ADVERTISEMENT

Kenyon Murray puts it all in Perspective

We're only special if we use Garza as the center of our offense. Against great teams like Gonzaga, Iowa can't play school yard basketball and expect to come out on top. Going away from Garza during the 1st half is what killed Iowa today.
I understand that last years loss at Nebraska was contributed to the "heated" loss to Penn St and I understand that Nebraska wasn't going to let Luka beat them but Iowa shot poorly in that game too and looked bad doing it.
I don't know what's wrong with Bohannan but maybe it's time to have him come off the bench. It's now the 6th game he's not looked good, and I agree hockey line changes don't work. Take out 1 starter at a time and leave in as many shooters as we can. Putting in Patrick, Murray, and Toussaint is not a way to maintain consistency on offensive or defense. JMO

Agreed with all of this.

Thats what makes this game so disappointing.

Even with Suggs having the game of his life shooting and Iowa collectively probably having its worst outside shooting game of the year, there were multiple pathways to still get the W.

Missing free throws and letting a guard get 18 rebounds.

I wish we could get a rematch.

How often do we shoot 18% from three? How often do we shoot 54% from the charity stripe? How often do both of those things happen in the same game?

Gonzaga is great, but iowa missed a lot of open looks today. They did not. Gotta learn to toughen up and get stops when the shots aren’t falling, but the Hawks aren’t that far out of this game if they shoot even close to their season averages.

How often do we shoot 18% from three? How often do we shoot 54% from the charity stripe? How often do both of those things happen in the same game?

Gonzaga is great, but iowa missed a lot of open looks today. They did not. Gotta learn to toughen up and get stops when the shots aren’t falling, but the Hawks aren’t that far out of this game if they shoot even close to their season averages.
i am glad that all you described happened in the nonconference and not in the B1G or in the Big Dance.

I hope this game is an eye opener for the team.

its crazy, too, that Iowa was averaging 100 ppg coming into this game. And if we had scored 100 we still only win by 1 point. So, as we all know, we have to play D, too.

There’s a learning curve for programs playing in high profile games like this. Zags had the advantage there too.

I’m more encouraged than disappointed. They could have let that turn into an embarrassment but they didn’t. We’ll get better from here.

This should be a wake up call to this team. We play a lot of great teams in our league and if we are not ready to play on any given night, we will lose. If you want to be elite then you must play elite. Today we were far from it.
We have a really good team, and justifiably highly ranked IMO, with some major deficiencies on the Defensive end. This isn't the last game where they'll shoot poorly, get out rebounded, and lose.

One horrible stretch in the first half ended this game. I'm confident this group can close out close games with guys who have proven they don't wilt under pressure, but you can't have the AWFUL stretch they had on the Offensive end and expect to come back from that against the Gonzaga's of the world especially, to make that experience pay off.

I do think this team is very capable of being a Final Four type of team, but luck plays into it as well, and they'll more than likely have to be more lucky than good to pull it off (and Defense doesn't always win Championships but it sure doesn't hurt to have SOME of it, and that's not going to happen).

Yep. Hawks could have very easily won this game if they could rebounded better, made a couple more free throws and a couple more threes going down.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT