every B1G team other than Mich & Minn (both 12) (Iowa has played 6), and with 8 QUAD 1 wins has more than any B1G team, with only 3 teams in the country having more (Iowa has 1). If anything, Iowa is the team benefiting from the easy schedule this year and getting more recognition than they deserve. The Zags could be undefeated with Iowa's schedule this year.

Reactions: Bee93 and littlez
No one knows where the Zags' program would be had they been playing in a higher level conference the past 10 years, so there is no need to speculate about fantasy worlds. They are top-notch basketball program, plain and simple.

You just need to stop with the "easy schedule" fallacy. Last I checked their scheduled was ranked #15. Gonzaga has played 11 QUAD 1 games this year, more than every B1G team other than Mich & Minn (both 12) (Iowa has played 6), and with 8 QUAD 1 wins has more than any B1G team, with only 3 teams in the country having more (Iowa has 1). If anything, Iowa is the team benefiting from the easy schedule this year and getting more recognition than they deserve. The Zags could be undefeated with Iowa's schedule this year.
I'll not post on this again as obviously you guys think Gonzaga just got to this place by magic or something, so I'm sure your correct. If you'd like to go back through the posts, my comments had absolutely NOTHING to do with THIS season. Maybe you'd like to go back through their schedule for the last twenty years, since my posts have totally been about how they got to be where they are now, recruiting on this level and bringing in lottery pick transfer picks almost every year. Believe me I think you'd find that they built to this point by winning a ton of games (which I think they'd have won less of in they played in the BIG as an example), over the last decade and a half, and putting themselves into the national spotlight. As I said winning begets winning and greater success. Believe what you want, though.....

I'll not post on this again as obviously you guys think Gonzaga just got to this place by magic or something, so I'm sure your correct. If you'd like to go back through the posts, my comments had absolutely NOTHING to do with THIS season. Maybe you'd like to go back through their schedule for the last twenty years, since my posts have totally been about how they got to be where they are now, recruiting on this level and bringing in lottery pick transfer picks almost every year. Believe me I think you'd find that they built to this point by winning a ton of games (which I think they'd have won less of in they played in the BIG as an example), over the last decade and a half, and putting themselves into the national spotlight. As I said winning begets winning and greater success. Believe what you want, though.....
What lottery transfer picks? They’ve obviously recruited very well, Suggs last year, top 5-10 recruit, Holmgren this year, top 5 for sure, but I don’t remember many top guys transferring there. I’m sure there’s probably been 1 or 2. I guess I don’t understand what you’re arguing about except that their record wouldn’t be as good if they played in a major conference. I think most people agree with that. And certainly winning begets winning, no different than Duke or Kansas or Kentucky. We were a 2 seed last year and they ran roughshod over us. They are a legitimate top 10 team for 10 -15 years now.

What lottery transfer picks? They’ve obviously recruited very well, Suggs last year, top 5-10 recruit, Holmgren this year, top 5 for sure, but I don’t remember many top guys transferring there. I’m sure there’s probably been 1 or 2. I guess I don’t understand what you’re arguing about except that their record wouldn’t be as good if they played in a major conference. I think most people agree with that. And certainly winning begets winning, no different than Duke or Kansas or Kentucky. We were a 2 seed last year and they ran roughshod over us. They are a legitimate top 10 team for 10 -15 years now.
Your acknowledging the ONLY point I've been trying to make the whole time. YES, their record would not be as good if they had played in a major conference, YES, exactly. A few games here and there, and your not consistently in the top ten, Your not getting guys like Suggs or Holmgren to drag their ass all the way up to bum F--- Washington. Its a ripple effect. You don't get some of those guys and all of a sudden your not able to consistently maintain that level of play year after year. Maybe Mark Few doesn't stay if he's not able to build on this annual success, then you have an entirely different scenario. It would only take a few more losses per season to change the direction of that program over a 10 year period.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT