ADVERTISEMENT

John Calipari

Dave Kaplan asked the question on Chi Tribune Live, if the panel believes that Ky cheat. Of course, all of them answered, "duh". However, one guy made the point that we are kidding ourselves to think Ky is the only one to cheat. Lots of schools do. Duke and UNC have been cheating for years. Ditto for Mich. It's naive to think boosters don't play a big role in why many of these big recruits end up where they do.

I'd prefer college basketball adopted the same rule for football and baseball. If high school kids want to go pro out of school, go for it, but if they want to go to college they need to go 3 years before they are eligible for the draft. The one and done is a joke, especially when we know they don't even need to attend class the 2nd semester and they are still eligible to play.

Yeah, but he's smart enough to realize you can't build a championship caliber team on 2* and 3* players. You can build a "nice" team that will average 12-14 losses a year and may make the tourney every now and then, but not a significant threat on the national scene.

It would be disgusting to be in the same room as him. This year's runner-up will be the eventual 2015 Nat Champs. They just won't know it til 2020 or so.

Originally posted by Letsgohawks411:
Yeah, but he's smart enough to realize you can't build a championship caliber team on 2* and 3* players. You can build a "nice" team that will average 12-14 losses a year and may make the tourney every now and then, but not a significant threat on the national scene.
lots of truth here. how many of us would turn a blind eye if our programs began to operate under this premise? I don't want to cast aspersions, but there are at least two coaches in our history that I suspect happily turned a blind eye to boosters and shady dealings with recruits.

You would have to be real stupid to be paying for 2 and 3 star recruits. Duh.

I think he's an excellent coach. He has a huge turnover every year, not only replaces those players but goes out and gets more studs.

This years team appears to be very unselfish,play very good defense,i think are in the top 25 in the nation in team assists. That can't be easy to mold that out of guys that are used to being high scoring super stars. His team get's everybody's best shot every game. Calipari has to deal with all those egos and keep them focused.

He knows how to "develop" players. Calipari and his fighting Uruk-Hai.

uruk-hai-birth-o.gif

Originally posted by PhantomFlyer:
Dave Kaplan asked the question on Chi Tribune Live, if the panel believes that Ky cheat. Of course, all of them answered, "duh". However, one guy made the point that we are kidding ourselves to think Ky is the only one to cheat. Lots of schools do. Duke and UNC have been cheating for years. Ditto for Mich. It's naive to think boosters don't play a big role in why many of these big recruits end up where they do.

I'd prefer college basketball adopted the same rule for football and baseball. If high school kids want to go pro out of school, go for it, but if they want to go to college they need to go 3 years before they are eligible for the draft. The one and done is a joke, especially when we know they don't even need to attend class the 2nd semester and they are still eligible to play.
If it is so well known that all of these schools are cheating, then why doesn't the NCAA come down on them? I mean, I know "WHY" (or at least I think I do - money and TV deals)... I personally think it would be a lot more fun to watch the game if cheaters were busted and lost their ability to make the tourney, lost scholarships, or even took a 4-year death penalty. If the conferences and TV deals don't want to potentially face that, tough luck, this is supposed to be about student athletes.

Originally posted by rillo 62:
I think he's an excellent coach. He has a huge turnover every year, not only replaces those players but goes out and gets more studs.

This years team appears to be very unselfish,play very good defense,i think are in the top 25 in the nation in team assists. That can't be easy to mold that out of guys that are used to being high scoring super stars. His team get's everybody's best shot every game. Calipari has to deal with all those egos and keep them focused.
Which the $5,000 under the table every month probably helps.

A lot of these same guys are the ones who also work the officials--and it seems to work all too often. Don't know if guys like Self or Izzo cheat. Maybe not, they're probably just damn good. But they, Roy Boy, K, Calipari and all of those guys intimidate the officials, talk to them not only during dead balls but DURING the games. They're simply trying to set up and influence the next 5-6 calls, and it usually works. Fran opens his mouth and gets T'd up. Fred never opens his mouth and essentially gets penalized for it -- like when early in the second half against Okey the fouls were like 9 to 1 or when, against Kansas, ISU never shot a free throw until well into second half. Fred never said a damn thing--wish like hell he would sometimes.

And don't tell me that innocent 'ol RoyBoy at UNC didn't know those "student-athletes" weren't going to legitimate classes for years. Yeah, right. And I've got some real Rolex watches to sell you for $39.

I absolutely do believe he is one of the best coaches in the business. That being said, I have absolutely no respect for him or for Kentucky basketball. I get that college athletics is a business. Understood. I don't, however, think you should basically be able to run an NBA-farm club from a college campus.

It's a sad reflection of a society that teaches us to "do whatever it takes to win" ... and if that means bringing in 5-6 new 1-and-doners every year ... then so be it. We just want to win ...

The NBA and colleges need to adjust this 1 and done joke of a rule. If you don't want to go to college and are only going with the goal of playing in the NBA (and have absolutely no interest or intent in getting a degree), then fine ... But let these kids instead play in the NBA D-League ... College programs like Kentucky should not be allowed to operate as an NBA D-League franchise.

Both the college and NBA games have suffered ever since they started allowing these kids to jump so soon. The college game is nothing like it was in the early 90s ... And the NBA game is (in my opinion) horrible to watch.

Sounding old by saying this, but back in the day you could really get into the college game ... You had teams like Duke and Christian Laetner ... teams you could love to hate ... You had rivalries ... Now, you have too many 1 and doners who simply pass through a college campus for one season until they get to the NBA ...

Hey, if you have talent to play in the NBA and make millions ... all the power to you ... I am just saying the colleges should not be the feeding system for the individuals who have NO intention of graduating, etc. Let them hit the NBA D-League ...

Ideally, I would at least like the NBA to say kids need to be 2 years removed from high school before they are eligible for the NBA ...

It's not a John Calipari problem, it's an NCAA and NBA problem. He is just operating with the rule book that they have set with regards to one and done players. And if you think Kentucky is the only team giving extra benefits you have your head in the sand. There are 20 plus teams doing it.

Originally posted by Pepperman:

If it is so well known that all of these schools are cheating, then why doesn't the NCAA come down on them? I mean, I know "WHY" (or at least I think I do - money and TV deals)... I personally think it would be a lot more fun to watch the game if cheaters were busted and lost their ability to make the tourney, lost scholarships, or even took a 4-year death penalty. If the conferences and TV deals don't want to potentially face that, tough luck, this is supposed to be about student athletes.
" If the conferences and TV deals don't want to potentially face that,
tough luck, this is supposed to be about student athletes."

The NCAA and conferences pay lip service to the "student athlete" talk, like politicians pay lip service to honesty and transparency. It's still just lip service. It's all about the $$$$. It's become even more so with the talk about paying players. Either they should eliminate the 1 and done (go to the football/baseball rule) or end the facade and make them club teams. Let them get paid, don't require they have to be students, etc. Basically make them semi-pro teams.

Originally posted by DesMoinesHawki:
I absolutely do believe he is one of the best coaches in the business. That being said, I have absolutely no respect for him or for Kentucky basketball. I get that college athletics is a business. Understood. I don't, however, think you should basically be able to run an NBA-farm club from a college campus.

It's a sad reflection of a society that teaches us to "do whatever it takes to win" ... and if that means bringing in 5-6 new 1-and-doners every year ... then so be it. We just want to win ...

The NBA and colleges need to adjust this 1 and done joke of a rule. If you don't want to go to college and are only going with the goal of playing in the NBA (and have absolutely no interest or intent in getting a degree), then fine ... But let these kids instead play in the NBA D-League ... College programs like Kentucky should not be allowed to operate as an NBA D-League franchise.

Both the college and NBA games have suffered ever since they started allowing these kids to jump so soon. The college game is nothing like it was in the early 90s ... And the NBA game is (in my opinion) horrible to watch.

Sounding old by saying this, but back in the day you could really get into the college game ... You had teams like Duke and Christian Laetner ... teams you could love to hate ... You had rivalries ... Now, you have too many 1 and doners who simply pass through a college campus for one season until they get to the NBA ...

Hey, if you have talent to play in the NBA and make millions ... all the power to you ... I am just saying the colleges should not be the feeding system for the individuals who have NO intention of graduating, etc. Let them hit the NBA D-League ...

Ideally, I would at least like the NBA to say kids need to be 2 years removed from high school before they are eligible for the NBA ...

How has the NBA suffered because of the rule? I'm not going to argue any other part of your post, but to say the NBA game has suffered is not at all accurate.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Re: John Calipari (long)

Here's what I don't like about Cal:
-sanctions have followed him everywhere he's been. He can claim he had no idea about stuff previously, but it's hard to believe he would be unaware of all that stuff, whether Memphis, UMass, whatever.

Here's what I like about Cal:
+gets McDonald's All-Americans to play in a team concept. He is very underrated for getting guys who have been pampered their entire lives in a gym to play for "we" instead of "me". They sacrifice numbers. All of them. That's impressive to get the buy-in needed for that.
+gets them to play extremely hard. At times early last season, Randle didn't play hard, but over his career, Cal's teams have played very hard and gotten after you. A lot of good coaches can't get their kids to always play hard.
+tough on them and doesn't show favoritism. I know a lot of people bash his "I will recruit over you next year" attitude. But life is tough and competition is difficult in life. He is upfront about this before offering a scholly.

If I could make NCAA rules, I would force kids to spend at least 2 years at a school. But there is no 2-year rule and Calipari is doing nothing he is not allowed to do in building a program with mostly "one and dones". Many coaches talk about "student-athletes" knowing full well a guy is leaving after a year or not going to class anymore. Cal doesn't fake it. Agree or not, it's refreshing to me that he doesn't "wink wink" anybody and tells it for what it really is.

I've used this before, but if somebody told me I could have my dream job at age 19 right now and that I didn't have to go to college anymore, I would've jumped on it in a second. If you know the profession you want and you have the opportunity to do it immediately with no further training, I can understand why kids take the opportunity. If an 18-year old surgeon is the best in the world and Johns Hopkins wants him ASAP, I have no problem with his leaving. Ridiculous example, I know, but you could take an engineer, lawyer, etc. etc. If they are good enough to be hired right now and the demand is there, I don't have a problem with that.

Besides, Dallas Clark and quite a few other Hawks have left early to pursue their dream. I don't fault them.

1. He is one of the best college coaches/recruiters in the nation. Period. Deal with it. Doesn't matter if you don't like him, it's not JC that is the problem, it's a NCAA and college basketball/AAU cesspool problem.

2. I think the guy is hilarious. Love his arrogance/confidence.

3. I swear some of you want Iowa basketball to be about duckies/bunnies and rainbows. JC wins, and wins at a high level. Some of you are just jealous. I enjoy watching KY play, love to see that talent.

There is a simple rule tweak that could help fix some of the 1 and done. Make it so that they must be academically eligible at the end of the 2nd semester, otherwise the school will lose a scholarship for the next year.

So lets say Towns from Kentucky declares for the draft, stops going to school and fails to qualify academically at the end of the 2nd semester. Kentucky in this case would lose a scholarship for 2015-2016 school year.

This wont happen because schools would scream bloody murder about being unfairly punished. Programs like Kentucky there is no such thing as a student-athlete.

BTW I got curious and tried looking up Kentucky's Academic All-Americans. Last player was from 1995, Mark Pope. Then I tried looking up Academic All SEC. They haven't had one since 2012, where they had 4. The next set(of 3) is from 2009. It seems to be a pattern with Calipari.. every 3 years he has 2-4 players get Academic All SEC. In general its also composed of either 4 year players or players that were transferring.

Originally posted by jerbob36:

If I could make NCAA rules, I would force kids to spend at least 2 years at a school.
I've seen this posted enough that I think I need to interject. I can't tell if it is simply a misstatement, or something deeper.

The NCAA is not and can not "force" anyone to do anything. They can't stop people from going to the NBA, Europe, China, wherever. This is squarely on the NBA, they aren't allowing players to join their organization without that one-year-removed restriction.

What would even be the enforcement of something like this? Way, way more students leave schools for NON-NBA reasons.

I do like the general idea of this:
"Make it so that they must be academically eligible at the
end of the 2nd semester, otherwise the school will lose a scholarship
for the next year. "

That seems to be a big issue, that, for example, a Derrick Rose could attend Memphis, requiring him to be academically eligible for the second semester....but have absolutely no rule requiring him to attend beyond that point.

Maybe my understanding is confused, if so please correct me. In fact, if D-Rose jumps to the NBA prior to graduating, he does NOT count against his school's graduation rate...is that correct? So, even if he fails every class, his leaving early does not count against the school.

I think this is far more important for Football than basketball (sheer #s), but we need to get College back to, you know, college. It really is sad that great academic schools such as UNC have been ignoring academics for so long.

So, following along, I think the above rule makes sense. If a player fails his classes and becomes ineligible, he isn't simply removed from the team/school (usually), but is placed on some sort of probation, a probation that does not allow him to play. It would follow that a player who then leaves should not be simply replaced by another.

That could, in theory lead to a revolving door of players failing, placed on probation, leaving, and replaced by another player.

Make each scholarship "spot" (instead of named player) count. If "spot 3" is ineligible, placing a new player in to spot 3 would still be ineligible. Is that "fair" for a school? Of course, it is their duty to educate these students.

Is it "fair" to the fans? I don't care, the "fans" already think collegiate sports are for them (see football board)....it isn't.

Originally posted by jerbob36:
Here's what I don't like about Cal:
-sanctions have followed him everywhere he's been. He can claim he had no idea about stuff previously, but it's hard to believe he would be unaware of all that stuff, whether Memphis, UMass, whatever.
he's the Lou Holtz of basketball!

Originally posted by ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK:
It would be disgusting to be in the same room as him. This year's runner-up will be the eventual 2015 Nat Champs. They just won't know it til 2020 or so.
the championship would be vacated; the runner up would not be declared 2015 National Champion

same thing happened in 1997; MN won the B1G title, Iowa came in 2nd; in 2000, the academic fraud scandal broke where MN eventually vacated their B1G title and their Final 4 appearance; Iowa was never declared 1997 B1G champions

don't forget about "handlers" and fathers who "direct" the athlete in a particular direction as long as they get something in return

its crazy and sad to see N Carolina in the tourney when its clear academic fraud there goes back 20 years!

and I would love to see the percentage of players who have graduated at Kentucky since Cal has been there; with all the one and done's he has had, the percentage has to be alarmingly low; so much for "student" in student athlete

Kentucky has always had a very flexible approach to recruiting and academic eligibility. Every big program has professors that give the varsity athletes pretty "liberal" curve, maybe look the other way on attendance, etc.... Kentucky is on an entirely different level. I would never name names but I can speak with some authority that Kentucky and also USC had some scams in the late 70s to early 90s that were hilarious. Unlike Iowa, for example, UK faculty and university administration has a platinum relationship with the athletic department.

If the universities are serious about requiring some minimum level of academic and recruiting integrity they have to lobby the pro leagues and the congress to grant wider antitrust exemptions so that kids cannot start professional careers until they are two or better three years out of HS or 21 years old.

This should also be applied to the non revenue sports like golf, tennis etc.... All of that will be a tough sell because it runs against individual liberty and property rights. As long as you can be one and done the UKs of the world will get kids on campus, cheat like crazy to keep them eligible for a semester and then drop out after basketball ends the next semester.

Kentucky's John Calipari, Virginia's Tony Bennett, Wisconsin's Bo Ryan, and Villanova's Jay Wright are the four finalists for the Naismith College Coach of the Year award.

The award is given out to the best coach of the year, as voted on by the Atlanta Tip-Off Club's national voting academy.

Calipari is considered the favorite to win the award after leading Kentucky to a 34-0 record this season prior to the NCAA Tournament. This would be the third time he has been bestowed the honor following his wins in 1996 and 2008.

Bennett has also previously won the award in 2007, back when he was the coach at Washington State. Wright won the award in 2006 for his work with Villanova's team. Ryan has twice been a finalist for the award, back in 2005 and 2007.

The award will be handed out on March 5 (obviously a typo; must be April 5?) at the Naismith Awards Brunch in Indianapolis.

This post was edited on 3/17 6:42 PM by OnceAhawk

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT