ADVERTISEMENT

Kaleb Johnson

KJ definitely has the best top end speed.

His problem is he doesn't have enough "wiggle" or tackle breaking ability (too upright) to display it consistently.

(a better o-line would help him out a lot)

Lester apparently wants to use the backs more in the passing game which also could help KJ a lot. Get him out in space.

KJ definitely has the best top end speed.

His problem is he doesn't have enough "wiggle" or tackle breaking ability (too upright) to display it consistently.

(a better o-line would help him out a lot)

Lester apparently wants to use the backs more in the passing game which also could help KJ a lot. Get him out in space.
KJ has it all except as you say lowering the shoulder at times to ward off a tackler and a sneaky quick foot move. He is a glider who can weave, reads his blocks.

If he had a ton of big holes the last two years he would have a ton of yards, as we all know.

I am expecting a huge year from him if the line can sustain meaningful blocks and give him enough room to ramp up … as once he gets going out of the backfield we all know what he can do to the defense…. Kids got the mojo to compete at the next level imho…

The nightmare of 8 and 9 in the box with safeties crashing. I sure hope Lester can make teams pay by getting them spread out a little more, faked out and on their heels, get some good passing going and open up that running game

The nightmare of 8 and 9 in the box with safeties crashing. I sure hope Lester can make teams pay by getting them spread out a little more, faked out and on their heels, get some good passing going and open up that running game

Yes this is sorely needed. However, you need a QB that can execute, can pass with precision/touch, and make the defense pay.

When the defense and DC clearly 100% do not respect the QB1, you get games where the run game does nothing consistently running into 9 man fronts. It’s insanity.

I am expecting a huge year from him if the line can sustain meaningful blocks and give him enough room to ramp up … as once he gets going out of the backfield we all know what he can do to the defense…. Kids got the mojo to compete at the next level imho…

Funny you post that yesterday.

Because today Kyler Kasper posts a cryptic Instagram story that may suggest he is actively recruiting KJ to Oregon

Reactions: JerseyCityHawki
Yes this is sorely needed. However, you need a QB that can execute, can pass with precision/touch, and make the defense pay.

When the defense and DC clearly 100% do not respect the QB1, you get games where the run game does nothing consistently running into 9 man fronts. It’s insanity.
Well you just described Cade McNamara's reviews after he QBed Mich to the Big 10 Champ in 2021. I watched him a few times that year and granted Mich had better receivers than Iowa and they had better separation but Cade was noted for throwing the ball where it needed to be.

On swing passes to running backs or WRS out wide he was noted for throwing the ball to get it on the receiver and lead them downfield. Cade isnt Tom Brady etc but if he has pass pro and receivers are open by a couple of yards I think he can the job done and defenses will have to respect him.

Well you just described Cade McNamara's reviews after he QBed Mich to the Big 10 Champ in 2021. I watched him a few times that year and granted Mich had better receivers than Iowa and they had better separation but Cade was noted for throwing the ball where it needed to be.

On swing passes to running backs or WRS out wide he was noted for throwing the ball to get it on the receiver and lead them downfield. Cade isnt Tom Brady etc but if he has pass pro and receivers are open by a couple of yards I think he can the job done and defenses will have to respect him.

I don’t doubt Cade’s heart, determination, or skill. My concern is the two season ending injuries and the level of difficulty getting back to the physical level needed to be agile enough for Big Ten play. It’s a tough row to hoe and I’m pulling for him. I just will not be surprised if he can’t get back to that level or gets re-injured untimely again. We need another option other than Hill as backup or we all going to be very disappointed on one bad play. Football is a physical sport and our OLs haven’t been keeping our QB1 jerseys clean in years now.

I don’t doubt Cade’s heart, determination, or skill. My concern is the two season ending injuries and the level of difficulty getting back to the physical level needed to be agile enough for Big Ten play. It’s a tough row to hoe and I’m pulling for him. I just will not be surprised if he can’t get back to that level or gets re-injured untimely again. We need another option other than Hill as backup or we all going to be very disappointed on one bad play. Football is a physical sport and our OLs haven’t been keeping our QB1 jerseys clean in years now.
I do agree with you about if Hill has to play unless Lester is the qb whisperer. I agree that Cade's knees are a hit away from putting him out and he will probably not be as agile or fast. Wait and see.

An experienced portal qb with good accuracy would help.

Even better would be Marco improving over the summer, dialing up his passing and accuracy, and running the ball and learning the offense.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT