ADVERTISEMENT

Johnson County GOP chair alleges she was assaulted at drag storytime

Obviously the odd part is the "DRAG QUEEN" part in the story hour. That's point. Drag queens are the point. They want you to show up an notice the drag queen -- otherwise it would be any other story hour. This is obvious.

I'm sure it started off as some way to expose kids to "gender diverse" people... and gender diverse stories. But unfortunately there was some twerking, sexualization -- at some of these events -- and confusion over what exactly a drag queen was.

The curious thing to me is that drag queens caught on, of all things, for the purpose of exposing kids such. Why pick something in which is often sexualized?
It adds an element of interest to the reading like having a bunch of Disney princesses do a reading or a local celebrity doing a reading. This should be non controversial. Not sure why some of you have to make it so.

It adds an element of interest to the reading like having a bunch of Disney princesses do a reading or a local celebrity doing a reading. This should be non controversial. Not sure why some of you have to make it so.
It would be non controversial if they didn't pick a character that is often overtly sexual. (add to that, if we didn't have a bunch of videos of them dancing about sexily, scantly clad, amongst kids)

That's the weird part. Beyond that, sure, a certain minority of conservatives would be bitching if it were just regular ole gay folks or whatnot. (but then, I don't think the lefties would be showing up much either) I think the culture wars made this one.

It would be non controversial if they didn't pick a character that is often overtly sexual. (add to that, if we didn't have a bunch of videos of them dancing about sexily, scantly clad, amongst kids)

That's the weird part. Beyond that, sure, a certain minority of conservatives would be bitching if it were just regular ole gay folks or whatnot. (but then, I don't think the lefties would be showing up much either) I think the culture wars made this one.
Show me video of them doing sexual stuff with the kids or showing up nearly naked at this reading?

Show me video of them doing sexual stuff with the kids or showing up nearly naked at this reading?
I didn't say it at this reading. I'm saying that surely that has to have been a big reason why something like drag queen story hour became controversial in the first place. (not that all instances had someone prancing around in a thong)

Obviously the odd part is the "DRAG QUEEN" part in the story hour. That's point. Drag queens are the point. They want you to show up an notice the drag queen -- otherwise it would be any other story hour. This is obvious.

I'm sure it started off as some way to expose kids to "gender diverse" people... and gender diverse stories. But unfortunately there was some twerking, sexualization -- at some of these events -- and confusion over what exactly a drag queen was.

The curious thing to me is that drag queens caught on, of all things, for the purpose of exposing kids such. Why pick something in which is often sexualized?
I guess I don't understand why people care. The parents made a decision to take their kids. It's their choice right? I am not bitching about parents taking their kids to R-rated movies.

The vast majority of these events are child friendly. A man dressed in costume that happens to be women's clothing is not inherently inappropriate if a parent deems it appropriate for their children. Some parents bring their children to R rated movies with nudity and sex. Should there be a law preventing all parents from taking their kids to R rated movies? Any athletic event where clothing is minimal? Wrestling? Have you seen those singlets? No child should ever have to see those bulges. The problem the screaming conservatives have with this is that we're dealing with drag queens who are typically gay.

Because Rs always need bogeymen. That's why it's controversial.
R's capitalize on X.
But that doesn't mean X was a good idea or wasn't above criticism.

Just as milk was a bad choice on a hot day, so is the marketing of drag queens reading to little kids. (for the purposes of... gender diversity or whatever it is they're aiming for)

The vast majority of these events are child friendly. A man dressed in costume that happens to be women's clothing is not inherently inappropriate if a parent deems it appropriate for their children. Some parents bring their children to R rated movies with nudity and sex. Should there be a law preventing all parents from taking their kids to R rated movies? Any athletic event where clothing is minimal? Wrestling? Have you seen those singlets? No child should ever have to see those bulges. The problem the screaming conservatives have with this is that we're dealing with drag queens who are typically gay.
I would tend to agree that the majority aren't that way.

Still... you had the nutty videos the leaked. A very opportunistic conservative media. (and lets face it, in this day and age, anything dumb the political opposition does will be used against them)

And lastly... most people, I think, consider drag to be an adult thing. At least here in America. I always did. And I had no problems with drag queens. (and in general liberal about this stuff)

So to me... they're just sort of asking for backlash. Why not pick something that wasn't traditionally associated with sexual behavior in most people's eyes?

As far as the rest of it...

Yeah, but do parents bring their kids to events where the main-damn purpose is the sexy performer? And the kids get to interact with them? That's where all the videos were weird. It'd be different if it were somebody in drag in a cheerleader costume at a football game. But that's not this.

R's capitalize on X.
But that doesn't mean X was a good idea or wasn't above criticism.

Just as milk was a bad choice on a hot day, so is the marketing of drag queens reading to little kids. (for the purposes of... gender diversity or whatever it is they're aiming for)
It got 400 people out for literature. How on Earth is that a bad choice?

Reactions: Ree4 and gohawks50
I would tend to agree that the majority aren't that way.

Still... you had the nutty videos the leaked. A very opportunistic conservative media. (and lets face it, in this day and age, anything dumb the political opposition does will be used against them)

And lastly... most people, I think, consider drag to be an adult thing. At least here in America. I always did. And I had no problems with drag queens. (and in general liberal about this stuff)

So to me... they're just sort of asking for backlash. Why not pick something that wasn't traditionally associated with sexual behavior in most people's eyes?

As far as the rest of it...

Yeah, but do parents bring their kids to events where the main-damn purpose is the sexy performer? And the kids get to interact with them? That's where all the videos were weird. It'd be different if it were somebody in drag in a cheerleader costume at a football game. But that's not this.
This is an opinion piece. Should parents be beholden to conservative media? How often do the risque shows with kids happen?

It's important to explain to little kids -- that barely are going to be able to grasp this stuff, if they can at all -- about being non binary. Neither. It's important the information comes from a man in drag. At your library. (or some other such venue)

Plus -- perhaps most importantly -- you get 100 bazillion progressive points for doing so. (masking gets you a few more, too)

6410f4f3250000360044faf2.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: EasyHawk

giphy.gif

It's important to explain to little kids -- that barely are going to be able to grasp this stuff, if they can at all -- about being non binary. Neither. It's important the information comes from a man in drag. At your library. (or some other such venue)

Plus -- perhaps most importantly -- you get 100 bazillion progressive points for doing so. (masking gets you a few more, too)

giphy.gif

Does that photo make you angry? I would never take my kids (don't really have any) to a drag show but why should I care if other parents do? You base your opinion on events that seldom happen.

You know how I know you don't know any drag people?

I haven't seen anyone this scantily clad since the Puritan swimsuit edition.

Reactions: Ree4
I would let them be nutty in peace. You're an idiot. Get lost.
How generous of you to allow people you don’t know to live in peace. We should all be so lucky to receive your approval and blessing in our day to day activities. Maybe you can add not being insulted by internet tough guys to the things you’ll allow in the world you control?

• Haha
Reactions: Ree4 and torbee
And yet you will post sterotypical generalizations about them, what they do, their performances and who they are.
Look, I've read about them, I know that they don't always perform is a sexualized manner. In a risque way.

My point is that most people's exposure to them is probably in a sexualized way. So if we were to draw up something for promoting gender diversity awareness where youth are concerned -- something in and of itself a lot of people will be squeamish about -- you probably wouldn't want to go with a drag queen as your spokesperson.

So, naturally... progressives become infatuated with drag-queens reading to kids about gender diversity. (and some of them go nuts, having their kids tipping them on stage like strippers)

(this was like feeding chum to sharks for the conservative media)

And so... I roll my eyes at it all.

• Haha
Reactions: RileyHawk
Look, I've read about them, I know that they don't always perform is a sexualized manner. In a risque way.

My point is that most people's exposure to them probably is probably in a sexualized way.
So let's recap

You: they preform in a sexualized manner
Also you: I know they don't always preform in a sexualzied manner
Also you: but everybody's exposure is in a sexualized way

You're so full of crap on this issue. You think every drag queens is some flabonent queen that wants to screw everything that walks.

I can introduce you to people you wouldn't even know dress in drag and preform because it's an art or they enjoy it. Until then just stop posting your generalized, incorrect, right wing driven bull about the topic.

Shit, he probably is one! He’s just doing his one trick pony contrarian schtick again. I think colon believes the crap he spews about as much as Tucker Carlson believes the shit he spews. It’s all performative.
It's like you can't handle the thought that someone might read The Atlantic (yes, I actually pay for a subscrption now!) and hold any number of views similar to yours, but... also choses to take shots at the left over their silliness.

Put me in the camp of preferring silliness like drag queen story time over the hysterical, fearful homophobic protesters scaring little kids and filming them without their consent. Those are the oddball weirdos we should all be concerned about, not the guys in women’s clothing.

This whole “grooming” concept is just the repackaging of anti gay rhetoric from the 1960s and 70s when they called it “recruiting”. Same hateful BS, just a different era.

It's like you can't handle the thought that someone might read The Atlantic (yes, I actually pay for a subscrption now!) and hold any number of views similar to yours, but... also choses to take shots at the left over their silliness.
Up your game.

Reactions: torbee
I didn't say it at this reading. I'm saying that surely that has to have been a big reason why something like drag queen story hour became controversial in the first place. (not that all instances had someone prancing around in a thong)
You absolutely did.

"I'm sure it started off as some way to expose kids to "gender diverse" people... and gender diverse stories. But unfortunately there was some twerking, sexualization -- at some of these events -- and confusion over what exactly a drag queen was."

Are you just anti-drag or are you anti gay as well?

You absolutely did.

"I'm sure it started off as some way to expose kids to "gender diverse" people... and gender diverse stories. But unfortunately there was some twerking, sexualization -- at some of these events -- and confusion over what exactly a drag queen was."

Are you just anti-drag or are you anti gay as well?
Not anti either.

Obviously there was no evidence of sexy stuff at this particular drag-queen hour. I was speaking of the drag queen story hour phenomenon in general there.

Who gives a shit if someone in a costume, or dressed up however they want to be, read books to kids? I get being against the sexual stripper dances that we have seen on some videos. This does not appear to be that in any way. Let people live their lives however they want.

Now if they were stripping or wearing thongs or little to no clothes, no matter the gender, that would be different.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT