ADVERTISEMENT

Kelby Telander….anyone know anything?!

cmhawks99

HR Legend
Jul 23, 2002
He looks like one of those Iowa type opportunities? I don’t even remember him until I was on the our lads depth chart and saw him second string cash… Was 6-4, 200 pounds in high school. Played quarterback, wide receiver, defensive back and linebacker was all District his junior year, and apparently was injured his senior year and didn’t get to play….

Now he is 6-4 228 and listed as a cash?

Last edited:
Perhaps a PWO possibility?

Yes, I’m sorry if I worded it poorly he is a preferred walk on but he didn’t even play his senior year. It seems to me he may have upside through the roof. I just wondered if anybody’s watched him practice?

Or know anything about him? Seems to have started at some position as a Frosh, Soph, Jr, all district and then hurt!

Good athlete, tough smart kid. Definitely not a jack Campbell level athlete in high school but just a small step below that. Might have as high of ceiling though as he's always been twitchy and strong. I know our youth baseball teams could rarely get him out and he was good on the bball court as well.

Has better speed than Jack.

Well, he must be Uber athletic in space because I find it extremely intriguing. Somebody with his size is second team cash but not first or second team Leo?!

Which tells me he’s probably not strong enough in the box yet, but can play the way we want the cash to play in space, it’s very, very intriguing to me.

He may never show up on the field, but he is just a redshirt sophomore and he didn’t even play his senior season. I mean he looks to me like one of those classic cases of a kid that comes out of absolutely nowhere and is a monster athlete!

Again, why I don’t understand rankings and no I’m not gonna get into a ranking seminar here I get it the more 4 & five stars you get the better… But my Lord all mighty Iowa has found so many highly athletic kids in the walk on & two*variety that it borders on remarkable at this point in time!

On a corollary note, I think it’s worth mentioning our recent Cash players are extremely physical. Sebastian Castro is not only a fine athlete, but he hits like a ton of lead!

But I am super intrigued by this Telander kid!

Last edited:
Well, he must be Uber athletic in space because I find it extremely intriguing. Somebody with his size is second team cash but not first or second team Leo?!

Which tells me he’s probably not strong enough in the box yet, but can play the way we want the cash to play in space, it’s very, very intriguing to me.

He may never show up on the field, but he is just a redshirt sophomore and he didn’t even play his senior season. I mean he looks to me like one of those classic cases of a kid that comes out of absolutely nowhere and is a monster athlete!

Again, why I don’t understand rankings and no I’m not gonna get into a ranking seminar here I get it the more foreign five stars you get the better… But my Lord of mighty Iowa has found so many highly athletic kids in the walk on in two*variety the borders on remarkable at this point in time!

On a corollary note, I think it’s worth mentioning our recent Cash players are extremely physical. Sebastian. Castro is not only a fine athlete, but he hits like a ton of lead!

WOB alert 🚨

Reactions: Chucksizzle1

Again, why I don’t understand rankings and no I’m not gonna get into a ranking seminar here I get it the more foreign five stars you get the better… But my Lord of mighty Iowa has found so many highly athletic kids in the walk on in two*variety the borders on remarkable at this point in time!

On a corollary note, I think it’s worth mentioning our recent Cash players are extremely physical. Sebastian. Castro is not only a fine athlete, but he hits like a ton of lead!

If he is 228, that is kind of light yet for a 6'4" frame.

Reactions: cmhawks99
Him and Rexroth are both interesting future potential contributors. Very similar athletes though Jackson is a bit more lean. Strong as hell though and also a high level multi sport athlete. Pretty sure Rexroth holds an Iowa position group squat record already.

Him and Rexroth are both interesting future potential contributors. Very similar athletes though Jackson is a bit more lean. Strong as hell though and also a high level multi sport athlete. Pretty sure Rexroth holds an Iowa position group squat record already.
Look for Rexroth to continue to emerge for the Hawks. Saw action in 10 games last year. Usually when walk-ons earn the trust of Woods like that ... it's a sign of good things to come. I always originally thought that he was pushing at safety ... but word over the past year or so indicated that he was getting work at LB. I wonder if that work at LB was at Linebacker-LB ... or more CASH-LB (more of our hybrid spot). As others indicated ... Jaxon is more on the lean side.

Yes, I’m sorry if I worded it poorly he is a preferred walk on but he didn’t even play his senior year. It seems to me he may have upside through the roof. I just wondered if anybody’s watched him practice?

Or know anything about him? Seems to have started at some position as a Frosh, Soph, Jr, all district and then hurt!

His injury was an absolute freak accident. I don't remember all the details but I think they were redoing his kitchen and a light fixture fell on him and he cut his arm up really bad. This was right before school started/ football started his senior year.

He also has a cochlear implant and is completely deaf in one ear. When people were being annoying in class he'd just inplug it. The only time I ever noticed it being a hindrance was in basketball practice because we would scrimmage and kids would come up on that side and poke the ball away. Other than that, I never noticed anything and always thought he would be a D1 caliber athlete.

I posted this before but Kelby is an awesome kid and fantastic representative of our state. Always thanked his teachers and coaches, worked hard all the time, smart, didn't get in trouble. Cheering hard for him to see the field.

6-4 228 4.5 forty and 38.5 vertical jump. Another instate athletic freak.

Yes he's an athletic freak but didn't have even an FCS offer let alone a P5 one. He doesn't run FAT 4.5. That would have made him the 2nd fastest LB at the NFL combine. Just stop.

That said...definitely looks like a guy we will see on the field in the coming years, even if it is mostly on special teams. Gotta pull for a kid like this.

Yes he's an athletic freak but didn't have even an FCS offer let alone a P5 one. He doesn't run FAT 4.5. That would have made him the 2nd fastest LB at the NFL combine. Just stop.

That said...definitely looks like a guy we will see on the field in the coming years, even if it is mostly on special teams. Gotta pull for a kid like this.

Didn’t play his entire Sr year, with a significant injury, which undoubtedly is why he didn’t get offered.

That would matter none for an "athletic freak."

Meh…not sure. Obscure small high school, okay numbers as a Jr playing multiple positions, and not focusing on one… And then not playing at all… I would guess, being an athletic freak, is the only reason I was offered him a PWO!

I’m sure he had plenty of offers for partial scholarships to D2 or V3 school

Meh…not sure. Obscure small high school, okay numbers as a Jr playing multiple positions, and not focusing on one… And then not playing at all… I would guess, being an athletic freak, is the only reason I was offered him a PWO!

I’m sure he had plenty of offers for partial scholarships to D2 or V3 school

Your bar for freak is set freakishly low. He's a good athlete.

his forty time is on line and it’s a 4.5. That is very good but is not that rare. A 38.5 vertical is probably just as rare.

Ok Hawkeye insider article December 2020 states he runs a 4.52 forty yard dash and he has a 38.5 vertical. I suppose they are just lying. A 4.52 forty is very good but not that rare, you do not know what you are talking about

Ok Hawkeye insider article December 2020 states he runs a 4.52 forty yard dash and he has a 38.5 vertical. I suppose they are just lying. A 4.52 forty is very good but not that rare, you do not know what you are talking about

Don’t sweat it he’s like that… Meaning Spooner and I also question a 4.52high school time but come on man he’s 64 230 and listed @ cash and I would assume a 38+ vertical leap would be hard to fake and or easy to dispute!

I’m pretty sure Spooner is one of the types who often Pooh-poo our kids & their speed or athleticism…

I chuckle every time I think of Riley, McCarron and our fans wondering why in the hell he played until he ran a 4.3,7 forty and then they wanted to know why he didn’t play more lol.

his forty time is on line and it’s a 4.5. That is very good but is not that rare. A 38.5 vertical is probably just as rare.

Here is another way to look at it. We have had plenty of linebackers run in the four fives to four sevens and he’s 64 238 now listed at cash which we expect to move a little bit better in space and be a little faster than our linebackers, so yeah I’d say he’s pretty damn athletic.!!

Not saying they are lying. I'm saying it is likely hand timed. Again, he would have been the 2nd fastest linebacker at the NFL combine this year. Do you not see how fantastically unlikely it is that a reserve linebacker at Iowa would have been the 2nd fastest LB at the NFL combine while he was still in HS? And that he didn't also get a SINGLE D-1 offer? Not even FCS?

He has good speed for his size. That doesn't make him a freak. DK Metcalf is his size. THAT is a freak.

Not saying they are lying. I'm saying it is likely hand timed. Again, he would have been the 2nd fastest linebacker at the NFL combine this year. Do you not see how fantastically unlikely it is that a reserve linebacker at Iowa would have been the 2nd fastest LB at the NFL combine while he was still in HS? And that he didn't also get a SINGLE D-1 offer? Not even FCS?

He has good speed for his size. That doesn't make him a freak. DK Metcalf is his size. THAT is a freak.

We get it cuz…stay involved, in a couple years if he becomes relevant & runs a 4.55 we will remind you…

PS…a believe DJ Metcalf ran in the 4.3,s and that is next level!!

Reactions: Stephen Hawk King
according to yahoo nfl combine forty yard dash times in 2023, Telanders 4.52 would rank 9th for a linebacker and most of those guys are heavier than him. I don’t think it’s that ”elite” or rare.

his 38.5 vertical leap would rank #1 for linebackers in both 2022 and 2023, and I don’t think vertical leap is exaggerated or illegitimate.

he looks like a pretty special athlete imo

Reactions: cmhawks99
according to yahoo nfl combine forty yard dash times in 2023, Telanders 4.52 would rank 9th for a linebacker and most of those guys are heavier than him. I don’t think it’s that ”elite” or rare.

his 38.5 vertical leap would rank #1 for linebackers in both 2022 and 2023, and I don’t think vertical leap is exaggerated or illegitimate.

he looks like a pretty special athlete imo

The NFL combine is FAT. This kid’s assistant coach or dad timed his with a stop watch.

Reactions: CookyMonster
right, but a 4.5 is not that unbelievable Especially if he was about 220 when he ran it. Many HS teams have a couple of kids who can do that, usually they are about 175 pounds though. this kid is obviously a really good athlete if he has a 38.5 vertical.

I have known Kelby since he was in middle school. My son and Kelby are good friends. He is a good athlete, he was always the best on the field or court. I see him regularly and the team is trying to put weight on him. He told me that playing behind Campbell was incredible. He has learned so much from Jack. The important thing is that this kid is as good as it gets. It’s so easy to root for him. I always get a big smile and a hug when I see him. He is living his dream. I wish Kelby all the success in the world because I know that he is working his butt off. What a great kid.

Last edited:

If DK is your standard, Iowa has never had an athletic freak ever.
I've never seen him play, but if Kelby can make those numbers show up on the field I'd say that's pretty darn athletic as far as Hawkeye players go, especially at his size. I couldn't care less about the semantics of the word "freak," I'm just happy he's a Hawkeye.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT