ADVERTISEMENT

Yearly Spring/Lawn Thread

Greenway4Prez

HR Legend
Jan 10, 2005
I know there are a few geeks here that get into this stuff, and I’m sure a Carl Spackler gif will show up. Not to sound like a Chicken Little/fatalist type, but…we’re kinda fũcked.

It hasn’t gotten cold enough, long enough, this winter to kill off ticks. Little reason to believe that this won’t be another year of billbugs, chinch bugs, cutworms, etc.

Our soil is dry as hell. Maybe that will change. But I doubt it, we’ve had 4 dry growing seasons in a row. I don’t think this is a cycle, this is a trend.

We’re weeks ahead of where we were last year in terms of growing degree days, which determines when plants bloom, insects hatch, weeds germinate, etc. If the 10-15 day forecasts hold, a pre-emergent application done on Easter might be too late. Oh, and last year was ahead of “normal” too. It would take three weeks of 40-45 degree days to get us back where we should be.

Rant over.

comedy central dancing GIF

I live in California, where drought conditions are normal. I went with a clover over-seed to both save water, and green up the lawn.

I used "microclover," and really love it. It's interspersed with my remaining grass, and, ironically, helps keep that alive and greener since clover fixes nitrogen and is self-fertilizing. I went from watering 5x/week to once or twice only during the summer.

Before WW2 (and invention of broadleaf herbicides), clover was the standard yard cover nationwide.

I know there are a few geeks here that get into this stuff, and I’m sure a Carl Spackler gif will show up. Not to sound like a Chicken Little/fatalist type, but…we’re kinda fũcked.

It hasn’t gotten cold enough, long enough, this winter to kill off ticks. Little reason to believe that this won’t be another year of billbugs, chinch bugs, cutworms, etc.

Our soil is dry as hell. Maybe that will change. But I doubt it, we’ve had 4 dry growing seasons in a row. I don’t think this is a cycle, this is a trend.

We’re weeks ahead of where we were last year in terms of growing degree days, which determines when plants bloom, insects hatch, weeds germinate, etc. If the 10-15 day forecasts hold, a pre-emergent application done on Easter might be too late. Oh, and last year was ahead of “normal” too. It would take three weeks of 40-45 degree days to get us back where we should be.

Rant over.
So your saying climate change might be real? It was just cold last Tuesday though.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Joes Place
I follow Ryan Knorr Lawn Care on Youtube, he's got some great advice. He's local to Central Iowa and usually addresses the same issues that I have.

Last edited:
Tore out the raised garden beds last spring and tilled everything in the back yard. Foolishly bought a off brand of seed from good ole Wal Mart. I think the seed to weed seed ratio was 20-80 weed seed.
Don't know if I will totally redo it and put down new seed with 98% grass seed vs 2% weed seed or try weed & feed this spring. Any suggestions?

Rant over.
monitoring this thread

Rant over.
Just put down a bag of 'The Andersons' fertilizer in the front. My Emerald Zoysia is starting to wake up and will be glorious as always.

My back lawn is a complete crap-show, though. Just had my trees canopied and I'm getting a few palettes of shade tolerant Palmetto St. Augustine put down next week. I resodded last year...the week before THE HOTTEST SUMMER ON EARTH and lost 90% of it. Going to zero-scape the back half of the lawn and grass the front half--mostly for my son. He needs some space to kick the soccer ball.

Reactions: Greenway4Prez
I buy a bag of the cheap weed and feed from Menards in the spring. I also walk around my yard with a hand held sprayer to spot kill weeds during summer.

That’s about it. Just do enough so the neighbors know I tried.

First full year of the new house's lawn. I have a 8 month a year yard service, so hopefully they know what they are doing.

They left me a pamphlet to do a liquid aeration- and even after googling what its for not sure if I need it.

Tore out the raised garden beds last spring and tilled everything in the back yard. Foolishly bought a off brand of seed from good ole Wal Mart. I think the seed to weed seed ratio was 20-80 weed seed.
Don't know if I will totally redo it and put down new seed with 98% grass seed vs 2% weed seed or try weed & feed this spring. Any suggestions?

Personally, I would do your pre-em and fert through the fall. If it looks good, overseed and keep on your schedule.

If it looks like shit by mid august, then just round up the old plots, use some good seed, and seed that patch and overseed the rest of the yard.

I loath yard work, I'd have a rock garden if I had my choice. But no, soon the old lady will have the sprinkler company out to hook up the system and then she'll expect me to mow once every few weeks when she's not doing it. It's bullshit.

100th Meridian continues its Eastward movement...

100th-meridian.gif

The line has moved about 140 miles since 1980, researchers say. Climate scientist Richard Seager, who led two 2018 studies appearing in the journal “Earth Interactions,” predicted that as this drying trend continues, farms further east will need to combine and grow to survive. Farmers would need to adapt or use irrigation, or change crops.

According to the Union of Concerned Scientists, the growth of farm size associated with consolidation leads to landscape simplification. This can lead to monocultures (fields of one plant species) replacing natural vegetation. Larger farms also require more fertilizers and pesticides.

But it gets worse.

“Large expanses of cropland may fail altogether, and have to be converted to western-style grazing range,” reported a press release on the studies from Columbia Climate School. “Water supplies could become a problem for urban areas.”

How do you grow grass in a fully shaded yard? Once leaves grow in on the trees for the summer I literally don't even mow it anymore, just a final to even it out in the fall. I've mowed it literally 4 times since we bought this house fall 2022. In that time however the dogs have done a number on the backyard. What's the best practical advice from you yard people?

How do you grow grass in a fully shaded yard? Once leaves grow in on the trees for the summer I literally don't even mow it anymore, just a final to even it out in the fall. I've mowed it literally 4 times since we bought this house fall 2022. In that time however the dogs have done a number on the backyard. What's the best practical advice from you yard people?
Uh....buy a grass seed variety that grows in dense shade....???

friends-ross-geller.gif

Reactions: TennNole17
That's weird. In my yard the grass under the trees stays the greenest and grows the most. I guess if you have complete shade it would be different.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bonerfarts
There are specialty shade mixes. Fine fescue seems to grow well in my shaded areas.

As for the dogs, well.. you prob won't have a nice yard until you don't have dogs. Unless you want to follow them around and douse their pee spots with water every time they potty.

Me and the dog have been pooping in the yard all winter, so my yard should be looking real good this year.
Winning strategy. Saves on TP and your wife won’t complain about the bathroom smelling like 💩.

Reactions: HawCory
Just dead spots from last year
Personally, I would just do your routine yardwork throughout the summer and overseed in the fall and just apply more seed where the bare spots are.

Unfortunately you can't pre-em and seed at the same time unless you try something like tenacity. Either way, you'd be babying along grass until it dies from summer heat and you have to do it again in the fall anyway.

Reactions: BrunoMars420
Get rid of the dog. The neighbors will love you as a bonus...

waaaay too early for lawn weed/feed
The optimal time for crabgrass pre-emergent is between 250-500 growing degree days (base 32).

We’re going to hit 250 around March 9-10.

We hit 250 on March 31 last year. So, it’s definitely time to start thinking about it.

Also, @millah_22 is killing it in this thread.

Reactions: millah_22
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT