ADVERTISEMENT

Johnson Pays Trump Visit as He Faces Mounting Criticism from the Right

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
Speaker Mike Johnson on Monday night visited former President Donald J. Trump at his Mar-a-Lago estate in Florida, according to a person familiar with the meeting, making his first pilgrimage to see the Republican presidential front-runner since his surprise elevation to the top post in the House last month.
The visit to Mr. Trump’s Florida home came at a tricky moment for the inexperienced speaker, who is already facing criticism from hard-right allies livid at him for teaming with Democrats last week to pass legislation to avert a government shutdown. The person confirmed the private meeting on the condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss it.
Mr. Trump’s influence over spending fights in Washington may be limited, but Mr. Johnson’s decision to meet with him within weeks of his election is a sign he knows he cannot afford to have Mr. Trump weighing in publicly against him and hardening right-wing opposition to his leadership.
Mr. Johnson has taken other steps to ingratiate himself to the far right and cement his hold on the gavel. Late last week, he announced he was publicly releasing surveillance video of the Jan. 6, 2021, attack on the Capitol, a step far-right lawmakers and activists have been demanding as they seek to undercut the facts about how supporters of Mr. Trump violently stormed the complex seeking to overturn his electoral defeat.
Advertisement
SKIP ADVERTISEMENT

Since Mr. Trump’s election in 2016, Republican congressional leaders have had to cultivate some kind of working relationship with him. But Mr. Johnson, who defended the former president in two Senate impeachment trials and played a lead role in trying to help him invalidate the 2020 election results, is positioning himself as the first speaker to be in complete lock step with the former president.

The meeting at Mar-a-Lago was reported earlier by Punchbowl News.
Last week, Mr. Johnson officially endorsed Mr. Trump — a move former Speaker Kevin McCarthy resisted even while proclaiming that the former president would be the Republican nominee and would be re-elected.
“I endorsed him wholeheartedly for re-election in 2020, and traveled with his team as a campaign surrogate to help ensure his victory,” Mr. Johnson said in a statement to The New York Times. “I have fully endorsed him once again.”
The endorsement came in response to a report by The Times that in 2015, Mr. Johnson had posted on social media saying that Mr. Trump was unfit to serve and could be a danger as president.
“The thing about Donald Trump is that he lacks the character and the moral center we desperately need again in the White House,” Mr. Johnson wrote in a lengthy post on Facebook on Aug. 7, 2015. “I am afraid he would break more things than he fixes. He is a hot head by nature, and that is a dangerous trait to have in a Commander in Chief.”

Mr. Johnson, who until last month never held a top-tier position in leadership, was in Florida for a fund-raising trip. He made a stop at Mar-a-Lago for an event for Representative Gus Bilirakis, Republican of Florida, according to the person familiar with the meeting with Mr. Trump.
A spokesman for Mr. Johnson did not provide additional information about the meeting.

d&d flirt GIF by Hyper RPG

I'm finding it hard to understand why this is news.? Or should I say that it causes a need to get upset about it. The Speaker of the House met with the leading candidate of his party. I'm positive this isn't the first time it's happened in history.

I'm finding it hard to understand why this is news.? Or should I say that it causes a need to get upset about it. The Speaker of the House met with the leading candidate of his party. I'm positive this isn't the first time it's happened in history.
It's the first time the leading candidate for a party is a career grifter, criminal, and traitor to the United States of America.

Speaker Mike Johnson on Monday night visited former President Donald J. Trump at his Mar-a-Lago estate in Florida, according to a person familiar with the meeting, making his first pilgrimage to see the Republican presidential front-runner since his surprise elevation to the top post in the House last month.
The visit to Mr. Trump’s Florida home came at a tricky moment for the inexperienced speaker, who is already facing criticism from hard-right allies livid at him for teaming with Democrats last week to pass legislation to avert a government shutdown. The person confirmed the private meeting on the condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss it.
Mr. Trump’s influence over spending fights in Washington may be limited, but Mr. Johnson’s decision to meet with him within weeks of his election is a sign he knows he cannot afford to have Mr. Trump weighing in publicly against him and hardening right-wing opposition to his leadership.
Mr. Johnson has taken other steps to ingratiate himself to the far right and cement his hold on the gavel. Late last week, he announced he was publicly releasing surveillance video of the Jan. 6, 2021, attack on the Capitol, a step far-right lawmakers and activists have been demanding as they seek to undercut the facts about how supporters of Mr. Trump violently stormed the complex seeking to overturn his electoral defeat.
Advertisement
SKIP ADVERTISEMENT

Since Mr. Trump’s election in 2016, Republican congressional leaders have had to cultivate some kind of working relationship with him. But Mr. Johnson, who defended the former president in two Senate impeachment trials and played a lead role in trying to help him invalidate the 2020 election results, is positioning himself as the first speaker to be in complete lock step with the former president.

The meeting at Mar-a-Lago was reported earlier by Punchbowl News.
Last week, Mr. Johnson officially endorsed Mr. Trump — a move former Speaker Kevin McCarthy resisted even while proclaiming that the former president would be the Republican nominee and would be re-elected.
“I endorsed him wholeheartedly for re-election in 2020, and traveled with his team as a campaign surrogate to help ensure his victory,” Mr. Johnson said in a statement to The New York Times. “I have fully endorsed him once again.”
The endorsement came in response to a report by The Times that in 2015, Mr. Johnson had posted on social media saying that Mr. Trump was unfit to serve and could be a danger as president.
“The thing about Donald Trump is that he lacks the character and the moral center we desperately need again in the White House,” Mr. Johnson wrote in a lengthy post on Facebook on Aug. 7, 2015. “I am afraid he would break more things than he fixes. He is a hot head by nature, and that is a dangerous trait to have in a Commander in Chief.”

Mr. Johnson, who until last month never held a top-tier position in leadership, was in Florida for a fund-raising trip. He made a stop at Mar-a-Lago for an event for Representative Gus Bilirakis, Republican of Florida, according to the person familiar with the meeting with Mr. Trump.
A spokesman for Mr. Johnson did not provide additional information about the meeting.

This country would be in so much better shape if Trump would just die.

OJ wasn't found guilty either.

Do you honestly believe Trump is not a grifter, criminal and traitor to The United States of America?
I think he's a traitor to the establishment. To America, I haven't seen it.

• Haha
Reactions: Kelsers
Read it again. I didn't say he deserves to die. I'm saying this country would be better off if he wasn't in the nation's future tearing the US apart.
Maybe, but I didn't see him in front of Blood Red backdrop screaming about a group of voters and their beliefs.

And no, I'm not MAGA or a Trumper. I'm someone who sees it from both sides. They both are tearing America apart.

This is the first time I can think of where I am surprised someone in the US hasn't been assassinated. I figured someone in this corrupt deep state DOJ/FBI/CIA/IRS?Nancy Pelosi would have had this threat eliminated by now.
Nixon. They found that they could put someone they wanted into office by legal means. JFK was a bad look for them.

• Haha
Reactions: Kelsers
You're giving yourself all kinds of outs there Ryan.
WTF, is your problem. There is a legal process. I am not a Trumper asshole. I am an American and if Trump did what he's been charged with, then he should be held accountable. If he didn't then he will be found not guilty. I am only questioning everything because for years we were told he colluded with Russia only to find out he didn't. The thing that tore Americans apart were the Dems and big media.

WTF, is your problem. There is a legal process. I am not a Trumper asshole. I am an American and if Trump did what he's been charged with, then he should be held accountable. If he didn't then he will be found not guilty. I am only questioning everything because for years we were told he colluded with Russia only to find out he didn't. The thing that tore Americans apart were the Dems and big media.
He did collude with Russia. His campaign 100% did. He is a foreign agent and the enemy of the 🇺🇸 and also the leader of the GOP.

And so there it is. Sharkey put the qualifier out there so that he can later say "head I win, tail you lose" in these cases.
Careful. Ryan will come after you too!

Jesus you are a joke

Jesus you are a joke
And you're not? Because I just don't jump on board with whatever the left or right throws out there? The joke is on you. You don't free think and only see things in one color. Besides I'm pretty sure that you're a paid DNC'r that is on here for one purpose. I used to follow my Hawks on this board for many years. I would get info about upcoming events, how people felt about things. I never needed to post because I didn't need to. A-holes like you made it so I couldn't even follow a sports thread without political attacks. It got to the point I couldn't take it anymore and created a username to tell people to stay off the sports threads. I got attacked for that. So, just like I told those people, block me now because I will find your posts and disrupt your shit. You're not as smart as you think you are. I've seen what your party is and has done. Abortion was Obama's #1 thing he was going to do as soon as he got in office. He had a super majority in the House and Senate, didn't pass crap. Now the court put it back to the states and you blow a gasket. No, the Republican's aren't at fault. When handed the power to get what you wanted, they did nothing. Seeth all you want but that is the cold hard facts. That is one of many examples I can give for both sides.

Johnson and Trump is a sad duo. Trump's faults are too many to name, and Johnson seems to be just a freckle more likable than Pence, but still wearing religion on his sleeve.

Reactions: cigaretteman
I think he's a traitor to the establishment. To America, I haven't seen it.
What is "the establishment"? He's the leader of one of the two major political parties in the United States. That's not "establishment"?

But you're an obvious cult member, so you're gonna cult.

Reactions: cigaretteman
What is "the establishment"? He's the leader of one of the two major political parties in the United States. That's not "establishment"?

But you're an obvious cult member, so you're gonna cult.
If I have to explain something that simple, then I will not waste my time with a paid DNC'r. If you spent two seconds looking my posts up, you will find your last sentence is one of the stupidest comments of the day.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT