ADVERTISEMENT

Kaleb Johnson

GoB1G

Team MVP
Jun 26, 2019
Anyone else concerned about Kaleb’s mindset?
1. He was suspended for the first half of the opener. I assume by the leadership group.
2. When he let the opening kick of the 2nd half sail over his head, Lavar was livid. You can see Lavar sprinting to Kaleb and actually hear him screaming at him. I’ve never seen Lavar that animated. That tells me it wasn’t a one-off mistake.
3. On Kaleb’s long TD run, he dropped the ball at the goal line. He’s damn lucky it didn’t get reviewed.

Kaleb had a good game Saturday, but we all know Kirk won’t put up with any sh*t. Kaleb playing at his best could be the difference between a good season and a very special one. I hope he’s locked in. Go Hawks!

1. He was suspended for the first half of the opener. I assume by the leadership group.
2. When he let the opening kick of the 2nd half sail over his head, Lavar was livid. You can see Lavar sprinting to Kaleb and actually hear him screaming at him. I’ve never seen Lavar that animated. That tells me it wasn’t a one-off mistake.
3. On Kaleb’s long TD run, he dropped the ball at the goal line. He’s damn lucky it didn’t get reviewed.

Kaleb had a good game Saturday, but we all know Kirk won’t put up with any sh*t. Kaleb playing at his best could be the difference between a good season and a very special one. I hope he’s locked in. Go Hawks!
Some good points you made here- I noticed the same -

i did notice he dropped the ball in ez and didn’t like it but he dropped it well past the line. there was zero
need or chance of it getting reviewed.
he seems like a good kid from what i can tell and as long as he stays healthy he’ll do well at iowa. last year when he saved us the il game i liked his words and attitude after the game.

I noticed Levar tearing into him too, but I couldn’t figure out why he possibly would.

Reactions: GoB1G
Whatever he said it worked out fine as he came out like a man with his ass on fire 🔥- if that works every week I am all for it
If it needs to happen every week, there is a problem.

It was great to see the holes open up the second half. Appears someone finally knows how to make adjustments.

Reactions: Torg

It did get reviewed. Every scoring play does. It was close but he was over the line. Still no need to do that.

Reactions: Torg
Only one way to stop it. Tell him don't do it again....if he does he is out. I don't want that to happen but he needs to be told and I am sure one or more of the coaches have.

Reactions: Beattheohiostate
What was Kirks response as to KJ not playing in the 1st half.
Also how about the whole of Iowa media buying into KM being the new RB stub..gag me

We don't need another Lowdermilk play from about 10 years ago, yikes! I hate that play from anyone, just hand the ball over, don't give the refs any reason to take points off the board. Sky is limit for KJ, yet consistency from the mental/teamwork side apparently has crept in and you saw it last year. That said, he will be the best RB on the field Saturday, Kirk said Sat's game is the best he's ever seen him run.

Kid has Shonn Green type potential, especially with improved O line.

Johnson has broken off so many long runs during his time at Iowa. I would think he has to be ranked up there for avg yards of TD run.

There's something going on internally between KJ and the coaching staff. To be as good as he is, not fumble prone, loved by the fans, showed out on the semi-limited chances he's had to date, but still not really getting the carries you would expect from a player of his caliber, there's something we're not seeing.

I used to think it was just BF not using his skill players correctly, which is true. Maybe that is all it is and this year he breaks 1k with the change at OC.

He can legitimately be one of the best we've had IMO, which is no small feat, yet, he doesn't seem trusted by the coaches at all. We all knew why they struggled with Wadley in the first two years of his career but it's not as easy to see with KJ. Ultimately, we'll probably never know. I just hope a transfer isn't impending at some point down the road.

Reactions: wondergrape
Only one way to stop it. Tell him don't do it again....if he does he is out. I don't want that to happen but he needs to be told and I am sure one or more of the coaches have.
Yep, negative consequences for negative behavior. Losing playing time is the ultimate negative consequence for a player, way worse than getting yelled at by a coach when the player already knows he effed up

Let me ask about your #2 item, didnt that kick off sail over his head and Kaleb was standing on the goal line? Is that a really good returnable kick if it had some hang time when you can get it at the 25 yard line.

What was Woods pissed off about?

Rumor has it Kaleb dipped into Lavar's stash. I kid, I kid....

Jack Black Im Kidding GIF by NBC

Let me ask about your #2 item, didnt that kick off sail over his head and Kaleb was standing on the goal line? Is that a really good returnable kick if it had some hang time when you can get it at the 25 yard line.

What was Woods pissed off about?
I read or heard somewhere that Woods was pissed because Johnson put himself in as kick returner and told whoever was supposed to return the kick to take a seat.

Not sure if true, but heard it somewhere.

I'm not super concerned; he had every opportunity to leave a historically bad Iowa Offense (with a stacked RB room) and go pretty much anywhere but chose to stay here. Loyalty like that in this day and age counts for something in my book. I think he wants to be here with these teammates.

It is an interesting luxury, compared to the last several years, to have our message board concerns this week be (1) a running back who rushed for 2 touchdowns and 10+ yards per carry and (2) a QB who completed 68% of his passes with 3 touchdowns, no interceptions, and 8.1 yards per attempt.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT