ADVERTISEMENT

Justin Toole Update

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
For those interested:

Justin Toole’s transition from infielder to instructor seemed like a natural role change.

The son of Lewis Central baseball coach Lee Toole and brother of Colorado Rockies prospect Eric Toole, Justin last season concluded a seven-year minor league career in the Cleveland Indians organization. He signed a contract as an undrafted free agent out of Iowa in 2009. He advanced as far as the Triple-A Columbus Clippers five times in his career.

The 29-year-old Toole, a Lewis Central graduate, explored his playing options with a few teams before the Indians contacted him about the possibility of coaching within the organization. He jumped at the opportunity.

“I knew I wanted to coach,” Toole said. “Being with the Indians organization and knowing how they operate the way they do, I was grateful for the opportunity given to me. I felt like the timing was right to jump into the coaching role. I showed up to spring training as a coach and have been enjoying it to this point.”

Toole’s official role is hitting coach for the Mahoning Valley Scrappers, a short season Class A affiliate of the Indians in Niles, Ohio, where he began his pro playing career. Their season began June 17 following the Major League Baseball draft.

In many ways, Toole’s position suits him perfectly. Most of the players he instructs are recent draft picks, prep prospects or foreign prospects receiving an introduction to pro baseball.

As an undrafted free agent who grinded out a seven-year career while familiarizing himself with the Indians’ organization, Toole feels he can relate to his players.

He also previously played under current Mahoning Valley manager Edwin Rodriguez, who managed the Florida Marlins in 2010.

“I feel like I have a unique outlook and a unique track record of knowing what these guys expect of their players and knowing what they want of the organization, the gold standard of what the Indians want to be about,” Toole said. “I know what the players are going through. I know what’s asked of them. I have that unique middle ground of knowing what it’s like to be a staff member but also knowing what it’s like to be a player.”

One added benefit to being a coach is stability. Toole continues to earn a living staying involved with the game he loves. Additionally, he doesn’t have to deal with the stress that comes with an ever-changing minor-league roster.

“I would say the stability is better in terms of not bouncing around to different levels, either up or down, like you do as a player,” Toole said. “You have an idea where you’ll be for the season.”

Toole has not only past professional experience but also a number of recognizable connections in pro baseball. He played alongside recent Cleveland all-star selections in shortstop Francisco Lindor and starting pitcher Danny Salazar. He recalls playing against reigning National League Most Valuable Player Bryce Harper of the Washington Nationals.

“It’s cool to see those guys have success,” Toole said. “It’s also fun to come across against guys like Bryce Harper and different pitchers. There’s a ton of people I could name. It’s cool to see those guys make it to the big leagues. Ultimately, you’re just happy to see those guys get rewarded. A lot of guys don’t see the hard work those guys put in behind the scenes to reach those dreams.”

As Toole does his best to mold the minds of his players, he’s already made a lasting impact on one individual back home in Council Bluffs.

“I’m happy for him,” Lee Toole said. “I know he put a lot of blood, sweat and tears into the minor leagues. He had a lot of opportunities and got to do a lot of things with a lot of good people. A lot of people in that profession don’t get as far as he did. The only thing he didn’t get was a call to the bigs. He played Double-A, Triple-A and played in spring training games with the big boys.

“He’s comfortable, and that’s the important part. He’s happy with where he’s at, and he’s happy with what he’s accomplished.”

Justin Toole said, “I took advantage of every opportunity I was given. I’m super proud of what I was able to accomplish as a player. I think that’s one of the things helping me as a coach. I don’t have to look over my shoulder and wonder what I could have done differently.”

http://www.nonpareilonline.com/spor...cle_722531da-4642-11e6-9e18-df6d62d05cbb.html

Reactions: Vroom_C14
For those interested:

Justin Toole’s transition from infielder to instructor seemed like a natural role change.

The son of Lewis Central baseball coach Lee Toole and brother of Colorado Rockies prospect Eric Toole, Justin last season concluded a seven-year minor league career in the Cleveland Indians organization. He signed a contract as an undrafted free agent out of Iowa in 2009. He advanced as far as the Triple-A Columbus Clippers five times in his career.

The 29-year-old Toole, a Lewis Central graduate, explored his playing options with a few teams before the Indians contacted him about the possibility of coaching within the organization. He jumped at the opportunity.

“I knew I wanted to coach,” Toole said. “Being with the Indians organization and knowing how they operate the way they do, I was grateful for the opportunity given to me. I felt like the timing was right to jump into the coaching role. I showed up to spring training as a coach and have been enjoying it to this point.”

Toole’s official role is hitting coach for the Mahoning Valley Scrappers, a short season Class A affiliate of the Indians in Niles, Ohio, where he began his pro playing career. Their season began June 17 following the Major League Baseball draft.

In many ways, Toole’s position suits him perfectly. Most of the players he instructs are recent draft picks, prep prospects or foreign prospects receiving an introduction to pro baseball.

As an undrafted free agent who grinded out a seven-year career while familiarizing himself with the Indians’ organization, Toole feels he can relate to his players.

He also previously played under current Mahoning Valley manager Edwin Rodriguez, who managed the Florida Marlins in 2010.

“I feel like I have a unique outlook and a unique track record of knowing what these guys expect of their players and knowing what they want of the organization, the gold standard of what the Indians want to be about,” Toole said. “I know what the players are going through. I know what’s asked of them. I have that unique middle ground of knowing what it’s like to be a staff member but also knowing what it’s like to be a player.”

One added benefit to being a coach is stability. Toole continues to earn a living staying involved with the game he loves. Additionally, he doesn’t have to deal with the stress that comes with an ever-changing minor-league roster.

“I would say the stability is better in terms of not bouncing around to different levels, either up or down, like you do as a player,” Toole said. “You have an idea where you’ll be for the season.”

Toole has not only past professional experience but also a number of recognizable connections in pro baseball. He played alongside recent Cleveland all-star selections in shortstop Francisco Lindor and starting pitcher Danny Salazar. He recalls playing against reigning National League Most Valuable Player Bryce Harper of the Washington Nationals.

“It’s cool to see those guys have success,” Toole said. “It’s also fun to come across against guys like Bryce Harper and different pitchers. There’s a ton of people I could name. It’s cool to see those guys make it to the big leagues. Ultimately, you’re just happy to see those guys get rewarded. A lot of guys don’t see the hard work those guys put in behind the scenes to reach those dreams.”

As Toole does his best to mold the minds of his players, he’s already made a lasting impact on one individual back home in Council Bluffs.

“I’m happy for him,” Lee Toole said. “I know he put a lot of blood, sweat and tears into the minor leagues. He had a lot of opportunities and got to do a lot of things with a lot of good people. A lot of people in that profession don’t get as far as he did. The only thing he didn’t get was a call to the bigs. He played Double-A, Triple-A and played in spring training games with the big boys.

“He’s comfortable, and that’s the important part. He’s happy with where he’s at, and he’s happy with what he’s accomplished.”

Justin Toole said, “I took advantage of every opportunity I was given. I’m super proud of what I was able to accomplish as a player. I think that’s one of the things helping me as a coach. I don’t have to look over my shoulder and wonder what I could have done differently.”

http://www.nonpareilonline.com/spor...cle_722531da-4642-11e6-9e18-df6d62d05cbb.html
Thanks for the posting. Great to see a good succeed.

Reactions: Vroom_C14
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT