ADVERTISEMENT

Josh Dix

Totally disagree. If you watched Dix in Big play he has a killer 15 foot fadeaway jump shot from the free throw line that is unstoppable. He also is able to drive and shoot over smaller guards. He absolutely is a shot creator, he just needs to be more selfish.

I think the truth lies somewhere in between both your arguments. Dix is really tough to defend on the pull up mid range, can generally get near the rim and is a solid defender. But he also was shown to be neutralized (largely) against some teams. He does need to be more selfish/aggressive, and he is still developing.

There's still a low ceiling with FranBall until someone figures out how to play some semblance of defense.

Anybody that watched yesterday's sweet 16 games can see above average defense won all those games except the Purdue game.

There's still a low ceiling with FranBall until someone figures out how to play some semblance of defense.

Anybody that watched yesterday's sweet 16 games can see above average defense won all those games except the Purdue game.
two defensive teams made sweet sixteen. ISU & SDSU. Both terrible on offensive end.

I see mediocre bball in our Hawkeye hoops future; Franball is ok and attracts certain players but our recruitment network/base is weak and arbitrary and our persona is white guy dominant and focused on long and lean athletes that don’t really like the weight room.

We know

• Love
Reactions: Rambler Hawk
Not sure Dix is an NBA player, and Weiskamp is probably a decent comparison. Personally, I think Josh is a better all-round player than Payton. Payton is an incredible streak shooter, but can't stay in front of anyone on defense.

I think sometimes people forget how few college players make it in the NBA. Weiskamp is a good example, just not a consistent enough shooter from what I can tell. I feel like he tested well athletically but not sure it completely translates to the floor.

Dix would have to really max out his abilities, but elite shooting is a good place to start.

The issue with FranBall and a guy like Dix is team growth does not include physicality expectations. What does this mean? It means Fran will not coach Dix to gain more all around skills including defense. If it happens it will be by Dix on his own much like whatever came of Garza and the Murray’s for their respective games. It’s why Iowa bball is where it is.

The issue with FranBall and a guy like Dix is team growth does not include physicality expectations. What does this mean? It means Fran will not coach Dix to gain more all around skills including defense. If it happens it will be by Dix on his own much like whatever came of Garza and the Murray’s for their respective games. It’s why Iowa bball is where it is.
I’ve heard this over and over, but at the risk of sounding too glib/simplistic…in this day & age, by the time a player is at the college level…shouldn’t they already know how to play defense?

Reactions: hawksense
I’ve heard this over and over, but at the risk of sounding too glib/simplistic…in this day & age, by the time a player is at the college level…shouldn’t they already know how to play defense?
Hardly any do. Have you been to an AAU tournament?

Reactions: Garzatough85
Hardly any do. Have you been to an AAU tournament?
Yeah, I’ve been to AAU games, but those are all about offense to get noticed by scouts. Whereas, when they play high school ball, there is more/better defense played.

Yeah, I’ve been to AAU games, but those are all about offense to get noticed by scouts. Whereas, when they play high school ball, there is more/better defense played.
Defense is as much attitude as it is scheming by the coaching staff; Franball attitude is matador defense and rebounding which comes back to the lack of physicality by this Iowa coaching regime.

I think sometimes people forget how few college players make it in the NBA. Weiskamp is a good example, just not a consistent enough shooter from what I can tell. I feel like he tested well athletically but not sure it completely translates to the floor.

Dix would have to really max out his abilities, but elite shooting is a good place to start.
I'll say the same thing I did about Kris.

6'5 to 6'9 guys that can defend multiple positions and shoot %40+ usually end up in the NBA.

I don't think Iowa fans understand how good of a defender Dix is because it gets lots in the terrible team defense Iowa plays. He's one of the best defenders in the conference and hes only a soph.

Weiskamp isn't comparable on the defensive end and while he was a great 3pt shooter he wasn't as good at creating shots off the bounce either.

Defense is as much attitude as it is scheming by the coaching staff; Franball attitude is matador defense and rebounding which comes back to the lack of physicality by this Iowa coaching regime.
Attitude (effort) yes, but attention to detail and communication are just as important.

You have to recognize where the offense is trying to go before they get there. And understand what your teammate is doing to stop that and what you have to do based on what they do.

I agree there's no desire for defense from Fran and that effects the mindset of his players.

The upperclassman are not interested in putting their body between the man and the basket when the ball is going towards the hoop.

I'm just guessing but I'll bet Iowa took the least amount of charges in the conference despite having games with some of the highest number of possessions.

At some point the players need to recognize they lose due to inability or unwillingness to defend. Hold each other accountable, even if the coaches don't. I know I'd be frustrated by someone's lack of effort... not naming names as that's already been beaten to death here.

At some point the players need to recognize they lose due to inability or unwillingness to defend. Hold each other accountable, even if the coaches don't. I know I'd be frustrated by someone's lack of effort... not naming names as that's already been beaten to death here.
Great coaches teach great defense, but defense is also contagious and a good leader will make everyone else play better D. I think maybe Freeman has the potential to do that.

I'll say the same thing I did about Kris.

6'5 to 6'9 guys that can defend multiple positions and shoot %40+ usually end up in the NBA.

I don't think Iowa fans understand how good of a defender Dix is because it gets lots in the terrible team defense Iowa plays. He's one of the best defenders in the conference and hes only a soph.

Weiskamp isn't comparable on the defensive end and while he was a great 3pt shooter he wasn't as good at creating shots off the bounce either.

I was just using Weiskamp as an example of a guy who seemed to check enough boxes but had yet to make it. Was not directly comparing him to Dix. Also, Weezy tested extremely well at the combine, 6’7”, 6’11” wingspan, 42” vertical, and 4th out of 55 in shuttle.

And Kris vs Dix are completely different players. Kris has length and athleticism that Dix will never have. Though his shooting better improve.

Look, I like Dix and he is at a key development point of his career. I am just providing some context and opinion based on what I have seen and what I project in near future. He seems to have just enough athleticism and is a great shooter. He has been a solid defender though.

If he can maintain his 40%+ clip from deep on higher volume then he has a decent chance. And assuming he will continue to develop his overall game.

Great coaches teach great defense, but defense is also contagious and a good leader will make everyone else play better D. I think maybe Freeman has the potential to do that.
I agree.... and I also have a feeling you may be Freeman's dad...& IllHawk is Harding's grandpa. lol

• Haha
Reactions: Mohawkeye
Let me guess, Krikke and Patrick are gone so those two are not on your radar. You're already on Dix's bandwagon as the best defender on the Iowa team. Owen with 61 blocks and averaged almost 5 boards a game, nope, Payton, really, averaged 16.4 points a game and 6 6 rebounds a game, not the greatest of foot speed but not the worst defender on the team, Dembele, his was asked to play on the perimeter so not him, the only other player not mentioned is Brock, your favorite player of all time. Did I narrow it down for you?
Because you haven't come back with a snide remark yet, I'll beat you to it. Harding is going to be at Iowa for the next 3 years just to torment you, a looooonnnnng 3 years!

Last edited:
Let me guess, Krikke and Patrick are gone so those two are not on your radar. You're already on Dix's bandwagon as the best defender on the Iowa team. Owen with 61 blocks and averaged almost 5 boards a game, nope, Payton, really, averaged 16.4 points a game and 6 6 rebounds a game, not the greatest of foot speed but not the worst defender on the team, Dembele, his was asked to play on the perimeter so not him, the only other player not mentioned is Brock, your favorite player of all time. Did I narrow it down for you?
Nope, no need to narrow it down at all. The team as a collective sucked defensively. Dix was the only one who impressed. Freeman did well, but was outweighed by 30lbs almost every night in the post & had way too many ticky tack fouls. Needs to clean that up.

I’d say Dix is on the same trajectory of Joe W (Weezy), he might get drafted but I just don’t see him making a living playing in the NBA.

I think it was posted that Weezy has something like $2-$3 million in career NBA earniings. The bar for making a living is just sticking for enough games to earn the NBA minimum.

Weezy had better size, better athlete, better rebounder, could only go to his right, didn't put out max effort on defense

Dix better handles, has better off hand, better dribble drive/has nice fadeaway, and a lot better on defense.

Reactions: Rambler Hawk
Because you haven't come back with a snide remark yet, I'll beat you to it. Harding is going to be at Iowa for the next 3 years just to torment you, a looooonnnnng 3 years!

you shouldn't take it personal if soeone has different opinion.

I think it was posted that Weezy has something like $2-$3 million in career NBA earniings. The bar for making a living is just sticking for enough games to earn the NBA minimum.

Weezy had better size, better athlete, better rebounder, could only go to his right, didn't put out max effort on defense

Dix better handles, has better off hand, better dribble drive/has nice fadeaway, and a lot better on defense.

I think Dix is a better athlete, certainly quicker. Obviously doesn’t have the length and rebounding ability Weisy had. Higher ceiling in my estimation because he defends and can create his own shot.

How about better fans, you could move on, along with the rest of the insufferable negative morons on here. A lot cheaper too!
?
Wow, and negative on your fellow fans. Where else but a message board can fans vent and debate their team(s)?
I’m surprised you’re on here if it’s that annoying for you. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Sorry I hurted your little feelings.

Or wait no, no I am not.
You're not hurting my feelings, but you and others are making yourself miserable. I have great promise for next years team. the four sophomores should be better, Payton, Dix, the 2 incoming freshmen. and yes the addition of Mulvey, drives you nuts just thinking of him doesn't it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT