ADVERTISEMENT

Just lost our best chance at Gold

mizzoufan90

HR MVP
Dec 9, 2007
J’den is out apparently. Well, there goes our only gold medal threat. Thanks USA wrestling for your joke procedures.

Reactions: fronk71

I mean, if this is really the report, it's mindboggling Team USA would not include him.

Honestly if I were wrestling I'd tell them to include him. Zero advantage gained from weighing in one minute late.
Advantage or no advantage, thems the rules. The only mind boggling part of this is that he didn’t step on the scale on time. There is no way USAW could allow him to compete - fast track to litigation.

Reactions: el dub
I'm sorry but this is just idiotic. If he made weight I don't care if it was mat side as long as he did it before the match. I will say a guy going up in weight needs to not put himself in that position. He did the equivalent of stalling and left it in the refs hands.

Last edited:
Advantage or no advantage, thems the rules. The only mind boggling part of this is that he didn’t step on the scale on time. There is no way USAW could allow him to compete - fast track to litigation.

So J'Den was late to weigh ins, but made weight and isn't allowed to compete, but Daton Fix who was supposed to serve a 4 year suspension is able to compete because he's a good liar. Nice.

So J'Den was late to weigh ins, but made weight and isn't allowed to compete, but Daton Fix who was supposed to serve a 4 year suspension is able to compete because he's a good liar. Nice.
That’s the rules man, I didn’t make them.
Making weight on time is wrestling 101. It’s the equivalent of allowing a td that occurred after the buzzer.

I disagree with this argument entirely. I actually think it would be better to let him compete and possibly have litigation. I would NOT want to make the argument that a strict liability standard should be utilized for something where both the extra time was immaterial AND weighing in closer to competition is a detriment, if anything.

Really there is no loss suffered by any of the other competitors by virtue of having him weigh in a minute late.

I disagree with this argument entirely. I actually think it would be better to let him compete and possibly have litigation. I would NOT want to make the argument that a strict liability standard should be utilized for something where both the extra time was immaterial AND weighing in closer to competition is a detriment, if anything.

Really there is no loss suffered by any of the other competitors by virtue of having him weigh in a minute late.
Yes there is. They could very easily make the argument that he wouldn’t have made weight. If he would have stepped on the scale on time, he would have been over. However, he had extra time to lose weight that others were not afforded.
Have you guys ever wrestled before?

I'm sorry but this is just idiotic. If he made weight I don't care if it was mat side as long as he did it before the match. I will say a guy going up in weight needs to not put himself in that position. He did the equivalent of stalling and left it in the refs hands.
That is not the equivalent. It’s the equivalent of him scoring a TD after the final buzzer.

Not in the refs hands at all, it is clearly in the rules. Refs can’t change the rules.

Yes there is. They could very easily make the argument that he wouldn’t have made weight. If he would have stepped on the scale on time, he would have been over. However, he had extra time to lose weight that others were not afforded.
Yeah, we were all eager to weigh in as close to competition as possible. Lmao get real.

This is embarrassing. If I were wrestling in that bracket I'd demand he wrestle. Any reasonable competitor would.

That is not the equivalent. It’s the equivalent of him scoring a TD after the final buzzer.

Not in the refs hands at all, it is clearly in the rules. Refs can’t change the rules.
I'm gonna let you think about why these two situations are not analogous.

The J'Den situation is more like the IRS fining me because I paid my taxes too early.

Reactions: LIV4GOD
Yeah, we were all eager to weigh in as close to competition as possible. Lmao get real.

This is embarrassing. If I were wrestling in that bracket I'd demand he wrestle. Any reasonable competitor would.
No they wouldn’t. Every wrestler, especially at this level, understands the rules. They’ve been weighing in their whole lives. There is a last call for weigh ins.

No they wouldn’t. Every wrestler, especially at this level, understands the rules. They’ve been weighing in their whole lives. There is a last call for weigh ins.
And, again, he walked over there while the scales were open and made weight just after they technically closed.

I would actually be with you if he MISSED weight his last time. But the reason there is a weigh in clock is for administration of the event, not so a wrestler doesn't get an advantage.

Is it worth it keeping him out, especially at the Olympic trials where Team USA has a job to help select the best team available, because of a 1-minute late weigh in that gave him no advantage and also didn't impair the administration of the event? Of course not

And, again, he walked over there while the scales were open and made weight just after they technically closed.

I would actually be with you if he MISSED weight his last time. But the reason there is a weigh in clock is for administration of the event, not so a wrestler doesn't get an advantage.

Is it worth it keeping him out, especially at the Olympic trials where Team USA has a job to help select the best team available, because of a 1-minute late weigh in that gave him no advantage and also didn't impair the administration of the event? Of course not
Stop arguing with facts and reason. @crablegs1 is a stooge.

I hate hearing this news...but Crabs is right...them's the rules. If you are going to relax that one...which other rules are you going to ignore to get the "right" wrestler on the team?

I
this is exactly why it’s unfair. If he would have stepped on at the same time as everyone else, he would have missed. So why does he get extra time to lose the weight? Maybe Snyder had to really bust his ass to get that weight off right on time. Jden gets extra time to take it a little easier and lose the weight more slowly?

How long should he get? He has a bye all the weigh til the semis. Should he get until 6:30 tonight to weigh in? How is that fair to someone like Zillmer who maybe had to wake up at 3am to start his cut?

Reactions: Rhino80
Stop arguing with facts and reason. @crablegs1 is a stooge.
He is really misunderstanding why there is a weigh-in clock to begin with. His comparison to someone scoring a TD after time expires in a game is evidence of that.

We all get that a wrestler can't weigh in an hour later. The event has to be administered. In this case, no advantage was gained and the administration of the event wasn't harmed. In fact, them letting him get on the scale at all is pretty good evidence of that.

This is a draconian penalty for a technical violation of a rule for which a wrestler gained zero advantage.

this is exactly why it’s unfair. If he would have stepped on at the same time as everyone else, he would have missed. So why does he get extra time to lose the weight? Maybe Snyder had to really bust his ass to get that weight off right on time. Jden gets extra time to take it a little easier and lose the weight more slowly?

How long should he get? He has a bye all the weigh til the semis. Should he get until 6:30 tonight to weigh in? How is that fair to someone like Zillmer who maybe had to wake up at 3am to start his cut?
This is a disingenuous argument based on facts not in evidence. If he's walking over there to weigh in during the time period, and then makes weight a minute later, no reasonable person would conclude he would have missed weight during the time. It was an immaterial timing violation. Again, that they let him weigh in at all is evidence of the fact that it was an immaterial technical violation.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT