ADVERTISEMENT

New Story Jon Budmayr officially official as WR coach

Probably should just be happy that Jon accepted the position.

Otherwise Kirk would have just stepped out of his office and offered the next person he saw. He clearly thinks the WR coach isn't important.

Kirk WR coaching search...
awkward pulp fiction GIF

Reactions: QChawks
It’s the one coaching position that has least amount of impact on a team. It’s up to Lester to devise plays to get guys open and coach up the QBs to get the ball to them. The WR coach shows them how to tie their shoes so they don’t trip. :)

Reactions: dadster
everything about this guys resume screams best WR coach candidate available.
After a nationwide search…….

Heard the same thing about the OC position about 8 years ago…..how’d that work out? None too good. KF just needs to park up his millions and retire if he isn’t willing to put in the work to find the best wide receiver coach for a program in desperate need of a very good one to help train the players and can speak the language on the recruiting trail.

Budmayr joined the Iowa staff from Colorado State, where he served as offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach in 2021. Budmayr spent six seasons at Wisconsin, including the final three as quarterbacks coach. He also served as a quality control assistant (2016-17) and graduate assistant (2015) with the Badgers.

People that say KF knows best...BS.

Reactions: OutbackBowl2017
The entire offensive staff should have been let go. I understand that Betts and Hodge are well liked Hawkeyes and their respected units did “ok”

But they’ve been a part of the worst offense in college football for years, with the last three years becoming a national joke / punchline.

but kirk is afraid of change so we get a mix of someone new and promotion of those directly responsible for the horrible results.
I don’t agree that Hodge and Betts should have been let go; they have both been solid.

I think this is a make or break season for Barnett. OL loaded with experience, guys he’s coached for years and he just got handed an elite LT. Another lackluster OL performance in ‘24 and even senile KF would have to admit that it’s a disaster.

As far as the Lester and Buttmary hires go, if they end up being flops, KF won’t be around long enough to replace them. BG has been taking careful notes I’m sure.

Reactions: CerroGordoHawk
I don’t agree that Hodge and Betts should have been let go; they have both been solid.

I think this is a make or break season for Barnett. OL loaded with experience, guys he’s coached for years and he just got handed an elite LT. Another lackluster OL performance in ‘24 and even senile KF would have to admit that it’s a disaster.

As far as the Lester and Buttmary hires go, if they end up being flops, KF won’t be around long enough to replace them. BG has been taking careful notes I’m sure.
Yup. Star left tackle aside, this oline 2 deep will average probaby 4-5 years in the program, with the last 3 under Barnett. It will never be more experienced than it will be next year. The offense has been so broken in all aspects that it's been hard to evaluate any of the individual position groups. How much is due to really bad oline play vs the oline being overwhelmed due to predictable play calling/design and defenses being allowed to get out in front of them is debatable. My eyes tell me it's been a good amount of both.

Last edited:
Or, maybe KF can’t attract decent help anymore and that’s why he has to settle for Bud and Lester.

New OC.... a chance to be part of an offensive rebuild for a consistent top 25 B1G team. Lots to sell to a WR coach..

Sick of the "aw shucks" sales pitch for players and coaches.

Kirk likes Jon and Jon needed a job (beyond the analyst role).... End of WR coach search.

"The Gift" that keeps on giving.
On the "positive" side, the downfield blocker position group is likely to have the least impact on the offense anyway so it has limited impact on the offense getting to that milestone of 100th best in FBS.

If it wasn't for Phil Parker...the program would be completely in the shitter. This is looking more and morel like Kirk is just riding it out, gonna do it his way and F*** everybody else.
"Good fit" and "Team player."

Kirk's an old man who wants to be surrounded by yes-men he gets along with who know their place and will do what their told without trying to do things their own way. He's said as much.

On the flip side, Kirk sees something there, and whether or not we agree I'm open to give the guy at least a few games to see if this mess gets any better. Past history indicates no, however as an analyst he probably had limited offensive interaction outside of pre game day stuff, analytics, etc. Maybe now in this role he could potentially flourish and I think the more technical stuff (route trees, scheme, footwork) will be part of Lester's job and perhaps the two can and will mesh.

I find it crazy to think Kirk went over Tim's head and made this hire w/out Lester's knowledge or approval. The delay was probably working the contract and HR stuff otherwise just announce it with Tim around the same time. Something, anything is better than the crap we saw ran out there for two seasons and a below avg OL and worst QB in D1 last year did us ZERO favors.

It all works together and follow me here....a semi healthy Cade or Marco, running Lester's RPO with a better OL and having Lachey back all with an incrementally better scheme and WR group SHOULD result in a double digit offensive ranking. I know, I know, we read this every year and certainly did with BF for 3 straight years yet give Lester and Bud at least the non-conf. to see how it goes.

Reactions: hawkeyemark18
This wasn’t a lazy hire, or a cheap hire, this was a friend of KF hire. He already had to go out of the family to fill a spot this season, no way was he gonna do it twice in one year.

Reactions: DewHawk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT