ADVERTISEMENT

JuJu Watkins has 51 points. #4 Stanford loses at home to #15 USC, 67-58

University of Spoiled Children won 65-56. only 51 for Juju

Last edited:
So is Clark's scoring record gonna be broken just 3 years from now?....................

I wondered the same thing but then I realized it will never be broken if Caitlin comes back for a 5th year!

Think About It GIF by Identity

Not many assists for her I’d guess. That‘s the thing that a lot of people don’t realize about CC. After the NW game she was leading the country in both points and assists. That is insane.
Just checked out the box score. Watkins had 2 assists. The rest of the team had a total of 3. 5 assists total for the team. Not much passing I guess.

How about this for dreaming… Iowa grabs Juju from the portal for next year, and we keep this train running down the track.

In all seriousness, if you are a superstar, why wouldn‘t you think about transferring to Iowa next year? Massive fan base that seems to be unparalleled in women’s sports right now, solid supporting cast, potential for decent NIL, etc. And if you are Iowa, why wouldn’t you make a run at someone like Juju to ride this wave. Iowa will be a solid/good team next year without CC, but only if we add a superstar will be continue to be a great/championship team.

How about this for dreaming… Iowa grabs Juju from the portal for next year, and we keep this train running down the track.

In all seriousness, if you are a superstar, why wouldn‘t you think about transferring to Iowa next year? Massive fan base that seems to be unparalleled in women’s sports right now, solid supporting cast, potential for decent NIL, etc. And if you are Iowa, why wouldn’t you make a run at someone like Juju to ride this wave. Iowa will be a solid/good team next year without CC, but only if we add a superstar will be continue to be a great/championship team.
I like your thinking.

The game looked like it was moving slow. Iowa plays at a faster tempo and Clark seems to be quicker than JuJu. I'm sure she is a great player, though.

Reactions: mtown66
Defenses will be able to figure out how to slow her down some—surely not totally—and let the rest of team NOT beat them. Let her have her 35 and win 60-50.

Reactions: Slim45
Very good shooter, obviously, appears to have a big frame to free up some space to get her shot off. But definitely not very quick. Play tight physical D and force her into the paint and quit falling for her jab step fakes. I watched 2/3 of that video and she didn’t make it past the ft line one time.
Obviously this observation is from just over a minute of highlight tape so take it for what it’s worth 😂

We aren't "inclusive enough" in the minds of a certain population (very true story btw about that being how they feel about Iowa).......................

Perception matters.

How tall is Juju? It looked like she was getting a lot of uncontested shots especially from 3-point range.

Very good shooter, obviously, appears to have a big frame to free up some space to get her shot off. But definitely not very quick. Play tight physical D and force her into the paint and quit falling for her jab step fakes. I watched 2/3 of that video and she didn’t make it past the ft line one time.
Obviously this observation is from just over a minute of highlight tape so take it for what it’s worth 😂

How tall is Juju? It looked like she was getting a lot of uncontested shots especially from 3-point range.

Juju is listed at 6'2

How about this for dreaming… Iowa grabs Juju from the portal for next year, and we keep this train running down the track. In all seriousness, if you are a superstar, why wouldn‘t you think about transferring to Iowa next year? Massive fan base that seems to be unparalleled in women’s sports right now, solid supporting cast, potential for decent NIL, etc. And if you are Iowa, why wouldn’t you make a run at someone like Juju to ride this wave. Iowa will be a solid/good team next year without CC, but only if we add a superstar will be continue to be a great/championship team.

In Juju's case, she was born in Los Angeles and she played high school ball at Sierra Canyon High School in Los Angeles.

She said in the postgame that she loves that it's easy for friends and family to come watch her play. I don't think any school is gonna be able to pry her away from USC.

Reactions: BirdistheWord
It’s good for the game to have another superstar. Hope they end up being like Magic & Bird.
Except in college anyway, they will never play each other unless we play them in the tourney. I just think its funny people talking about her breaking a record that, a) Clark doesn't even have yet. and b) will take four lllooonnnggg years to get to. Countless things can happen. People figure out how to slow her down. Clark beats this because she's an elite passer so doubling her can give up easy buckets. Injuries over a number of years. How many games she plays in. Making a long run in the tourney each year can mean hundreds of extra points. She was born in July of 2005, so she'd have to be in college four years also I believe, UNLESS they change the rule that they must be 22 years old or 4 years out of high school. Lots of factors and lots of things can happen....

One of the TV announcers, in the postgame interview of Juju, said "Caitlin Clark, who?" Juju quickly disagreed with that nonsense.

Only 4 USC players scored tonight.

51: Juju Watkins
12: McKenzie Forbes (starter)
2: Rayah Marshall (starter)
2: Clarice Akunwafo (off the bench)

I mentioned this last night. Classy response.

51 points is amazing, it is fun to have another great player emerge.

Watkins effective FG ptg this year is .480. Clark's career low is .524 and her career average is .566.

Reactions: littlez
In Juju's case, she was born in Los Angeles and she played high school ball at Sierra Canyon High School in Los Angeles.

She said in the postgame that she loves that it's easy for friends and family to come watch her play. I don't think any school is gonna be able to pry her away from USC.
UCLA?

So is Clark's scoring record gonna be broken just 3 years from now?....................

Assuming Caitlin moves on to the WNBA, I am afraid it's going to be close.

And as long as JuJu stays healthy, I think it will come down to total games played.

28.0 ppg so far for JuJu in 22 games played
28.3 ppg for Caitlin in 126 games played

USC writers are already wondering if JuJu will pass Caitlin.

The story:

USC Women's Basketball: Can JuJu Watkins Break Caitlin Clark's New Scoring Record?

Or are we crazy for asking?

In scoring 49 points Thursday night, six-foot senior superstar guard Caitlin Clark found herself improving her all-time career tally to a women's college basketball record of 3,569 points.

All told, she notched 49 points, 13 boards and five dimes during a 106-89 win over the Michigan Wolverines on Thursday night. Here's the moment she shattered the prior record, now-Las Vegas Aces All-Star guard Kelsey Plum's 3,527 career points, achieved over the course of 139 contests with the Washington Huskies from 2013-17.

Clark has "only" played in 126 games, and has four regular season contests yet with which she can further extend her new record.

On the year, the Naismith Women’s College Player of the Year favorite is averaging a league-leading 32.8 points on .475/.399/.857 shooting splits, along with 8.5 assists, 6.9 rebounds, 1.7 steals and 0.6 blocks per bout.

The second-leading scorer in college plays for your USC Trojans. That'd be freshman wing JuJu Watkins, another player on this season's Naismith CPFOTY shortlist.

It's insanely early to wonder this, but is there a possibility that Watkins, who's been an absolute lights-out scorer thus far during her brief collegiate run, could one day lap Clark?

Obviously health will play a major factor in any serious run, but leaving that aside, Watkins' 28.0 points per game across 22 contests (615 points total) for the 19-4 Trojans is 1.40 points better than Clark's 26.6 points in 30 games during her freshman season, 2020-21. But there are so many innumerable possible extenuating circumstances (quality and scoring needs of her teammates being perhaps most imperative) that it's probably way too early to think about this. Let's put a pin in it until Watkins' year.

Assuming Caitlin moves on to the WNBA, I am afraid it's going to be close.

And as long as JuJu stays healthy, I think it will come down to total games played.

28.0 ppg so far for JuJu in 22 games played
28.3 ppg for Caitlin in 126 games played

USC writers are already wondering if JuJu will pass Caitlin.

The story:

USC Women's Basketball: Can JuJu Watkins Break Caitlin Clark's New Scoring Record?

Or are we crazy for asking?

In scoring 49 points Thursday night, six-foot senior superstar guard Caitlin Clark found herself improving her all-time career tally to a women's college basketball record of 3,569 points.

All told, she notched 49 points, 13 boards and five dimes during a 106-89 win over the Michigan Wolverines on Thursday night. Here's the moment she shattered the prior record, now-Las Vegas Aces All-Star guard Kelsey Plum's 3,527 career points, achieved over the course of 139 contests with the Washington Huskies from 2013-17.

Clark has "only" played in 126 games, and has four regular season contests yet with which she can further extend her new record.

On the year, the Naismith Women’s College Player of the Year favorite is averaging a league-leading 32.8 points on .475/.399/.857 shooting splits, along with 8.5 assists, 6.9 rebounds, 1.7 steals and 0.6 blocks per bout.

The second-leading scorer in college plays for your USC Trojans. That'd be freshman wing JuJu Watkins, another player on this season's Naismith CPFOTY shortlist.

It's insanely early to wonder this, but is there a possibility that Watkins, who's been an absolute lights-out scorer thus far during her brief collegiate run, could one day lap Clark?

Obviously health will play a major factor in any serious run, but leaving that aside, Watkins' 28.0 points per game across 22 contests (615 points total) for the 19-4 Trojans is 1.40 points better than Clark's 26.6 points in 30 games during her freshman season, 2020-21. But there are so many innumerable possible extenuating circumstances (quality and scoring needs of her teammates being perhaps most imperative) that it's probably way too early to think about this. Let's put a pin in it until Watkins' year.

Yeah it’s weird because Clark’s freshman season was during covid which messes everything up plus she missed some games. I do think it’ll be close because USC is using Watkins way more than Clark - 22.2 FGA per game vs 19.9. If Watkins gets the record it’ll be on a much higher fga. Plus Clark clears her in every other category except steals. I will say that USC’s incoming class of freshman are super good so I could see jujus utilization going down

Yeah it’s weird because Clark’s freshman season was during covid which messes everything up plus she missed some games. I do think it’ll be close because USC is using Watkins way more than Clark - 22.2 FGA per game vs 19.9. If Watkins gets the record it’ll be on a much higher fga. Plus Clark clears her in every other category except steals. I will say that USC’s incoming class of freshman are super good so I could see jujus utilization going down
Wonder if there will be talk of asterisks in 3 years because of CC’s 9 missed games that were entirely out of her control because of COVID. That’s about 1/4 of a season, meaning more than 6% of her 4-year career was skipped. We know everyone outside of the state wants to put an asterisk on CC. (That’s hyperbole, but founded with a bit of truth)

Doesn’t matter to me. If she does it, good for her.

I count 8 games lost in Caitlin's first 2 years. We're talking roughly 216 points that could be added to her current total (27 ppg x 8 games).

(1) 6 games lost in 2020-2021

Caitlin lost at least 6 games due to covid during the 2020-2021 season.

Iowa ended up playing just 23 regular season games in 2020-2021. This season we are playing 30 regular season games. So that's 6 or 7 regular season games that were lost due to covid (some reg seasons are just 29 games, not 30).

Some other notes:

* The Iowa women's first game of the 2020-2021 season was not until Nov 25, 2020.

* Iowa only played 4 nonconference games (they were only allowed up to 5 nonconference games).

* The game at Rutgers was postponed and never made up.

* In the end, Iowa (20-10) only played 30 games that season.

4 Nonconf
(UNI, Drake, Iowa St, W. Ill)
19 Reg Season (of the orig 20) Conf Games
4 B1G Tournament Games
3 NCAA Tournament games

Here was their 2020-2021 schedule & results (note the postponements & rescheduling due to covid):

Here's a couple good stories regarding that season:

* Iowa WBB announced its 2020-21 WBB schedule just 2 days before the season was officially slated to begin. Iowa was scheduled to play 20 conference games and 4 non-conference games in 2020-21.

* Each school was supposed to play a 20-game Big Ten schedule (adding 2 conference games from the previous two years), and could play up to 5 non-conference games.

(2) 2 games lost in 2021-2022

Here was their 2021-2022 schedule. What a mess! 3 games got canceled & 1 game (Evansville) got added in the middle of the season for a net loss of 2 games. Note, too, that there were several games that got postponed and eventually played later.

2021-2022 Games Canceled due to Covid:
Nov 21, 2021 vs Drake
Nov 25, 2021 vs Seton Hall (Cancun Challenge)
Nov 26, 2021 vs USC (Cancun Challenge)

The Jan 2nd, 2022 game vs Illinois was postponed & the Jan 2nd game vs Evansville was added just to get a game in.

From the Jan 2, 2022 game recap:

"I want to thank Evansville for coming,” said Lisa Bluder. “We need games, we need reps, and we needed to get going by someone other than ourselves. We hope to play Thursday against Northwestern, but this game against Evansville gave us an opportunity to play before Big Ten play resumes.”

Here's CC's numbers her first 3 years:

Year: Points Scored
2021: 799 (30 games).................26.6 ppg
2022: 863 (32 games)..................27.0 ppg
2023: 1,055 (38 games)...............27.8 ppg

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT