ADVERTISEMENT

K.U. & Bill Self are about to get whacked in the pee-pee. Hard.

Hawk It Up

HR All-American
Sep 1, 2019
The Kansas basketball program received a notice of allegations from the NCAA on Monday detailing multiple major violations, the University of Kansas confirmed. Kansas is accused of committing three Level I violations -- the most severe in the NCAA rulebook. A responsibility charge is also being levied against Hall of Fame coach Bill Self and KU is also charged with a lack of institutional control.

I could see, but it's doubtful it will happen, Self getting a lifetime ban.

I'll believe it when I see it. Even if they get hard they will employ lobbyists and surrogates in order to get the penalties lessened. Or, they will sue. In the end the NCAA will cave in to KU.

Reactions: BlackNGoldBleeder

The charge against Self will potentially prove a compelling and high-profile application of the NCAA’s head coach responsibility bylaws. Evidence tied to the case included Gassnola and Self talking openly in text messages about Adidas helping Kansas recruit players. “I’m happy with Adidas,” Self wrote Gassnola. “Just got to get a couple real guys.”

Later, Gassnola texted about keeping Self and Kansas happy with lottery picks. Self responded: “That’s how (it) works. At UNC and Duke.”

The coach control charge – NCAA bylaw 11.1.1.1 – will also be worrisome for Self, a Hall of Fame coach who has won 891 games in his career. The rule states: “An institution's head coach is presumed to be responsible for the actions of all institutional staff members who report, directly or indirectly, to the head coach.”

The NCAA’s case is expected to heavily revolve around Kansas’ relationship with Adidas, which paid Gassnola as a grassroots consultant while he was known as a “bag man” for the company. Gassnola worked for Adidas’ so-called secret Black Ops division that court records and testimony showed was openly talked about on company email.

A phone call captured by federal authorities between Kansas assistant Kurtis Townsend and another Adidas consultant, Merl Code, was read in court and included a reference to potentially paying Zion Williamson, who went on to be the No. 1 pick in the NBA draft from Duke, or a family member for him to attend Kansas. “I’ve got to just try to work and figure out a way because if that’s what it takes to get him here for 10 months, we’re going to have to do it some way,” Townsend said, according to the transcript read in court.

Gassnola cooperated with federal officials and was recently sentenced to a one-year term of supervised released. Gassnola also figures prominently in the NC State case, as he delivered a $40,000 payment to help NC State keep the commitment of Dennis Smith Jr.

Kansas released a statement in April of 2018 claiming to be a victim in the federal cases. Chancellor Douglas A. Girod said in a statement to Yahoo at the time: “The recent indictment names KU as a victim and asserts that unlawful activities were deliberately concealed from KU officials. The indictment does not suggest any wrongdoing by the university, its coaches or its staff.”

Sounds like Duke must have outbid Kansas for Zion Williamson?

https://sports.yahoo.com/sources-ka...-lack-of-institutional-control-210015300.html

The Kansas basketball program received a notice of allegations from the NCAA on Monday detailing multiple major violations, the University of Kansas confirmed. Kansas is accused of committing three Level I violations -- the most severe in the NCAA rulebook. A responsibility charge is also being levied against Hall of Fame coach Bill Self and KU is also charged with a lack of institutional control.

Some juco in Kansas will probably get the death penalty instead.

NCAA doesn't want to risk Dr. Naismith has been turning over in his grave.

Last edited:
When you have a half dozen McDonslds All Americans on your roster I doubt one or two less will make a big difference.

Likely this will cost the grade point geek at the end of the bench his ride.

Reactions: TheCainer
Meh UNC is still the gold standard for NCAA ineptitude. KU will skirt by with losing a scholarship and going on probation for a couple years.
How so? UNC didn't commit any NCAA violations. The classes were gimme's and required little-to-no participation, but the NCAA and the other scholastic institutions cleared them as being sufficient for many years. Every school... EVERY SCHOOL... has gimme classes. UNC actually doesn't have any of those classes now.

Kansas is violating NCAA rules.

Reactions: Hawk It Up
How so? UNC didn't commit any NCAA violations. The classes were gimme's and required little-to-no participation, but the NCAA and the other scholastic institutions cleared them as being sufficient for many years. Every school... EVERY SCHOOL... has gimme classes. UNC actually doesn't have any of those classes now.

Kansas is violating NCAA rules.
The way I remember it is for about 15 years they offered complete shams of independent study courses. The only thing that stopped the hammer from dropping was they school also offered the sham classes to regular students. Instead of the athletic department being branded a piece of shit it was the entire college branded as a piece of shit therefore the NCAA couldn’t do anything.

The charge against Self will potentially prove a compelling and high-profile application of the NCAA’s head coach responsibility bylaws. Evidence tied to the case included Gassnola and Self talking openly in text messages about Adidas helping Kansas recruit players. “I’m happy with Adidas,” Self wrote Gassnola. “Just got to get a couple real guys.”

Later, Gassnola texted about keeping Self and Kansas happy with lottery picks. Self responded: “That’s how (it) works. At UNC and Duke.”

The coach control charge – NCAA bylaw 11.1.1.1 – will also be worrisome for Self, a Hall of Fame coach who has won 891 games in his career. The rule states: “An institution's head coach is presumed to be responsible for the actions of all institutional staff members who report, directly or indirectly, to the head coach.”

The NCAA’s case is expected to heavily revolve around Kansas’ relationship with Adidas, which paid Gassnola as a grassroots consultant while he was known as a “bag man” for the company. Gassnola worked for Adidas’ so-called secret Black Ops division that court records and testimony showed was openly talked about on company email.

A phone call captured by federal authorities between Kansas assistant Kurtis Townsend and another Adidas consultant, Merl Code, was read in court and included a reference to potentially paying Zion Williamson, who went on to be the No. 1 pick in the NBA draft from Duke, or a family member for him to attend Kansas. “I’ve got to just try to work and figure out a way because if that’s what it takes to get him here for 10 months, we’re going to have to do it some way,” Townsend said, according to the transcript read in court.

Gassnola cooperated with federal officials and was recently sentenced to a one-year term of supervised released. Gassnola also figures prominently in the NC State case, as he delivered a $40,000 payment to help NC State keep the commitment of Dennis Smith Jr.

Kansas released a statement in April of 2018 claiming to be a victim in the federal cases. Chancellor Douglas A. Girod said in a statement to Yahoo at the time: “The recent indictment names KU as a victim and asserts that unlawful activities were deliberately concealed from KU officials. The indictment does not suggest any wrongdoing by the university, its coaches or its staff.”

https://sports.yahoo.com/sources-ka...-lack-of-institutional-control-210015300.html

Is that a Self-PWN?:cool:

Reactions: TheCainer
The way I remember it is for about 15 years they offered complete shams of independent study courses. The only thing that stopped the hammer from dropping was they school also offered the sham classes to regular students. Instead of the athletic department being branded a piece of shit it was the entire college branded as a piece of shit therefore the NCAA couldn’t do anything.
Well... as I have already said; EVERY SCHOOL offers gimme classes. So, by that logic, every school is a piece of shit. I'm not denying that he AFAM course/curriculum was a sham. It most certainly was a gimme class. And, the classes were offered to anyone. If anything, the NCAA drug its feet for years on it and it hurt UNC recruiting! And, then, nothing happened.

Kansas, NCSU, Arizona... they're paying players. That's a bit different.

Absolutely Duke did and that frigging hypocrite Coach K turns a blind eye with every recruiting class.

Oh it’s Kansas... they’ll be in the Final Four next year. :confused:

Watching cheaters get celebrated by the national sports media gets really old.

giphy.gif

Part of the problem seems to be Nike and Addias
selling their shoe contracts to various colleges.
They profit financially and make some arrangements
to help colleges land the 5 star players they want.

And then Zion blows out a Nike shoe.... worst marketing blunder ever.

Reactions: TunzaHawk
That isn't "part of the problem" here. It IS the problem.

And Self was right in the middle of it. The FBI & NCAA has them dead to rights too.

When you have a half dozen McDonslds All Americans on your roster I doubt one or two less will make a big difference.

Likely this will cost the grade point geek at the end of the bench his ride.
Those Micky D's AA's aren't going to waste their time on KU when they get barred from postseason play and TV for 5 years.

I got a feeling this one is gonna leave a mark. Or it should. The NCAA could use this to show everyone else, "See, it doesn't matter who you are if you cheat". I could see the KU being forced to vacate a ton of wins, as well the 2008 championship Self won.

As dead to rights as it appears they have them, they (the NCAA) aren't going to back off of this one I don't think.

Last edited:
Watching cheaters get celebrated by the national sports media gets really old.
Basically "drafting" a bench of one-and-done's every year is the antithesis of the kinds of teams that he built in the 90's, 00's, etc.. I realize the game has changed. But, he has abandoned building veteran teams that get degrees. You wanna talk about scholastic shams, like UNC gets a well-deserved rap for doing; I know people who could not get into Duke and they were fvcking geniuses! And, when I see barely-literate kids on that team, year after year, it makes me wonder how they do it. Brandon Ingram was a prime example. That kid went to Kinston, NC high school and he could barely string sentences together. I'm not knocking him as an individual, or a basketball player. I'm simply saying that to get into Duke University, you have to be (or, had to be, unless you play basketball really well) at the very top of your game in academics. UNC is a public university that doesn't require the same kind of academic standard.

Reactions: Tom Paris
Basically "drafting" a bench of one-and-done's every year is the antithesis of the kinds of teams that he built in the 90's, 00's, etc.. I realize the game has changed. But, he has abandoned building veteran teams that get degrees. You wanna talk about scholastic shams, like UNC gets a well-deserved rap for doing; I know people who could not get into Duke and they were fvcking geniuses! And, when I see barely-literate kids on that team, year after year, it makes me wonder how they do it. Brandon Ingram was a prime example. That kid went to Kinston, NC high school and he could barely string sentences together. I'm not knocking him as an individual, or a basketball player. I'm simply saying that to get into Duke University, you have to be (or, had to be, unless you play basketball really well) at the very top of your game in academics. UNC is a public university that doesn't require the same kind of academic standard.
To be sort of fair, those kids aren't getting academic scholarships. Frankly, it's better than letting them in for things they haven't earned on merit like some of the derivatives that are being created today that may deny kids that earned admission.

Or as Jerry Tarkanian would say....Watch Out Cleveland State, the NCAA is gonna drop the hammer on you!

To be sort of fair, those kids aren't getting academic scholarships. Frankly, it's better than letting them in for things they haven't earned on merit like some of the derivatives that are being created today that may deny kids that earned admission.
I'm not talking about the scholarships. I'm talking about meeting the standards of admission.

I'm not talking about the scholarships. I'm talking about meeting the standards of admission.
I understand, but they are there on basketball scholarships not for academic prowess. It's providing opportunity on merit. I may be wrong, but I suspect it's harder to get into "good" schools because of competition, not minimum requirements for acceptance.

Until the NCAA starts actually hammering the teams that are cheating in FB and BB that are "blue bloods" nothing will change and it will only hurt teams in the middle like Iowa that mostly do things right. There has been little benefit to following the rules as the rule breakers typically get a slap on the hand and a small public scolding...then it is business as usual. The NCAA wants to keep its cash cows producing.

This would kill my dad if he wasn't already dead. BIG Jayhawks fan.
With all due respect to you and your late father, why would this upset him particularly? KU gets put on probation all the time. I'm pretty sure the university has been on probation ever time it's made the Final Four, or immediately afterward. Larry Brown, Roy Williams, both got nailed. It's an incredibly Teflon program. KU has a far, far, FAR dirtier record than, say, Jerry Tarkanian's UNLV teams.

My guess ...... slap on the wrist and business as usual.

Not because the things they did were minor, because they are Kansas.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT