ADVERTISEMENT

Johnson County GOP chair alleges she was assaulted at drag storytime

Sounds like drag queens reading to children at the public library isn’t odd to some of you. While I’m liberal on many things socially, I guess I‘m still a bit conservative where I think we’ve gone a bit overboard with what parents are exposing their kids to. All I said was I thought the “location” was an odd choice and that the protesters had a right to protest.

Can we not have our own opinions anymore? Everyone has to fall in line with the way progressives think. Look at the way my words were twisted in this thread. Some of you act in the exact manner that you vehemently oppose someone else acting. You want others to be more open minded, unless it’s a view that doesn’t match with yours.

Sounds like drag queens reading to children at the public library isn’t odd to some of you. While I’m liberal on many things socially, I guess I‘m still a bit conservative where I think we’ve gone a bit overboard with what parents are exposing their kids to. All I said was I thought the “location” was an odd choice and that the protesters had a right to protest.

Can we not have our own opinions anymore? Everyone has to fall in line with the way progressives think. Look at the way my words were twisted in this thread. Some of you act in the exact manner that you vehemently oppose someone else acting. You want others to be more open minded, unless it’s a view that doesn’t match with yours.
I have zero issues with you thinking it's "odd."

I think a lot of things are odd that other people like. Comic book/superhero movies for one.

It did seem as though you were questioning the right of the library to host this type of event in your first post, so that is why people reacted as if you were "opposed" to it. I don't think anyone has demanded you "fall in the line" with the way they think. For the most part - outside of the dumbass NC alt handles posting - this has been a pretty civil and interesting discussion, IMO.

I have zero issues with you thinking it's "odd."

I think a lot of things are odd that other people like. Comic book/superhero movies for one.

It did seem as though you were questioning the right of the library to host this type of event in your first post, so that is why people reacted as if you were "opposed" to it. I don't think anyone has demanded you "fall in the line" with the way they think. For the most part - outside of the dumbass NC alt handles posting - this has been a pretty civil and interesting discussion, IMO.
Do you mind pointing out where I was even remotely questioning the right of the library to host this type of event?

NC and anything that resembles an NC alt is usually on ignore. Hard to keep up with the alts.

Do you mind pointing out where I was even remotely questioning the right of the library to host this type of event?

NC and anything that resembles an NC alt is usually on ignore. Hard to keep up with the alts.
The word unnecessary seems to suggest these events should be held elsewhere.

Agree. Drag story time seems like an unnecessary event at a public library.

Drag shows have been around for a long time. When did it become necessary to host them in public schools, libraries, etc? This all seems recent, or the controversy over them is recent.

Reactions: torbee

Have them at a private business all you want.

You wrote this. I don't think it's a huge logical leap to infer that you believe they should not be held at public venues. You subsequently said you wouldn't prevent them but "wonder why" they feel it's necessary. At the very least, you are indicating some discomfort and uncertainty about their appropriateness at a public library; an opinion, once again, you are fully entitled to.

Have them at a private business all you want.

You wrote this. I don't think it's a huge logical leap to infer that you believe they should not be held at public venues. You subsequently said you wouldn't prevent them but "wonder why" they feel it's necessary. At the very least, you are indicating some discomfort and uncertainty about their appropriateness at a public library; an opinion, once again, you are fully entitled to.
I’ll have to be more wordy in the future then. Have them at a private business, it’s less likely to be newsworthy and less likely to have protests. Having these events at public libraries and schools is an invitation to outrage from the right.

No more here to discuss.

Oh it's odd, no doubt, not even sure how it became a thing. I do however support the activity and any library's decision to host public events of this type. There's obviously support in most local communities nationwide for this or they just wouldn't continue to have them. The ICPL event was packed, they likely had to turn some people away due to capacity restrictions. Why should I or anyone else care how other people choose to spend quality time with their families as long as there is no harm to anyone?

I'm also OK with people protesting the event as well, I just don't understand why you'd bother to do so. I guess the morality police have many different crosses to bear and they want to make damn sure everyone notices, perhaps that's their point? No better way to convince people that you're in the right than acting holier than thou and sanctimonious and then mix in a bit of confrontation and itching for a fight attitude.

What I'm not OK with is protestors inserting themselves into the middle of the event just to disrupt it and make a big spectacle out of it. They should not be filming children at the event without parental permission and scaring kids because of their disruptive and creepy behavior. ICPL should have had them removed from the room and had them continue their protestations outside the building on the public right of way.

Oh it's odd, no doubt, not even sure how it became a thing. I do however support the activity and any library's decision to host public events of this type. There's obviously support in most local communities nationwide for this or they just wouldn't continue to have them. The ICPL event was packed, they likely had to turn some people away due to capacity restrictions. Why should I or anyone else care how other people choose to spend quality time with their families as long as there is no harm to anyone?

I'm also OK with people protesting the event as well, I just don't understand why you'd bother to do so. I guess the morality police have many different crosses to bear and they want to make damn sure everyone notices, perhaps that's their point? No better way to convince people that you're in the right than acting holier than thou and sanctimonious and then mix in a bit of confrontation and itching for a fight attitude.

What I'm not OK with is protestors inserting themselves into the middle of the event just to disrupt it and make a big spectacle out of it. They should not be filming children at the event without parental permission and scaring kids because of their disruptive and creepy behavior. ICPL should have had them removed from the room and had them continue their protestations outside the building on the public right of way.
I’m good with all that, as long as you remain consistent when you support a group of protesters that “insert themselves, disrupt and make a spectacle out of themselves. See BLM and Abortion rights protests. I’m not pointing out you specifically, but it’s obliviously obvious which team you side with. I also don’t really care enough to go back and dig through all of your old posts. I’m just saying, I don’t think the left generally has the same consistency about the above rules of protesting engagement when their side protests something they feel strongly about.

• Haha
Reactions: BelemNole
I didn't say it at this reading. I'm saying that surely that has to have been a big reason why something like drag queen story hour became controversial in the first place. (not that all instances had someone prancing around in a thong)
I've yet to see one example of this sort of thing being remotely sexual.

Bottomline, people dressing in drag makes people uncomfortable, someone somewhere posted a video that was taken out of context and so it became a controversy.

I seem to remember a couple years back where there was a drag queen dancing in front of a kid, people got outraged, it later came out that it was their kid.

Reactions: RileyHawk
I’m good with all that, as long as you remain consistent when you support a group of protesters that “insert themselves, disrupt and make a spectacle out of themselves. See BLM and Abortion rights protests. I’m not pointing out you specifically, but it’s obliviously obvious which team you side with. I also don’t really care enough to go back and dig through all of your old posts. I’m just saying, I don’t think the left generally has the same consistency about the above rules of protesting engagement when their side protests something they feel strongly about.
What events are your talking about, specifically, that BLM and Abortion Rights have inserted themselves into?

I can't speak for others, but I was VERY outspoken and angry about the BLM protests in Iowa City damaging property and disrupting some businesses. While I understand the anger and frustration of those protesters, it is counterproductive and morally wrong to damage property or threaten people.

I've yet to see one example of this sort of thing being remotely sexual.

Bottomline, people dressing in drag makes people uncomfortable, someone somewhere posted a video that was taken out of context and so it became a controversy.

I seem to remember a couple years back where there was a drag queen dancing in front of a kid, people got outraged, it later came out that it was their kid.
LibsOfTicktock posts lots of sexualized dancing involving dragqueens and kids. I even posted one a few weeks back. @RileyHawk knows exactly what I'm talking about, don't you, Riles?

No, the IC wasn't an example of this. Nor are most of the events, I'd imagine. However, those incidents go viral and are a hinderance to people accepting this sort of event.

• Haha
Reactions: BelemNole
Why is drag queen story time a thing? I don't get the attraction.

Don't get me wrong; if parents want to take their children to a drag queen story time then that is their choice. I just don't understand the concept. Why is it important that the people reading stories to their children are dressed in drag?

Do they have other story hours where the people reading books are dressed in different ways or is drag queen story hour the only choice if you want your children to attend story hour?
I don't get the attraction of organized religion, but I don't try to pass laws to ban them or stand up during services with a sign that says "Religious leaders rape children."
Why, because while I play an asshole on HORT I don't bother people doing their own thing in real life.

LibsOfTicktock posts lots of sexualized dancing involving dragqueens and kids. I even posted one a few weeks back. @RileyHawk knows exactly what I'm talking about, don't you, Riles?

No, the IC wasn't an example of this. Nor are most of the events, I'd imagine. However, those incidents go viral and are a hinderance to people accepting this sort of event.
No, I don't. If LibsOfTikTok is your source you are not to be taken seriously.

It's a video with multiple sources. You don't get to ignore it because LibsOfTikTok posted it. It's plainly real. (and there are others like it, also plainly real)
That you believe it because it's on LibsOfTikTok is but another reason not to take you seriously.

And you've claimed there are "lots" and that events are being interrupted. Where is your evidence of that?

Here's a tip for you - everything on there is not real nor does everything have proper context.

That you believe it because it's on LibsOfTikTok is but another reason not to take you seriously.

And you've claimed there are "lots" and that events are being interrupted. Where is your evidence of that?

Here's a tip for you - everything on there is not real nor does everything have proper context.
I don't believe it because it's on LibsOfTikTok, I believe it because it's obviously a real piece of video. And there have been others like it. And dragqueens + kids is now a thing.

Your options are that it's staged or AI.

Neither appeared to be true.

It's harder to spoof a video with dozens of interacting people than it is a piece of text -- and everybody knows this.

IIRC, probably a half dozen videos. I'm not sure what you're talking about in regards to "being interrupted"

• Haha
Reactions: RileyHawk
I don't believe it because it's on LibsOfTikTok, I believe it because it's obviously a real piece of video. And there have been others like it. And dragqueens + kids is now a thing.

It's harder to spoof a video with dozens of interacting people than it is a piece of text -- and everybody knows this.

IIRC, probably a half dozen videos. I'm not sure what you're talking about in regards to "being interrupted"

A video from a parody account that you can’t promise hasn’t been edited, don’t totally know the entire context behind, but sure it’s totally legit.

If the onion posts a story do you believe that as well? Seriously, you’re taking the word of a parody account as fact.

A video from a parody account that you can’t promise hasn’t been edited, don’t totally know the entire context behind, but sure it’s totally legit.

If the onion posts a story do you believe that as well? Seriously, you’re taking the word of a parody account as fact.
Look, I'll go find the video. It's a dude in a thong with toddlers. Parents obviously brought them there for that purpose. It's hard to spin that as anything sane.

So you're left with the argument that well... the video edited. Do you understand how hard it would be do a really good job spoofing a video like this?

It's almost certainly real.

And that's what you would find as well, watching the video.

You are very naïve. And you've claimed "lots".

You also claimed that left wing organizations are interrupting events like the protesters did in this children's reading event.

Hard to keep up with your own statements when you scramble like this, I guess.

Look, I'll go find the video. It's a dude in a thong with toddlers. Parents obviously brought them there for that purpose. It's hard to spin that as anything sane.

So you're left with the argument that well... the video edited. Do you understand how hard it would be do a really good job spoofing a video like this?

So it's thongs you're against now? Should they be banned at swimming pools as well?

You are very naïve. And you've claimed "lots".

You also claimed that left wing organizations are interrupting events like the protesters did in this children's reading event.

Hard to keep up with your own statements when you scramble like this, I guess.
Look, if I claimed that about left wing orgs, then it was a mistake because I never had that in my head.

If I said lots, that's a bit more subjective. I'm not sure what "lots" is exactly. I would say I've seen a number of these sorts of sexy dancing videos with kids as attendees posted at this juncture. Enough to be WTF.

In the broader conversation taking place here the items you're calling out are quite inconsequential and have, at any rate, been swiftly taken care of.

On to the videos!

So it's thongs you're against now? Should they be banned at swimming pools as well?
Could you please stop wasting my time. Learn to argue.

Obviously the claim is that parents are bring their kids to an event expressly for watching and interacting with sexy dancers -- in this case, men in drag. That would strike most anybody as odd.

Obviously the claim is that parents are bring their kids to an event expressly for watching and interacting with sexy dancers -- in this case, men in drag. That would strike most anybody as odd.
And that claim is wrong. This event has been going on for years and has nothing to do with sexy dancing. You're trying to take a TikTok video and apply it to all drag shows and it's simply not true. You're also projecting an ignorant trope about why parents would attend an event with men in dresses with their children.

Archie Bunker was more forward thinking.

Reactions: sober_teacher
And that claim is wrong. This event has been going on for years and has nothing to do with sexy dancing. You're trying to take a TikTok video and apply it to all drag shows and it's simply not true. You're also projecting an ignorant trope about why parents would attend an event with men in dresses with their children.

Look, I'm just going to start ignoring you if don't learn to make good faith arguments. It's either that or you're an idiot that can't read and argue coherently.

I said this sort of thing gets out there on social media, spreads, and sours people on the notion on things like dragqueen story hour. I didn't say they were all like this.

What event are you talking about, link?

• Haha
Reactions: EasyHawk
Ms. Bumgarner appears to live in Tipton and work in West Branch. Just exactly how is she chair of Johnson County Republicans when she lives and works in Cedar County? Furthermore how miserable is your existence that you feel compelled to drive to Johnson County from Cedar and Scott county to protest a kid’s story time because you’ve been brainwashed to believe a pile of lies that drag queens are grooming children? Get a life, creepers.

Bunch of busybody shit disturbers.
“Shit disturber” is a upgrade from “shit eater.”

That’s progress, no?

Last edited:

I don’t care about a video from a source that I know is not serious. It’s like believing the video on Tuckers show where people were just walking around the Capitol and believing that 1/6 really was a peaceful protest…ignoring that it came from a guy who has zero credibility.

I don’t doubt your video exists. I just don’t believe any information they provided around it. Feel free to provide a video from any other source and we can discuss.

I don’t care about a video from a source that I know is not serious. It’s like believing the video on Tuckers show where people were just walking around the Capitol and believing that 1/6 really was a peaceful protest…ignoring that it came from a guy who has zero credibility.

I don’t doubt your video exists. I just don’t believe any information they provided around it. Feel free to provide a video from any other source and we can discuss.
I wouldn't bother playing Colon's stupid contrarian game.

He will always find some obscure, outlying incident or link to try and discredit a common sense take.

Despite the fact the vast, vast majority of drag story times are absolutely non-sexual and nothing more than adults playing dress up, if somewhere at sometime someone maybe was inappropriate, he will try to claim that as "proof" that such story times are dens of inequity and horrible for children.

It's just what he does.

One. Trick. Pony.

giphy.gif

I wouldn't bother playing Colon's stupid contrarian game.

He will always find some obscure, outlying incident or link to try and discredit a common sense take.

Despite the fact the vast, vast majority of drag story times are absolutely non-sexual and nothing more than adults playing dress up, if somewhere at sometime someone maybe was inappropriate, he will try to claim that as "proof" that such story times are dens of inequity and horrible for children.

It's just what he does.

One. Trick. Pony.

giphy.gif
Exactly. Which is why when he gets challenged he can only come up with a stupid TikTok video or other such nonsense.

I'll summarize for you then. I think it's safe to say I support free speech in its many forms, including protesting, without bias to the various causes or which side you're on. I do think there are limits to that, particularly if you attempt to disrupt others' legal rights to assemble etc. like these doofuses did. Similarly, I don't support violence, theft, vandalism, blocking roadways & streets or any other illegal activity that may occur in conjunction with an legally assembled protest. IMO it doesn't matter what side of the issue or aisle you're on, there's a right way and a wrong way to conduct yourself in these circumstances and as long as that's met, every true American should hold the same opinion. It's not a political issue whatsoever.

From your previous response, if your opinion is that all or even a majority of the BLM or abortion rights protesters were committing illegal acts while protesting, then yeah, we will have differences of opinion there, because you're dead wrong on that point, just like many of the trolls here have claimed. I couldn't be more consistent in my position IMO.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT