ADVERTISEMENT

John Beilein out at Cleveland

Auger

HR All-American
Sep 14, 2007
Does not surprise me. The NBA is a players run league. I thought it was bizarre a coach like Beilein would even consider coaching in a league run by players who complain like children.

I've always had a ton of respect for Coach Beilein. He had a ton of respect for Iowa. He coached the game of basketball the way it should be coached. Got the most out of his talent and made sure every aspect of the game was taught.

Will be very interesting if he comes back to the college game. I have a feeling some big jobs will open up next month. You would have to think he will be #1 on a lot of programs wishlist. He's 67 though so maybe he just turns it in.

It was reported he was tired of the under the table recruiting in college basketball to take pro job. Not surprising, he is too much of a "team" guy for the NBA and the selfish players. If I were him I would call it a day at 67. Always seemed like a great person and coach to me.

Does not surprise me. The NBA is a players run league. I thought it was bizarre a coach like Beilein would even consider coaching in a league run by players who complain like children.

I've always had a ton of respect for Coach Beilein. He had a ton of respect for Iowa. He coached the game of basketball the way it should be coached. Got the most out of his talent and made sure every aspect of the game was taught.

Will be very interesting if he comes back to the college game. I have a feeling some big jobs will open up next month. You would have to think he will be #1 on a lot of programs wishlist. He's 67 though so maybe he just turns it in.

You mentioned "He had a ton of respect for Iowa".

Did he single out Iowa at some point? I thought he was just a nice guy vs all of the teams he competed against.

I would agree that he should just retire, but going out in this manner is extremely hard for a guy as successful as him. I'd not be surprised if he doesn't go back into coaching at the college level and maybe at a lower level. Remember Eldon Miller at Ohio St. He got a raw deal in my opinion then went to UNI and ended a great career there with some good success.

Going for an NBA gig at 67 is probably the only wise time to give it a try. You fail--which is inevitable in then NBA because the turnover for coaches in that league is ridiculous--then you retire and live out your days knowing you gave it a shot. I thought the NFL churned through coaches, but it's nothing compared to the NBA. The league also eats up and abuses fringe players just shuttling them to and from team to team, back and forth to and from the G League for very little money in the scheme of things. As much as college basketball gets scrutiny for being corrupt and unethical, the NBA is ten times worse. It markets dreams incredibly well, but delivers very few.

The league also eats up and abuses fringe players just shuttling them to and from team to team, back and forth to and from the G League for very little money in the scheme of things.
Lol. You serious?

For those guys it still beats a 9-5 job at $45k a year right out of college. Plus they’re still making a nice living doing what they love.

He was silly to try and change it to 'slugs', but why everything has to be racist nowadays....
Thugs, to me, is a clear reference to cheap, dirty, low-class, etc. It doesn't have to mean white, black, red, green, or any other trait, but evidently someone got offended somewhere and now there's another word we can't use.

That crap aside, I've always liked JB and respected his teams and his coaching.

He was silly to try and change it to 'slugs', but why everything has to be racist nowadays....
Thugs, to me, is a clear reference to cheap, dirty, low-class, etc. It doesn't have to mean white, black, red, green, or any other trait, but evidently someone got offended somewhere and now there's another word we can't use.

That crap aside, I've always liked JB and respected his teams and his coaching.
Well, to be fair, the title of that story should've been "John Beilein apologizes for telling the truth"..........

Telling his players they play like thugs probably didn’t help.

The only racist aspect to that statement is in the minds of some listeners. On its face, it's clearly a statement of fact calling out players who would rather fight and whine than learn to play the game right.

Belein is a class act and has nothing to apologize for. He never was going to fit in the NBA, and the people who hired him should have known that. He has way too much class and knows way too much about team basketball to let a bunch of players run the show.

I hope he does join the BTN broadcast team. That group could use the class and prestige of Coach B.

Time to retire with the nice "little" termination package he'll be getting.
He can still do occasional game or in studio commentary if he wants to stay connected to the game.
He's already accomplished plenty. If I were in that position it would be an easy decision to call it a career and enjoy life.

No offense to BTN, but he can get a gig at ESPN tomorrow. There he’d be able to talk about college and the NBA. And they’d pay better. When ESPN has their next purge, then he can go to BTN.
But he also seems like the kind of guy who’d be content with retirement and the occasional but rare on air gig.

Pitino, calipari, Tarkanian…

grass isn’t always greener in the Association.

Sometimes it is ... especially Celtic Green. :)

brad-stevens-celtics-3.jpg

From strictly a basketball perspective, I never grasped the move. College is a coach driven league. The NBA is a player driven league. In my opinion, going from about 3.5 million in the college game to about 4 million a year in the NBA would not be enough to make the switch. He had to know he could never win with the remains of the roster he inherited.

Lol. You serious?

For those guys it still beats a 9-5 job at $45k a year right out of college. Plus they’re still making a nice living doing what they love.

It's the fact that the NBA doesn't guarantee their contracts that makes me upset for the players, though. I mean, the G League annual salary is only $35,000 per year, but it's not even guaranteed. You see guys cut and resigned all the time and the NBA teams do it so that they don't have to pay full salary and benefits. It's a horrible scam and the players deserve better than that.

It's the fact that the NBA doesn't guarantee their contracts that makes me upset for the players, though. I mean, the G League annual salary is only $35,000 per year, but it's not even guaranteed. You see guys cut and resigned all the time and the NBA teams do it so that they don't have to pay full salary and benefits. It's a horrible scam and the players deserve better than that.

The G-league is an opportunity to play your way into the NBA and make millions. It wasn’t intended to be a career choice where you play for 15 years. The players know this, so don’t feel too bad for them. They can always go play in Europe or Asia and make better $$$.

Reactions: Eternal Return
The only racist aspect to that statement is in the minds of some listeners. On its face, it's clearly a statement of fact calling out players who would rather fight and whine than learn to play the game right.

Belein is a class act and has nothing to apologize for. He never was going to fit in the NBA, and the people who hired him should have known that. He has way too much class and knows way too much about team basketball to let a bunch of players run the show.

I hope he does join the BTN broadcast team. That group could use the class and prestige of Coach B.

Agree in who the racists here are. People that interpret everything in terms of race, like the meaning of a word, are the worst of all racists. They think they are on the correct side, yet they see everything in terms of race.

Playing basketball is not a right. These are big boys that know the playing field and what risks and benefits are involved. Nobody is forcing them to do a dang thing. If they don't like it, they have every right to go elsewhere.

The G-league is an opportunity to play your way into the NBA and make millions. It wasn’t intended to be a career choice where you play for 15 years. The players know this, so don’t feel too bad for them. They can always go play in Europe or Asia and make better $$$.

I really think you're underestimating the unpredictability and precariousness of the player's positions both in the G League and in Europe. Guys get cut and resigned in European leagues as well and only the top leagues pay well enough to make that worthwhile. Plus, guys get traded in Europe quite often and then have to renegotiate contracts or wind up getting cut and then resigned again. The cutting and resigning process is what puts the players in such a bad position in terms of financial stability.

That's why having guaranteed contracts are so important. yeah, the guys are in their 20s and are pursuing a professional career, but it is a cutthroat industry that overwhelmingly favors owners versus players. There aren't any other industries that I can think of where there is such a great disparity in power in relation to ownership/labor relations.

Playing basketball is not a right. These are big boys that know the playing field and what risks and benefits are involved. Nobody is forcing them to do a dang thing. If they don't like it, they have every right to go elsewhere.

No, but no career is a right. My point, which I made in my response to LaQuinta, is that the power imbalance between ownership and players is much worse in the professional basketball industry than in just about every other industry that exists. There is a degree of exploitation of players that is downright disturbing, really.

But the marketing of the NBA and European leagues are so masterful, from the leagues themselves and even more so through sports media (basically in cahoots with ownership) like ESPN and basically all others, that the players are not only in bad position in terms of being exploited by the ownership/labor imbalance, but through the psychological manipulation of children, teenagers, and college-age young men who don't have anywhere approaching the type of information necessary to defend themselves. It's almost a form of brainwashing kids to accept the worst conditions imaginable all while making them believe they are being given a "gift" by the leagues, the ownership, and sports media.

EDIT: The classic example of the psychological manipulation of these young players, especially while they are in high school and AAU programs (including college recruiting) is that so many of them are being convinced that they can leave school early without a degree and be able to pursue a lucrative pro career in the NBA or Europe. The facts derived from data prove that is not the case. It's especially bad for the players who leave early without a degree, but it's also not great for players who get their degree to pursue their pro basketball "dreams."

By the time they are thirty or late 20s and can no longer compete with the next young generation coming up willing to play for little money and no security, they are in terrible positions to transition to careers related to their fields of study from college, whether they have a degree or not. Once they transition, they are competing with their college-educated peers who are in their late 20s and early 30s who pursued their careers right out of college and have built up the type of experience in their youth that puts them in positions to make that much more money in their respective fields.

That's why it's not a great risk for a lot of guys who declare early and even a lot of guys who play too long in the G League or European leagues. They aren't getting good advice about how the world actually works and they are psychologically blinded by the marketing blitz of getting rich playing pro basketball that has become the foundation of their belief systems. If anything, a lot of these gusy go through existential crises as their basketball dreams and careers end. For some, they are able to parlay their experience into coaching or management or some other association within the professional basketball industry. For most, though, that's not the case. And there isn't any media coverage or very many academic studies about this phenomenon so very few, if any, people in positions to guide and mentor these young men are helping them develop realistic and pragmatic life goals.

I've never bought into the NBA and pro basketball propaganda, but most basketball fans and even lay people with no significant intertest in sports believe the narratives that are created and relentlessly promoted by the leagues, owners, and sports media. I hate seeing teenagers and young men exploited like this. That's the bottom line for me and why I say as often as possible: Do NOT declare early unless you are a surefire first round pick in the NBA. There are about 30 positions with guaranteed contracts that open every year for players coming out of college. There aren't any other industries anywhere that provide less financial stability and employment security than the NBA and overseas professional basketball leagues.

Last edited:
Reactions: hawkeyemark56
Ah, like many businesses try to do with employees.

Reactions: Eternal Return
From what I understand, the players were openly mocking him at the end. Doesn't make them thugs, but certainly speaks to the type of human beings they are.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT