ADVERTISEMENT

John Deere Classic 2024

QChawks

HR King
Feb 11, 2013
Quad Cities
not much star power, but if you like low scores and no-names then the JDC is for you

an747iU.jpg

Reactions: Chishawk1425
not much star power, but if you like low scores and no-names then the JDC is for you

an747iU.jpg
This is one of the worst fields I have ever seen. I swear the Tour does everything they can to bend over the JDC year after year. Incredible the tournament keeps plugging along

Always a few young rising pro's at the jdc like the guy Clark played with on the front 9 before playing with Zach I think it was Ludvig Aberg

Sure, it doesn't seem like much of a field now. Plenty of more famous players now have played and won years before they were more well known. The JDC is a great opportunity for guys to pick up their first career tournament win.

Sure, it doesn't seem like much of a field now. Plenty of more famous players now have played and won years before they were more well known. The JDC is a great opportunity for guys to pick up their first career tournament win.
There have been plenty of years where there has been a few bigger names out there. The Olympics screwed us out of getting Spieth again. Quite a few of those first time winners didn’t do much after. Easy Ed Fiori ruined the JDC getting Tiger’s first win.

I don’t know. I don’t follow golf (other than a major here and there) but I’ve been to the JDC a few times and had a blast. And got to watch some guys that I just thought we no-names that I now see in big tournaments. DeChambaueia (ha!), Kim, Speith come to mind and maybe some other guys (who is the guy they compare to a linebacker playing golf?) come to mind that I saw. I didn’t care at all, but they must have been on the right trajectory.

I figure golf nuts would flock to this to see a masters champ in the making. It’s a fun event (with beer).

Reactions: torbee
The concerts really pushed ticket sales. Smart move by Deere.

I will be wondering the course on Sunday. Not a big golf fan but it’s fun watching their medium short games and how easy they make it look.

Really liking this Peter Kuest story. Plenty of up and comers, Jordan Spieth obviously a big example for this event, play their way on tour without ever qualifying for it. However they get opportunities presented to them through sponsor exemptions. This dude parlayed a Monday qualifier, in which he may not have even advanced had a competitor not called a penalty on himself for slipping an extra club in during the round break, and now he's into certain Tour status by finishing 76 or better. And since on cut day he's in 3rd place I'm guessing that's gonna happen.

Reactions: Old_wrestling_fan
While they aren't the stars of the tour, it's still incredible to see how good these guys are. I say it every year, and it will never happen, but if the PGA wants to grow the game they'd require their players to play in every tournament every 5 years or so. That way you'd always have 3 or 4 stars at every event throughout the year.

I know the timing of the tournament has always been blamed for the weak fields, but it’s an easy course (for these guys) that doesn’t prepare them for the next major, and the purse sucks. There’s zero incentive for the top players to participate.

I know the timing of the tournament has always been blamed for the weak fields, but it’s an easy course (for these guys) that doesn’t prepare them for the next major, and the purse sucks. There’s zero incentive for the top players to participate.
They want to win money. If it wasn’t right before the Open more guys would play it. There were bigger names in it in the fall. Generally.

This Par 5 is the site of my one-and-only eagle at TPC Deere Run. I'd hit a nice drive to around 200 yards short of the green (playing from whites, not blues, though). I hit an actually too good approach shot with my hybrid that flew about 215 yards and hit that red barn in the background right on the stone base. The ball then bounced back onto the green, about 12 feet from the hole and I sank the putt for a 3. Just how I drew it up! :)

This Par 5 is the site of my one-and-only eagle at TPC Deere Run. I'd hit a nice drive to around 200 yards short of the green (playing from whites, not blues, though). I hit an actually too good approach shot with my hybrid that flew about 215 yards and hit that red barn in the background right on the stone base. The ball then bounced back onto the green, about 12 feet from the hole and I sank the putt for a 3. Just how I drew it up! :)
Those golf course architects are an ingenious lot, aren’t they? Nice 3!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT