ADVERTISEMENT

Joni Ernst (Sorry, No Pics)

EasyHawk

HR Legend
Jun 21, 2015

Typical GOP Behavior Now (and they are very scared):​

GOP’s Ernst wants to stop Biden from delivering the State of the Union​

As President Joe Biden prepares to deliver his latest State of the Union address, it stands to reason that there are Republican members of Congress who aren’t eager to hear the Democrat’s remarks. But more notable are the GOP lawmakers who’d like to prevent the speech from even happening.

Last week, for example, Rep. Scott Perry raised the specter of rescinding Biden’s invitation. “He comes at the invitation of Congress, and Republicans are in control of the House,” the Pennsylvania Republican told Fox Business’ Maria Bartiromo. “There’s no reason that we need to invite him to get more propaganda.”

Exactly one week later, Sen. Joni Ernst sat down with the same Fox host and pushed a related message.

“It is unfathomable that we do not have a national security strategy from the president, nor do we have his budget for the upcoming fiscal year,” the Iowa Republican said. “And because of that, we want to stop him from actually delivering the State of the Union.”

When the senator referenced “we,” she was apparently referring to proponents of her legislation on the matter. The Washington Examiner reported last week:

Sen. Joni Ernst (R-IA) introduced a bill on Monday that would block President Joe Biden from giving a State of the Union address if he doesn’t submit his budget and national security proposal on time. Congressional Republicans are backing the Send Us Budget Materials & International Tactics In Time, or SUBMIT IT, Act, which would bar leadership from inviting the president to give the State of the Union address until Congress has received his budget and national security strategy.

Part of what makes all of this odd is the fact that the White House could submit budget blueprints and national security strategies to Capitol Hill, but congressional Republicans would probably ignore them. There’s a congressional maxim that’s been around for a while related to the budget process: The president proposes, Congress disposes. With this in mind, Ernst is effectively saying, “Give us a budget that we’ll quickly discard or you won’t get a SOTU invitation.”

Another relevant angle is the fact that these circumstances are becoming increasingly common. As we discussed last week, prominent figures on the right raised the prospect of denying State of the Union addresses to Bill Clinton and Barack Obama during their respective presidencies, and apparently the idea continues to linger.

But what I find especially odd about all of this is these Republicans’ motivations. Is the GOP really that concerned that Biden’s State of the Union remarks will go well?

As President Joe Biden prepares to deliver his latest State of the Union address, it stands to reason that there are Republican members of Congress who aren’t eager to hear the Democrat’s remarks. But more notable are the GOP lawmakers who’d like to prevent the speech from even happening.

Last week, for example, Rep. Scott Perry raised the specter of rescinding Biden’s invitation. “He comes at the invitation of Congress, and Republicans are in control of the House,” the Pennsylvania Republican told Fox Business’ Maria Bartiromo. “There’s no reason that we need to invite him to get more propaganda.”

Exactly one week later, Sen. Joni Ernst sat down with the same Fox host and pushed a related message.

“It is unfathomable that we do not have a national security strategy from the president, nor do we have his budget for the upcoming fiscal year,” the Iowa Republican said. “And because of that, we want to stop him from actually delivering the State of the Union.”

When the senator referenced “we,” she was apparently referring to proponents of her legislation on the matter. The Washington Examiner reported last week:

Sen. Joni Ernst (R-IA) introduced a bill on Monday that would block President Joe Biden from giving a State of the Union address if he doesn’t submit his budget and national security proposal on time. Congressional Republicans are backing the Send Us Budget Materials & International Tactics In Time, or SUBMIT IT, Act, which would bar leadership from inviting the president to give the State of the Union address until Congress has received his budget and national security strategy.

Part of what makes all of this odd is the fact that the White House could submit budget blueprints and national security strategies to Capitol Hill, but congressional Republicans would probably ignore them. There’s a congressional maxim that’s been around for a while related to the budget process: The president proposes, Congress disposes. With this in mind, Ernst is effectively saying, “Give us a budget that we’ll quickly discard or you won’t get a SOTU invitation.”

Another relevant angle is the fact that these circumstances are becoming increasingly common. As we discussed last week, prominent figures on the right raised the prospect of denying State of the Union addresses to Bill Clinton and Barack Obama during their respective presidencies, and apparently the idea continues to linger.

But what I find especially odd about all of this is these Republicans’ motivations. Is the GOP really that concerned that Biden’s State of the Union remarks will go well?
Republicans are pathetic. Own your shit, Joni.

Your party was just overruled 9-0 on trying keep to prevent the public from voting for a candidate.
Now do Trump from November 2020 until today...you don't seem to have any trouble with him denying the results and trying to steal an election. This is something that Republicans learned from and are attempting again later this year. NYT article about it yesterday. More attacks on Democracy and you don't care. Hypocrite.

Reactions: BGHAWK
This is what happens when one side fears hearing the truth.
Or what happens when a voter base is comprised almost entirely of people that have judged themselves as morally superior to those with differing opinions or have full-on embraced the delusion that they are involved in a struggle of good vs evil.

Reactions: Tom Paris
I ate a donut with her once, in her office. I know, I know, all of you are jealous. Seriously though, she's much smaller in person, and Chuckles has black rotten teeth.

Surprised she didn't have coitis with you. She is known for that in the military ranks
I'm a civilian. I do admire people like you who actually served. I will say the biggest weirdo I ever met was Steve King. Jim Nussle was a close second. Person that kicked ass was Tammy Duckworth. She had her helicopter tail rotor blade framed in her office. She of the missing legs fame.

Reactions: BGHAWK
I'm a civilian. I do admire people like you who actually served. I will say the biggest weirdo I ever met was Steve King. Jim Nussle was a close second. Person that kicked ass was Tammy Duckworth. She had her helicopter tail rotor blade framed in her office. She of the missing legs fame.

I once told King to f' off because he was talking out of his ass to me about Iraq. Tom Latham is the only person in Iowa that has represented Iowan's with character in D.C.

Edit: and Jim Leach

Did King mistake you for a waiter or some other servant type?

• Haha
Reactions: GOHOX69
Your party was just overruled 9-0 on trying keep to prevent the public from voting for a candidate.
Sure. What do you think of our scared little mouse of a senator being too afraid to listen to Biden's speech? Or, rather, her ridiculous pandering to the cult with a moronic move like this?

Reactions: Jimmy McGill
I wonder what King's doing these days with his Congressional Retirement.

I'd take out retirement for Congressmen. Might solve the term limits problem.

Reactions: lucas80
Did King mistake you for a waiter or some other servant type?
Haha, I actually would have wished that. He was too busy showing me Iraqi currency. For some reason, he had stash after stash of old Iraqi currency on a coffee table.

Makes zero sense. R’s are soooo bad at this.

Let the speech go on repubs. If Johnson doesn't like it, he can just tear it up.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT