ADVERTISEMENT

KCCI Investigates: Small Iowa town makes millions on speed camera tickets

Drive the phuquin’ Speed limit and no one gives a shit!

I think speed cameras, turn cameras are very efficient method of policing traffic violations. As long as things Re calibrated, in working order, posted and fair, let the driver beware....and let the driver pay!

Using police to enforce traffic flow is a tremendous waste of manpower and money.

I'm wondering how many of those tickets are on 163. I mean, they talked to the one dude with two in town, and mentioned the two cameras near the schools (one school is going away in the near future). But to give 25k tickets, a huge chunk of those have to be on 163.

So my question would be, WTF is PCPD doing worrying about 163? It goes through town purely because they annexed the area out to the highway. That one is nothing more than a money grab.

Lee County has been looking at adding speed cameras to Highway 27, Avenue of the Saints. I had an opportunity to speak with a member of the Board of Supervisors about this.

My question to him was, why do you want to do this? If it’s to make money, that’s been proven to work. If you put these up, you’ll gain huge amounts of revenue. If it’s to make things safer, that’s more in question.

My challenge to him was to find a study somewhere, anywhere, that shows a decrease in accidents where speed cameras exist. I’m not aware of any such findings. Speeds do go down in the area of the cameras, but accidents don’t.

I'm wondering how many of those tickets are on 163. I mean, they talked to the one dude with two in town, and mentioned the two near the schools (one school is going away in the near future). But to give 25k tickets, a huge chunk of those have to be on 163.

So my question would be, WTF is PCPD doing worrying about 163? It goes through town purely because they annexed the area out to the highway. That one is nothing more than a money grab.
According to the vid, #163 westbound is the #1 camera. I drive that route a couple of times a month, and travel 72 mph (cruise)....haven’t ever had an issue...just drive a damn speed limit!
#163 probably lies within the limits of PC and is within the area of responsibility. I lived on #163 in Pella....the old highway ran right thru the middle of town all my life there.

According to the vid, #163 westbound is the #1 camera. I drive that route a couple of times a month, and travel 72 mph (cruise)....haven’t ever had an issue...just drive a damn speed limit!
#163 probably lies within the limits of PC and is within the area of responsibility. I lived on #163 in Pella....the old highway ran right thru the middle of town all my life there.

I understand where it used to run. But when they built the 4 lane highway, it didn't run through any part of PC. PC moved the city limits south to encompass the highway from the exit on the west side to the turn off on the east. That turn off is more than a mile from where the old city limit is.

FTR, Monroe did the same, although the exit to 14 was within the old city limits, which went a bit south of the football stadium.

And "Just drive the speed limit!!!" from someone who just admitted to exceeding the speed limit every day by 7 mph is a bit disingenuous. I drive right at 60 on 14, and around 70 on 163 when going to Pella and back.

Speed cameras suck and should be illegal except for certain situations, such as in schools zones when children would be present. Those should be set at 1mph over signs everywhere mentioning the cameras and fines and have a hefty fine. Other that that, ban them.

I think speed cameras, turn cameras are very efficient method of policing traffic violations. As long as things Re calibrated, in working order, posted and fair, let the driver beware....and let the driver pay!

Using police to enforce traffic flow is a tremendous waste of manpower and money.

I'm copying what I posted from the last thread here. This has been my only speeding ticket from cameras because for the most part I "drive the phuquin speed limit" as you so eloquently put it. I still maintain it's an absolute money grab camera and Oelwein PD can phuck right off with their safety bullshit.

Initial response:

The new Oelwein ones are the sneaky ones. There’s an article in their local paper where the chief of police tries to defend one that’s total BS. Basically, it’s in a 25 zone but there’s a 35 zone that the camera is pointed towards. Of course everyone accelerates into it when they see the 35 sign. If you hit 35MPH before the 35 speed limit sign you’ll get a ticket. Sneaky phucks! Full disclosure, I may know about this one from experience.

Follow-up response after someone chimed in they got one in the mail:

Did you notice that on the video and in the picture they send you, they’ve positioned the camera so you can’t see the 35MPH sign in the background? I lol’d. That’s how you know they’re being cocks about it…getting a ticket for going 35 in a 25 with a 35MPH sign 10 ft ahead of you is bullshit and they know it.

There are going to be a ton of people that bitch about that one and I’m guessing already have since the chief had to comment on it. I’d be surprised if that one lives much longer, but then again maybe it’s a big money maker!

I just sent my $75 in and hope that it helps some meth head in Oelwein.

My problem with speed cameras is they are not used to increase safety but purely as a money grab. When intersection cameras were first installed in St Louis, I thought it was a great way to make intersections safer. Then cities installed new traffic lights and cameras at intersections where none had existed before. Then they shortened the amount of time yellow lights were on. Then they painted new stop lines on right turn lanes yards from the intersection where you couldn't even see oncoming traffic to ticket people for stopping in front of the designated line. All gimmicks to get more money.

People finally sued the state and won because people complained the state couldn't prove who was driving just by taking pictures of license plates. So cameras were removed everywhere in the state except Hannibal. Why the Hannibal exception is anyone's guess. On the Avenue of the Saints through Hannibal, they keep increasing then decreasing, then increasing, etc. speed limits to catch drivers not paying attention.

• Haha
Reactions: Kelsers
I'm copying what I posted from the last thread here. This has been my only speeding ticket from cameras because for the most part I "drive the phuquin speed limit" as you so eloquently put it. I still maintain it's an absolute money grab camera and Oelwein PD can phuck right off with their safety bullshit.

Initial response:

The new Oelwein ones are the sneaky ones. There’s an article in their local paper where the chief of police tries to defend one that’s total BS. Basically, it’s in a 25 zone but there’s a 35 zone that the camera is pointed towards. Of course everyone accelerates into it when they see the 35 sign. If you hit 35MPH before the 35 speed limit sign you’ll get a ticket. Sneaky phucks! Full disclosure, I may know about this one from experience.

Follow-up response after someone chimed in they got one in the mail:

Did you notice that on the video and in the picture they send you, they’ve positioned the camera so you can’t see the 35MPH sign in the background? I lol’d. That’s how you know they’re being cocks about it…getting a ticket for going 35 in a 25 with a 35MPH sign 10 ft ahead of you is bullshit and they know it.

There are going to be a ton of people that bitch about that one and I’m guessing already have since the chief had to comment on it. I’d be surprised if that one lives much longer, but then again maybe it’s a big money maker!

I just sent my $75 in and hope that it helps some meth head in Oelwein.
It may well be “a money grab” but does that permit folks to exceed the speed limits as they are posted?
I once got a speeding ticket for traveling 32 mph in a 25 mph school zone....at 1130pm! From that time on, when I used that street at that time of day, I consciously set my car’s cruise control at “25”....

I understand where it used to run. But when they built the 4 lane highway, it didn't run through any part of PC. PC moved the city limits south to encompass the highway from the exit on the west side to the turn off on the east. That turn off is more than a mile from where the old city limit is.

FTR, Monroe did the same, although the exit to 14 was within the old city limits, which went a bit south of the football stadium.

And "Just drive the speed limit!!!" from someone who just admitted to exceeding the speed limit every day by 7 mph is a bit disingenuous. I drive right at 60 on 14, and around 70 on 163 when going to Pella and back.

Speed cameras suck and should be illegal except for certain situations, such as in schools zones when children would be present. Those should be set at 1mph over signs everywhere mentioning the cameras and fines and have a hefty fine. Other that that, ban them.
Speed cameras cut you a big break before the start registering your speed. Cities are allowed to “annex” and again, my advice is “just drive the speed limit”.....or else bring your wallet/ checkbook.
Why in today’s world of technology would cities and towns waste LEO manpower on catching speeders when cameras are available and accurate....and work “24/7” with no coffee breaks?

• Sad
Reactions: Pinehawk
The placement of the 163 camera is AFTER the west bound Praire City exit. So there is no camera on the actual stretch back and forth between Prairie City to Monroe.

?????????

From the article:
Prairie City Mayor Chad Alleger says the town is safer because of the speed cameras and the one on Highway 163 was built because students in the area from Prairie City-Monroe High School drive on that highway.

"We have students that drive to and from both communities. That's huge," Alleger said. "For me, I have a daughter that just graduated, and with her driving to Monroe every day back and forth, you know, safety is number one."

It may well be “a money grab” but does that permit folks to exceed the speed limits as they are posted?
I once got a speeding ticket for traveling 32 mph in a 25 mph school zone....at 1130pm! From that time on, when I used that street at that time of day, I consciously set my car’s cruise control at “25”....

Did you read my post?

If you don't think that specific camera that I'm pointing out is total bullshit - one that is purposefully positioned to monitor you as you accelerate into the next posted speed limit sign - then you're more of a Pella goody two shoes than I thought!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: DolphLundgren
We've turned over our local law enforcement to private businesses whose primary goal is to make money.
It is wrong, and shouldn't be allowed.

If we don't need actual cops to enforce traffic laws anymore, then we don't needs as many cops, and cities with traffic cameras can start reducing their police forces.

Speed cameras cut you a big break before the start registering your speed. Cities are allowed to “annex” and again, my advice is “just drive the speed limit”.....or else bring your wallet/ checkbook.
Why in today’s world of technology would cities and towns waste LEO manpower on catching speeders when cameras are available and accurate....and work “24/7” with no coffee breaks?
Where do you draw the line between this and a total surveillance state? Should the gov add a device that monitors your cars speed 24/7? Should they be able to monitor and ticket when you don't make a complete stop at a stop sign? These things are possible already.

When does it cross the line from a safety issue > money grab > infringement on our right to privacy/freedom?

Reactions: Old_wrestling_fan
At the very least the police shouldn't get to keep the camera revenue. They literally did nothing to earn it.
That money should go to the general fund of the community. Not to buy the police department new toys after they subcontracted out their job to robots.
This is a bad trend, and if it's allowed to continue, people will regret it down the road.

So does this same logic pertain to women who want an abortion in a state that has restrictions? Just don't have "phuquin" sex if you aren't ready to have a baby, right joelbc1?

Reactions: DolphLundgren
The placement of the 163 camera is AFTER the west bound Praire City exit. So there is no camera on the actual stretch back and forth between Prairie City to Monroe.

?????????

From the article:
Prairie City Mayor Chad Alleger says the town is safer because of the speed cameras and the one on Highway 163 was built because students in the area from Prairie City-Monroe High School drive on that highway.

"We have students that drive to and from both communities. That's huge," Alleger said. "For me, I have a daughter that just graduated, and with her driving to Monroe every day back and forth, you know, safety is number one."

I've said it before, I'll say it again. If they'd just come out and say "Yeah, it's all about the benjamins people" vs the safety bullshit line - I'd be less annoyed by it.

I'm sure someone will chime in about how much safer they feel on the maniacal I-380 s-curve now that the cameras have saved the day though. <eyeroll>

Last edited:
At the very least the police shouldn't get to keep the camera revenue. They literally did nothing to earn it.
That money should go to the general fund of the community. Not to buy the police department new toys after they subcontracted out their job to robots.
This is a bad trend, and if it's allowed to continue, people will regret it down the road.

I can't agree with this enough. If / when I live in a jurisdiction that cameras are proposed I'm going to write in / show up / etc. and push for the money to go to budgets in the community that expressly are not the police. Parks, streets, etc.

There's only one option: We need to steal that camera and all of its data.

There's only one person for the job.....

giphy.gif

I'm wondering how many of those tickets are on 163. I mean, they talked to the one dude with two in town, and mentioned the two cameras near the schools (one school is going away in the near future). But to give 25k tickets, a huge chunk of those have to be on 163.

When I used to live in Virginia, it would be common to see city police sitting along an East-West interstate a few miles north or south of the town. Nothing but a cash grab.

You would also see county sheriffs vehicles as well… not quite as bad, but same deal.

So does this same logic pertain to women who want an abortion in a state that has restrictions? Just don't have "phuquin" sex if you aren't ready to have a baby, right joelbc1?
When did having sex become illegal?

Amazes me how many people would rather have a cop discreetly waiting for speeders and then run them down that to automate that function and let cops do real cop work.

• Sad
Reactions: Pinehawk

Amazes me how many people would rather have a cop discreetly waiting for speeders and then run them down that to automate that function and let cops do real cop work.
What do you think "real cop work" is?

So when did giving speeding tickets become, not cop work? Was that at the same time that being a leftist prosecuting attorney meant not prosecuting criminals?

The point? 25,000 people speeding through town is OK, or you think they should pay a couple of cops to chase people for their money?

There are not 25k people per year getting hit for driving "through" Prairie City each year. A huge amount of those are on the 4 lane, divided highway that skirts the "edge" of town. And I put "" around edge, because the city limits weren't out there until the 4 lane went in.

Reactions: EasyHawk
Lee County has been looking at adding speed cameras to Highway 27, Avenue of the Saints. I had an opportunity to speak with a member of the Board of Supervisors about this.

My question to him was, why do you want to do this? If it’s to make money, that’s been proven to work. If you put these up, you’ll gain huge amounts of revenue. If it’s to make things safer, that’s more in question.

My challenge to him was to find a study somewhere, anywhere, that shows a decrease in accidents where speed cameras exist. I’m not aware of any such findings. Speeds do go down in the area of the cameras, but accidents don’t.
You asked Lee County People to support their argument with a study? This is Lee County dude! Not exactly the Ivy League. Do these people even know what a study is?

I way writing speeding tix. If hSo when did giving speeding tickets become, not cop work? Was that at the same time it Abby and no one gives a phuque who u are! that being a leftist prosecuting attorney meant not prosecuting criminals?
You and your “leftist” agenda…both deserve a nice dry phuque. What a phuquin’ inefficient misuse of manpower to sit a trained LEO on a deserted stretch . Drive tge speed limit Abby and no one cares who the phuque u are!

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: abby97 and Pinehawk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT