ADVERTISEMENT

"Karen, this is Joe Paterno. Are you OK?"

If we assume that Paterno really did tell the guys to not testify on behalf of the defendant, you have to ask yourself why did he do that?
  • Did he do that because he wanted to support a victim and help put a criminal behind bars? Maybe, but I'd be surprised if this was true.
  • Did he do that because he didn't want one of his players to be publicly supporting a potentially convicted rapist and harm PSU's reputation? This seems plausible if not probably true.
  • Did he do that because he knew the guy was guilty and wanted him to go away as soon as possible so that the story would die down quickly and not damage the PSU reputation? This seems very likely to me.
When the one victim who Joe called said that it felt to her that he wasn't supporting her but rather he was seeing if she would help make the whole situation go away, I'm leaning towards the latter to bullets being much more true than the first one.

What we learned later on in the article is that Joe didn't understand sexual violence. He only understood the sex part of it and that was something icky to him that he didn't want to think about. He could have much more easily have understood the violence part, especially as a football coach, but that isn't what his brain processed. And so because sexual violence was treated as something icky, it became something that he didn't want to deal with and pushed aside. Hence creating the opportunity for Sandusky to continue for years after Joe was made aware of the situation. It was something his brain couldn't process and so he did his best to make it go away and avoid dealing with it.
All good points, I agree with that. The article did sort of make me understand how Paterno handled the Sandusky thing so poorly. The article listed a few different examples of where he was almost awkward and embarrassed to even talk about sex at all so he just ignored it if at all possible. Like he would go out of his way to talk to the team and make examples out of players that got in trouble for anything else, but with these types of things he was just silent. And this doesn’t in anyway make what Paterno did OK but the article did also point out that he wasn’t exactly the only one in that era with some of that attitude.

My take on this is simple...if this happened to Paterno's daughter he would've gone after the guy with his bare hands.

He seemed a bit more laisezz faire in this case.

Reactions: Mountain Man Hawk
Irv Pankey deserves a lot of credit for what he did to support one of the victims in spite of Paterno.
That part gave me shivers when I read that. Respect to him!
WellmadeDelayedDinosaur-size_restricted.gif

Last edited:
I believe Adrienne (one of Hodne's victims) summed it up best..

She knows Paterno kicked Hodne off the team. In her mind, that was not enough.

"You only partly did the right thing," she says, addressing Paterno 43 years later. "The humanity is the other part. Really: Who the f—- are you? God? That you can't acknowledge that someone that you brought to this campus hurt five women that I know of? And you don't have the decency to at least write a note? Because this man who was hurting women all over campus went to school for nothing, nothing. He had everything. And you sought him out, Mr. Paterno. You brought that rapist on to this campus, and you gave him money to come. Excuse my language. F--- you, Joe Paterno"

If we assume that Paterno really did tell the guys to not testify on behalf of the defendant, you have to ask yourself why did he do that?
  • Did he do that because he wanted to support a victim and help put a criminal behind bars? Maybe, but I'd be surprised if this was true.
  • Did he do that because he didn't want one of his players to be publicly supporting a potentially convicted rapist and harm PSU's reputation? This seems plausible if not probably true.
  • Did he do that because he knew the guy was guilty and wanted him to go away as soon as possible so that the story would die down quickly and not damage the PSU reputation? This seems very likely to me.
When the one victim who Joe called said that it felt to her that he wasn't supporting her but rather he was seeing if she would help make the whole situation go away, I'm leaning towards the latter to bullets being much more true than the first one.

What we learned later on in the article is that Joe didn't understand sexual violence. He only understood the sex part of it and that was something icky to him that he didn't want to think about. He could have much more easily have understood the violence part, especially as a football coach, but that isn't what his brain processed. And so because sexual violence was treated as something icky, it became something that he didn't want to deal with and pushed aside. Hence creating the opportunity for Sandusky to continue for years after Joe was made aware of the situation. It was something his brain couldn't process and so he did his best to make it go away and avoid dealing with it.
On the mark. The story called it a tragic flaw, Joe’s inability to understand sexual violence (icky stuff)—exactly what I thought with Sandusky—Paterno the contradiction of an older coach of young men who really couldn’t understand/accept/ whatever what Sandusky was doing. And while he dismissed Hodne, he and others were part of keeping the story from becoming a story—for reputation and football.

I have a good buddy who is a PSU alum and high up in the SoFla Nitanny Lion club. This story was news to him. There was/is a coverup. That's enough for me to say eff you Joe.

Reactions: Franisdaman
Christ.
That article is like War & Peace length.

The part where Joe instructs his players not to speak up for Hodne in court (a few players wanted to) because he is guilty doesn't really jibe with the message here about Joe, does it?
I guess I took the players being in court to more of an intimidation factor.

Kicked him off the team..........kept him on scholarship.
If he was so guilty that people shouldn't testify then take the scholarship, get him gone.
Instead send him to the program fixer attorney.

I’ve always speculated that the reason Joe didn’t kick Jerry off campus when it was obvious he knew what he was doing is because Joe was doing it too. He knew that if he kicked him out, Jerry would drop the dime on him.

I never liked Joe Paterno going back to the 1960's. I always thought he was a whiny fake.

Remember when he used to talk about his "Grand Experiment". He turned down NFL jobs because he wanted to mold young men into more than football players. He wanted to get involved in their lived and wanted a healthy atmosphere where players could be free and enjoy campus life. Be exposed to the classics in music and art.

Baloney.

I think Neal Smith, an All-American DB on his 1969 team summed Paterno up best. He said that Paterno was a phony and that he cared more about winning football games that his players getting an education. And he said that in the 1980's.

I never liked Paterno or Penn State. And that was before you knew what a cesspool the place was.

The issues of player conduct and the school's response is a murky line.

Its always an easy call at the extremes. Of course the Sandusky thing was as big as it gets. While there's no law that mandated reporting the abuse (unless Joe was mandatory reporter under Pennsylvania law) for the average person but participating in both concealing and tolerating it makes the Penn St things a no brainer. Paterno accepted the devil for the sake of winning. Paterno, more than anyone, knew the importance of building character because it was his "hallmark". So he knew he was allowing a sexual predator with a taste for minors on his staff. Clearly termination was the least severe thing Penn St should have done.

But we cannot overlook the general sense that people should be presumed not guilty. The quintessential Duke rape case is the best example. That's the other end of the spectrum.

There are just so many in between. Schools are not a very good weapon for investigation nor a good forum for justice, yet both must be present. Tough calls to be made.​

Reactions: littlez
I’ve always speculated that the reason Joe didn’t kick Jerry off campus when it was obvious he knew what he was doing is because Joe was doing it too. He knew that if he kicked him out, Jerry would drop the dime on him.
I always thought the same. For him to "retire" at only 55 after 20 years as DC and 30 in the program seemed tad suspicious why he did when he did. Always thought was Joe's way of starting to create a little distance from him but yet as we know he didn't cut him off completely and he hung around and took advantage of the PSU program with free reign to the facilities.

One coach I think is a lot like Paterno but the only difference is the time period when they coached is Art Briles. Both slime balls but Briles was exposed by the internet age and tougher media coverage nationally. Both brought in some shady players with character issues with the win at all cost and turned a blind eye to lot of stuff as long as they could win. Paterno had the luxury of being able to control the narrative a lot more where it was more regional like this story during his time with the lack of 24/7 media coverage until his last decade or so before it came crashing down.

Reactions: 59DAWG
I always thought the same. For him to "retire" at only 55 after 20 years as DC and 30 in the program seemed tad suspicious why he did when he did. Always thought was Joe's way of starting to create a little distance from him but yet as we know he didn't cut him off completely and he hung around and took advantage of the PSU program with free reign to the facilities.

One coach I think is a lot like Paterno but the only difference is the time period when they coached is Art Briles. Both slime balls but Briles was exposed by the internet age and tougher media coverage nationally. Both brought in some shady players with character issues with the win at all cost and turned a blind eye to lot of stuff as long as they could win. Paterno had the luxury of being able to control the narrative a lot more where it was more regional like this story during his time with the lack of 24/7 media coverage until his last decade or so before it came crashing down.
I'm not sure I would throw Paterno under the bus of recruiting shady players with character issues. I mean if you do then you have to lump KF in with him to considering the stuff that happened with Cedric Everson, Abe Satterfield, and Jevon Pugh. On top of that Kyle Williams and the City Boyz were all KF recruits too. Paterno was the head coach for almost half a century and probably brought in over 1000 players during that time. Odds say that there will be some bad eggs in a group that large, especially when talking about teenage men. Coaches do the best that they can in recruiting and unfortunately some times people change for the worst when they are young adults while some others are really good at hiding their faults from the public eye.

What Joe absolutely should have been held accountable for is ignoring or covering up the bad things that his players/coaches did when he found out about them. That is a line crossed that a coach shouldn't be crossing.

We all know about Jerry Sandusky. Joe knew, too, but LONG before Sandusky was ever stopped and arrested.

Did you know about Todd Hodne, the serial rapist, who was a prized recruit when he joined Penn State football in 1977? Joe knew about him, too.

I knew Joe was a disgusting human being and only cared about winning but damn, he had the power to stop both Sandusky and Hodne and failed.

The story from ESPN:

WTF… we need to build a border around NJ to keep that filthy filth away JHC … probably goes back beyond that year too

Really sad. I remember liking Joe Paterno growing up. I never would have guessed JoePa was the type to turn a blind eye to so much moral turpitude in his program.

I’m guessing the Penetration State fans will be in denial about this too. They are quite possibly the worst fan base on the planet and have no shame.

I liked JoePa as well before the Sandusky story was told.

And now this story.

Just makes you wonder what else there is

If this stuff happened @ Iowa the team I root for and love............
I would have not giving a second of thought to finding another team too root for and love, It'd been BYE.

Especially after the Sandusky CRAP ! The Parents put their trust in you, and you failed them !

You can mess with me, but not with my KIDS or Anyone else's children
Anything SEXUAL that U COVER UP ! BYE............................

No way could I have been a FAN of Penn ST or JOE P after that ! SAD SAD Story .

Reactions: DewHawk
fps Seriously fps

An atomic bomb could go off in crappy valley & I wouldn't shed a tear.
Schiano knew. Dick Anderson knew. Bwhahahahahahahahahahahahaha …
You Rutgres mouth breathing f*** muppets worship those pedo enablers. Own it you POS!

Something that shows just how badly Paterno was at handling sexual situations:

In the article, they mention a story about 2 football players raping a woman at the same time. When Paterno read the report in the meeting he actually had to ask out loud "How was that even possible?" before quickly saying "I don't want to know." Seriously, how naive must Paterno have been about sex to actually ask that question?

In retrospect, it's clear that Paterno had clear, gaping flaws when it came to handling sexual violence situations and that was his fatal flaw that destroyed and now defines his legacy.

I see they are having an E60 thing on Paterno tonight. Being a decade since all the Sandusky stuff happened. Curious what kind of light they'll paint him in. Considering it looks like they are interviewing his son and PSU apologist Millen amongst others.

Something that shows just how badly Paterno was at handling sexual situations:

In the article, they mention a story about 2 football players raping a woman at the same time. When Paterno read the report in the meeting he actually had to ask out loud "How was that even possible?" before quickly saying "I don't want to know." Seriously, how naive must Paterno have been about sex to actually ask that question?

In retrospect, it's clear that Paterno had clear, gaping flaws when it came to handling sexual violence situations and that was his fatal flaw that destroyed and now defines his legacy.
Didn’t Jesus say why do look at the spec in his eye and ignore the plank in your eye, or something like that? He also said that let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

I see they are having an E60 thing on Paterno tonight. Being a decade since all the Sandusky stuff happened. Curious what kind of light they'll paint him in. Considering it looks like they are interviewing his son and PSU apologist Millen amongst others.

Hooooooooze watching?

Just some reminders:

* Joe allegedly knew about the sex abuse as early as 1971. Sandusky would not be arrested for another 40 years (in 2011).

* Sandusky was an assistant coach for Penn State from 1969 to 1999.

* In 2001, Mike McQueary witnessed Sandusky with a young boy in the PSU showers. McQueary informed Joe Paterno and two campus administrators, none of whom contacted authorities.

* In November 2011, Jerry Sandusky was arrested and charged with sexually abusing eight boys.

Watch this:

It's hard to imagine how complex a human can be - there is no question he did a lot of good, and more and more there is no question he did a lot of bad. How can a person reconcile those things in their own minds?

I've said it many times before - great talent often comes with great demons. Bob Knight, Bill Cosby, just to name a couple.

It's a reminder not to put too many people on a pedestal. You get let down too often.

Just a reminder....

'The Paterno Legacy' airs tonight, April 18, 7 pm CT, on ESPN. It is a one hour program.

Watch the preview here:

If I watched that I'd need a new TV because I know, with absolute certainty, that I would throw something through the TV screen.

fps

Meanwhile, in more important and much more pleasant news, only 158 days until Iowa comes to Piscataway to play some football! Who is making the trip??

Reactions: Franisdaman
You must have missed this part of the article. Karen is one of the victims.

" When Paterno called, Karen had hoped that he was calling out of concern for her. Instead, Karen felt he was calling out of concern for his program. "He was kind of scaring me I think a little bit," she says.
so THAT'S why she's always going out of her way to be a bitch!!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT