ADVERTISEMENT

Just started watching “Hell on Wheels”

How the hell did I miss this show? Great so far. 5 seasons too. Got me some quality binging coming up.
No Schmidt! I missed it the first time around and am watching it now too. Tonight watched S3 E3.

Netflix gave me an 98% and scarily enough.....I'm liking it.

Swede is a great cast. Very creepy.

Reactions: FAUlty Gator
No Schmidt! I missed it the first time around and am watching it now too. Tonight watched S3 E3.

Netflix gave me an 98% and scarily enough.....I'm liking it.

Swede is a great cast. Very creepy.

If you like the Swede make sure to watch “Tin Star”. He also played the crooked sheriff in Damnation.

Reactions: ghost80
HoW adds to my list of Ruths that I wood.

Maniac_102_Unit_01550_R-1014x570.jpg

beer-233815_c3255_hd.jpeg

It's very good, but gets too dark for me. The challenges of building the railroad and the interactions between the characters would have been interesting enough.

I feel the same about Breaking Bad. The characters were great; the concept was great, but my goodness, I couldn't stomach any more by the final season.

How the hell did I miss this show? Great so far. 5 seasons too. Got me some quality binging coming up.
HoW is one of the must under rated shows on TV. It gets overlooked a lot because it was one of the "other shows" on AMC when TWD was all the rage.

On episode 3 of Season 4 which I think will be the best. Has the most Deadwood feel to it.

Trivia for old people: Anson Mount's father (same name) was one of the original contributing editors of Playboy and was responsible for writing the annual college football preview article.

Trivia for old Hawkeye fans: No, he did NOT pick Iowa #1 in the nation in 1965. That year, Mount didn't pick a top ten in his usual manner. Instead, he listed the teams he thought would be the best and that included several he said would go 9-1. Iowa was at the top of the list because they were listed alphabetically. (I kept that issue around for years in order to win bets). He actually didn't even pick Iowa to win the Big Ten. He picked Michigan. He DID, however, put three Hawkeyes -- John Niland, Gary Snook and Karl Noonan -- on his all-America first team and named Jerry Burns national coach of the year.

Reactions: soybean
It was one of my favorite shows ever. Cullen is a badass. There is one death on that show I really didn’t like that actually spooked me a little.

I stopped watching when he moved into the Mormon camp. Is it worth watching after that? First couple seasons were great.

Best Line so far is by Doc Durant.

While Snow is laying on the table gutshot he walks in to have a look at him and sees something in the wound.

Doc: What is that? Coffee?

Cullen: Yeah...we used that sometimes in the war to slow the bleeding.

Doc: Oh...(long pause)...no wonder why you lost.

I enjoyed the show but felt it lost its way when it moved away from the railroad for bits. The last season helped when Cullen gets back to working for a railroad.

If you want to see something interesting, look into how they filmed the show. They did it up in Canada on prairie preserve. So they had to bring everything in for filming, treat the environment as gently as possible, then restore it all back to normal. The background scenery is very pretty in the show, so it was worth it.

Trivia for old people: Anson Mount's father (same name) was one of the original contributing editors of Playboy and was responsible for writing the annual college football preview article.

Trivia for old Hawkeye fans: No, he did NOT pick Iowa #1 in the nation in 1965. That year, Mount didn't pick a top ten in his usual manner. Instead, he listed the teams he thought would be the best and that included several he said would go 9-1. Iowa was at the top of the list because they were listed alphabetically. (I kept that issue around for years in order to win bets). He actually didn't even pick Iowa to win the Big Ten. He picked Michigan. He DID, however, put three Hawkeyes -- John Niland, Gary Snook and Karl Noonan -- on his all-America first team and named Jerry Burns national coach of the year.
I read a lot of those football previews. They were as accurate at predictions as most, IIRC. Most folks just read Playboy for the great articles.

Anson Mount's college football reviews were the reason I could say with a straight face that I read Playboy for the articles.

Reactions: billanole
Anson Mount's college football reviews were the reason I could say with a straight face that I read Playboy for the articles.
A great one I do remember bits of was an interview of Russell Means.
He said something along the line of, “Before white man, we just lived. Then he comes around with this thing called work. Then he comes up with this thing called vacation, like it made work OK. It doesn’t.”

Just got done. Very impressed. Lots of interesting characters and they took the time and effort to let the actors/actresses develop themselves. Probably will watch again because I know there are things I missed and IMO it was that good of a show.

There were times this show really tugged at my heart. The whole lost love opportunity with Ruth was very sad.

FTR Cullen is the ultimate badass.....he would make Chuck Norris wet himself ;)

It was one of my favorite shows ever. Cullen is a badass. There is one death on that show I really didn’t like that actually spooked me a little.

Which death? I liked the way they changed tempos on the different deaths. Sometimes it was built up and drawn out and other times BAM and low key.. Very effective. Thought Ruth's death through her eyes through the mask was very well played.

Probably the thing which got me the most was the executioner's young son traveling with his dad as he applied his trade. Very disturbing.

HOW is a great series.

Armchair QB- wish they’d placed more historical tidbits into the railroad building, as I found that interesting

Which death? I liked the way they changed tempos on the different deaths. Sometimes it was built up and drawn out and other times BAM and low key.. Very effective. Thought Ruth's death through her eyes through the mask was very well played.

Probably the thing which got me the most was the executioner's young son traveling with his dad as he applied his trade. Very disturbing.
Ruth’s death. I’ve never seen a hanging done that way.

My girlfriend also loved the show. Therefore, we are going the cheyenne next month for the weekend

Reactions: HawCory and ghost80
One of the best TV productions ever. Maybe Top 10 for me. Varied pace and multi-layered story with a excellent soundtrack.

My favorite scene is the short one where the guy came to kill Cullen and Cullen asked him "Is there anyway I can talk you out of it?" The guy said "no" and Cullen dropped him in a heap on the spot with a single shot.

One of the best TV productions ever. Maybe Top 10 for me. Varied pace and multi-layered story with a excellent soundtrack.

My favorite scene is the short one where the guy came to kill Cullen and Cullen asked him "Is there anyway I can talk you out of it?" The guy said "no" and Cullen dropped him in a heap on the spot with a single shot.

Yup...behind the train. The guy from the opening scene at the church's brother.

Great scene. This was exactly one of the situations I was talking about where a killing was short, quick and not drawn out. No big production just bam and it's over.

Loved the ending all the way around. Read that Wirth had considered a different ending in which Swede was not killed...and in the end he kills Cullen and takes over his identity. Not sure how that would have gone over with the audience.

Great scene. This was exactly one of the situations I was talking about where a killing was short, quick and not drawn out. No big production just bam and it's over.

Loved the ending all the way around. Read that Wirth had considered a different ending in which Swede was not killed...and in the end he kills Cullen and takes over his identity. Not sure how that would have gone over with the audience.

It would have been hard not to watch it...the Swede was one of the best fictional characters ever.

Best Line so far is by Doc Durant.

While Snow is laying on the table gutshot he walks in to have a look at him and sees something in the wound.

Doc: What is that? Coffee?

Cullen: Yeah...we used that sometimes in the war to slow the bleeding.

Doc: Oh...(long pause)...no wonder why you lost.
Best quote of the entire series was a closing monologue type from Durant early in the series, may have even in the first episode, I don't remember.

Per IMDB, Thomas "Doc" Durant:

Is it a villain you want? I'll play the part. After all, what is a drama without a villain? And what is the building of this grand road if not a drama?

This business is not for the weak of heart. It's a thorny, brutal affair, that rewards the lion for his ferocity. What of the zebra? What of the poor zebra? Well, the zebra's eaten, as the zebra should be.

Make no mistake, blood will be spilt, lives will be lost. Fortunes will be made, men will be ruined. There will be betrayal, scandal, and perfidy of epic proportions.

But, the lion shall prevail.

You see, the secret I know is this: all of history is driven by the lion. We drag the poor zebra, kicking and braying, staining the earth with its cheap blood. History doesn't remember us fondly.

But then history is written by the zebra, for the zebra.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT