ADVERTISEMENT

Keegan/Kris question

rrsteffe

Team MVP
Gold Member
Mar 28, 2014
A friend of mine says that Kenyon Murray insisted to schools that if they wanted Keegan, they also had to take Kris, kind of a package deal. Any truth to that or is he blowing hot air?

A friend of mine says that Kenyon Murray insisted to schools that if they wanted Keegan, they also had to take Kris, kind of a package deal. Any truth to that or is he blowing hot air?
Never did I say that. So whoever told you that is definitely not in my “proximity circle”. Just ask me straight up and I will tell you.

Never did I say that. So whoever told you that is definitely not in my “proximity circle”. Just ask me straight up and I will tell you.
Love getting the scoop from the "horses mouth" as it were! sorry KM senior, just a figure of speech...

LOL FYI I was probably a Hawkeye fan before you were even a glimmer in your daddy's eye. I told my friend he was full of sh*t and that I would query the forums about it. I got good answers. Unfortunately, yours isn't one of them.

Hopefully you aren't really friends with him. Some of us don't take too kindly those who try to bring down any part of the Murray family

I really don't think it would be so bad if a set of twins wanted to be recruited by and enrolled in a school together. And even requested it. Twins seem to be rather well-known in wrestling, even tho they have to wrestle at different weights in order for both to compete. Can't remember many in basketball--, going way way back there were the Van Arsdales(Ind) And some. in football. The problem would be the school having enough scholarships.
And thanks, K. for your time as a Hawk player and now we get to watch two more K's.

Reactions: Chief Turkeyscratch
If we ever had a situation where, say, Keegan got in foul trouble in the first half. I wonder if we would see Kris start in his place in the second half. (But surprise! It’s really still Keegan … they just switched jerseys in the locker room … shhhh!)

How would they know?

;)

Reactions: Torg
I really don't think it would be so bad if a set of twins wanted to be recruited by and enrolled in a school together. And even requested it. Twins seem to be rather well-known in wrestling, even tho they have to wrestle at different weights in order for both to compete. Can't remember many in basketball--, going way way back there were the Van Arsdales(Ind) And some. in football. The problem would be the school having enough scholarships.
And thanks, K. for your time as a Hawk player and now we get to watch two more K's.
Brook and Robin Lopez for Stanford (ca. 2008) come to mind.

Reactions: EagleHawk
Brook and Robin Lopez for Stanford (ca. 2008) come to mind.
I think it happens much of the time. But it's hard to tell because if one isn't as highly recruited and goes to a different school, we don't hear much about it. For instance the below list is all NBA players.
Cody and Caleb Martin (NC ST, Nevada)
The Morris Brothers (Kansas)
The Collins Brothers (Stanford)
Horace and Harvey Grant (Started at Clemson, Harvey transferred to Oklahoma after freshman year)
Miles and Mason Plumlee (Duke)

From Google it shows that Justin and Julian Champagnie went to separate colleges straight out of high school but that's all I could find.

There are some HOF/all-star players that have twin sisters. Victor Oladipo, Gordon Hayward, Shawn Marion, Rashard Lewis, Anthony Davis. I'm too lazy to look up if they played basketball at the same college.

I have a question! It's an unfair question to ask a father about his children, but I will anyway.

Keegan is a very special talent, but we are still getting to know Kris. Are their talents similar enough that we can look for Kris to develop in the same way with more PT? Two Keegan-type talents on the floor? 🥳

I have a question! It's an unfair question to ask a father about his children, but I will anyway.

Keegan is a very special talent, but we are still getting to know Kris. Are their talents similar enough that we can look for Kris to develop in the same way with more PT? Two Keegan-type talents on the floor? 🥳
They are very similar, complement each other, but I would say Kris is better in the mid-range and is more of a "scorer" than a "shooter". Kris is crazy smart and sometimes overthinks things, but time on the floor will be the best thing. I believe with the way the team is constructed this year, he will have a chance to surpass what Keegan did last year as a compliment to everyone on the floor.

When do we see the Murrder Twins on the court together? Secret weapon for B1G play?
As a father of twins, putting them on the floor at the same time will just result in them wrestling each other and fighting for the same ball.

Also worth noting that my twins are 5 years old. But I can only assume they’re going to be like this forever.

They are very similar, complement each other, but I would say Kris is better in the mid-range and is more of a "scorer" than a "shooter". Kris is crazy smart and sometimes overthinks things, but time on the floor will be the best thing. I believe with the way the team is constructed this year, he will have a chance to surpass what Keegan did last year as a compliment to everyone on the floor.

Just curious on how you think we will defend Purdue 15 days from now (Dec 3) and Illinois (Dec 6).

I think Kris will be needed badly in both games.

I would like to see K & K playing at the same time, rebounding the dang basketball.

Is Kris still out for tonight or do you think he will be able to play?

As a father of twins, putting them on the floor at the same time will just result in them wrestling each other and fighting for the same ball.

Also worth noting that my twins are 5 years old. But I can only assume they’re going to be like this forever.
Coached twin boys on a soccer team for around age 10. We'd be going over things in a huddle and then all of a sudden, for no reason, the twins would just go after each other. Grew in to great kids, but at the time it was hilarious! I bet you're having a hell of a fun time!

Reactions: Greenway4Prez
Coached twin boys on a soccer team for around age 10. We'd be going over things in a huddle and then all of a sudden, for no reason, the twins would just go after each other. Grew in to great kids, but at the time it was hilarious! I bet you're having a hell of a fun time!
It’s hilarious and frustrating all at the same time! Best friends and ultimate enemies!

Reactions: LarryMullenJr.
I remember when the Murray twins signed. Don't recall specific dates but about the same Iowa lost out to ISU for Xavier Foster and got run off the court by DePaul at home. At that time it looked like Iowa was heading to the end of the McCaffrey era. Since then Luka turned from a decent player to an All American. Iowa went onto what would have been two straight NCAA tournament seasons (sans pandemic cancellation of one), Keegan picking up where Luka left off as far as star potential and All-Big 10 type of player, and I have an overall optimism regarding the quality of players on the team and chances to compete for tournament appearances.

Of course I want Iowa to raise the level of play and get beyond the round of 32 in the tournament, but for now I will say I enjoy watching the team and the types of players and talent we seem to have. I am optimistic about their ability to compete in the Big 10 this year. Also still worried about the defense after the last game, but Ill just deny that worry for now. Kris getting back, Perkins showing he can play, maybe one of the 2 young big guys eventually contributing will help.

Reactions: BlackNGoldBleeder
I dunno... I had an identical twin brother. We pretty much did everything together. I knew other twins who weren't as close, but we were pretty much inseparable. We ended up going to Iowa together. There was never any question that we were going away to college together. We lived together in the same house up until the moment I lost him. If we had been in a situation like Kris and Keegan I can pretty much guarantee that our first choices on schools would have been the schools that were offering both of us a scholarship and we would have been open about that to whomever we were talking to.

BraveGorgeousBasenji-size_restricted.gif

Your thoughts on Jess Settles comparison of Keegan to Grant Hill during the last game?

• Haha
Reactions: nbanflfactory
BraveGorgeousBasenji-size_restricted.gif

Your thoughts on Jess Settles comparison of Keegan to Grant Hill during the last game?
I would agree with size, versatility and skills set. Where they really differ is Grant Hill was the "lead guard" and he initiated the offense. Keegan is more off the ball. Grant Hill was the toughest player I ever guarded and it was because of what I listed above.

Keegan seems similar to OG Anunoby. Very active on defense, can guard multiple positions, very springy. Will play a lot without the ball on offense. Keegan may become a better rebounder.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT