ADVERTISEMENT

JuJu Watkins has 51 points. #4 Stanford loses at home to #15 USC, 67-58

It's an individual record in a team sport. In the end it's not that important who's holding the record
?? Really. Is that what watching THAT game, this season and the fan attraction in person and on TV tells you?
Records are made to be broken. There's always going to be an individual that comes along to break whatever record. Just enjoy the moment.

Records are made to be broken. There's always going to be an individual that comes along to break whatever record. Just enjoy the moment.
Obviously, BUT that doesn't make it not important. Thats just a stupid comment. Are you REALLY saying that all those people paying 5-10 face value tickets to see her play, and all the people watching on Tv that have NEVER watched womens basketball don't think it matters at this moment? And frankly its not JUST the record. Its how she's doing it. With flair. with 40 point double doubles three times in the last calender year, something NO man or woman has done ONCE in the last 30 years of college basketball.....

Without the pandemic, CC would be close to 3,800 points right now and would have around 4,073 points by the end of this season.

3,569 pts now
+ 216 (27 ppg x 8 games lost to covid FR & SO years)
3,785 points
+288 (32 ppg this season x 9 games left*)
4,073 projected pts at end of this season factoring in covid

*9 games = 4 reg season + at least 2 B1G Tourney games + at least 3 NCAA Tourney games

Last edited:
Reactions: hawkeye_wx
Juju has missed a couple of games this year, but has 615 points. CC had 799 points her freshman year. Juju will more than likely end her freshman year with more points than CC, as she has a minimum of 6 games left, but probably will have 8-10 games.

It’s a little premature IMO to talk about her passing CC. She has 3 years of having to stay healthy and the longer she plays, the more that teams will scout and plan for her.

6-32 fg’s is crazy, and not in a good way.

Regarding
I count 9 games lost in Caitlin's first 2 years. We're talking roughly 243 points that could be added to her current total (27 ppg x 9 games).

(1) 6 games lost in 2020-2021

Caitlin lost at least 6 games due to covid during the 2020-2021 season.

Iowa ended up playing just 23 regular season games in 2020-2021. This season we are playing 30 regular season games. So that's 6 or 7 regular season games that were lost due to covid (some reg seasons are just 29 games, not 30).

Some other notes:

* The Iowa women's first game of the 2020-2021 season was not until Nov 25, 2020.

* Iowa only played 4 nonconference games (they were only allowed up to 5 nonconference games).

* The game at Rutgers was postponed and never made up.

* In the end, Iowa (20-10) only played 30 games that season.

4 Nonconf
(UNI, Drake, Iowa St, W. Ill)
19 Reg Season (of the orig 20) Conf Games
4 B1G Tournament Games
3 NCAA Tournament games

Here was their 2020-2021 schedule & results (note the postponements & rescheduling due to covid):

Here's a couple good stories regarding that season:

* Iowa WBB announced its 2020-21 WBB schedule just 2 days before the season was officially slated to begin. Iowa was scheduled to play 20 conference games and 4 non-conference games in 2020-21.

* Each school was supposed to play a 20-game Big Ten schedule (adding 2 conference games from the previous two years), and could play up to 5 non-conference games.

(2) 3 games lost in 2021-2022

Here was their 2021-2022 schedule. What a mess! 3 games got canceled but there were several games that got postponed and eventually played later.

2021-2022 Games Canceled due to Covid:
Nov 21, 2021 vs Drake
Nov 25, 2021 vs Seton Hall (Cancun Challenge)
Nov 26, 2021 vs USC (Cancun Challenge)

Here's CC's numbers her first 3 years:

Year: Points Scored
2021: 799 (30 games).................26.6 ppg
2022: 863 (32 games)..................27.0 ppg
2023: 1,055 (38 games)...............27.8 ppg
Regarding the 2021-2022 season and the 3 cancelled game, I read somewhere that Iowa in fact also added a game to the schedule. As I reexamined the schedule, you can see that the game vs. Illinois on Jan 2. was postponed. However, Iowa did play a game on that day, vs. Evansville. That's the game that was added to the schedule. So, we should probably say 2 games were lost in the 2021-2022 season.

Reactions: Franisdaman
Regarding

Regarding the 2021-2022 season and the 3 cancelled game, I read somewhere that Iowa in fact also added a game to the schedule. As I reexamined the schedule, you can see that the game vs. Illinois on Jan 2. was postponed. However, Iowa did play a game on that day, vs. Evansville. That's the game that was added to the schedule. So, we should probably say 2 games were lost in the 2021-2022 season.

Good catch. I see now that the Jan 2nd, 2022 game vs Illinois was postponed & the Jan 2nd game vs Evansville was added.

Imagine if Swoopes was as good as a researcher as you! ;)

From the Jan 2, 2022 game recap:

"I want to thank Evansville for coming,” said Lisa Bluder. “We need games, we need reps, and we needed to get going by someone other than ourselves. We hope to play Thursday against Northwestern, but this game against Evansville gave us an opportunity to play before Big Ten play resumes.”

Reactions: UpstreamHawkeye
Regarding

I updated my post above to this:

Without the pandemic, CC would be close to 3,800 points right now and would have around 4,073 points by the end of this season.

3,569 pts now
+ 216 (27 ppg x 8 games lost to covid FR & SO years)
3,785 points
+288 (32 ppg this season x 9 games left*)
4,073 projected pts at end of this season factoring in covid

*9 games = 4 reg season + at least 2 B1G Tourney games + at least 3 NCAA Tourney games

Reactions: UpstreamHawkeye
Friday night JuJu had 42 points as #7 USC beat #11 Colorado 87-81.

JuJu is currently averaging 28.1 ppg in 24 games played. USC has 3 reg season games left + the PAC 12 Tourney + the NCAA Tourney.

30+ games: JuJu likely will play her freshman year
30 games: what CC played her freshman year (CC lost 6 games to covid)

28.1 ppg: JuJu's current career average over 24 games.
28.3 ppg: Caitlin's current career average over 127 games.

103: current games played difference betw CC & JuJu. JuJu, of course, has 3 more years to play; 34 games/yr x 3 yrs = 102.

As long as JuJu keeps up with 28 ppg, it will come down to games played on whether she can pass CC on the all time scoring list in 2027.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT